Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shilian16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
hello guys recently i clean my ipad on the settings u know...delete everythings and reset settings and when u do it u auto get 7.1.2 version update ... after 2 days that ive used him i heard music and suddenly he turned off and wont reboot and after i plug him in the computer the itunes tell there is a ipad on recovery mode and ive to restore him but when im trying to restore there is a logo and a meter butt the meter doesnt ever start to move on.......please help

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
hello guys recently i clean my ipad on the settings u know...delete everythings and reset settings and when u do it u auto get 7.1.2 version update ... after 2 days that ive used him i heard music and suddenly he turned off and wont reboot and after i plug him in the computer the itunes tell there is a ipad on recovery mode and ive to restore him but when im trying to restore there is a logo and a meter butt the meter doesnt ever start to move on.......please help

Which iPad do you have? 1? 2? Air? Mini?

Whatever, make sure your iPad is fully charged and that you have the latest version of iTunes (Ver. 11.4.0.18), then try again and walk away. It can take quite a while.

Borgador17

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
I am having almost the same issue with my Wife's iPad 2. She hasn't used it in over a year and the battery ran down. I charged it up last night and turned it on. Nothing appeared to happen. No apple logo, nothing. On a hunch I plugged it into my computer, and sure enough iTunes popped up and said the iPad is in DFU mode and needs to be restored.
I don't remember what version of iOS it had, but iTunes wanted to install iOS 7.whatever. I said ok, and it downloaded it, and started extracting it. After a while iTunes said waiting on the iPad. The computer made a few connect and disconnect sounds. The screen on the iPad stayed totally blank. Then the apple icon popped up with a grey progress bar. The bar never starts to fill with white. I left it for a few hours and came back. Still no progress.
I made sure iTunes was up to date and restarted with a different usb port and cable. No luck.
So I tried it on my Wife's computer. No luck there either. Same thing, DFU mode, extract iOS 7, apple icon with bar, but the progress bar never starts.
I am going to leave it overnight and tomorrow during work, but I don't have high hopes.
Anyone have any suggestions?

---sent from my iPad air, using tapatalk

ashmarie73

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I'm having a similar problem. I updated to 8.0 and was just using it then randomly it shut off. Now it won't turn back on, gets stuck with the black screen and Apple logo.

iPad 2

HELP!

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I'm having a similar problem. I updated to 8.0 and was just using it then randomly it shut off. Now it won't turn back on, gets stuck with the black screen and Apple logo.

iPad 2

HELP!

Had a similar issue. Updated from 7? to 8.02 on iPad2 yesterday. Screen just went black about 10 minutes ago. It wasn't off because I could hear the email ding. Couldn't turn off and on because I couldn't see the screen to swipe anything. I pressed the home and on button, I heard it take a screen shot and then I had a white screen. Ended up doing a reset and it eventually came back up.

Safari has been freezing and crashing since the update, so I don't have much hope for my old 2. I've been thinking about a new one for awhile. I hoped it would last until the new model comes out, but I just spent a lot on my iPhone 6+, it's hard for me to do both in the same year, let alone the same month.

sprice01

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Had a similar issue. Updated from 7? to 8.02 on iPad2 yesterday. Screen just went black about 10 minutes ago. It wasn't off because I could hear the email ding. Couldn't turn off and on because I couldn't see the screen to swipe anything. I pressed the home and on button, I heard it take a screen shot and then I had a white screen. Ended up doing a reset and it eventually came back up.

Safari has been freezing and crashing since the update, so I don't have much hope for my old 2. I've been thinking about a new one for awhile. I hoped it would last until the new model comes out, but I just spent a lot on my iPhone 6+, it's hard for me to do both in the same year, let alone the same month.

I have the same problem. Ipad 4th gen. Was on phone wit Apple ystd and no success. any ideas? cant restore...nothing.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My iPad 2 running iOS 7.1.2 has mysteriously turned itself off twice in a month, never happened before. Both times my battery was around 45% when it happened.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I have the same problem. Ipad 4th gen. Was on phone wit Apple ystd and no success. any ideas? cant restore...nothing.

I'm not an expert, but I remember after one IOS update awhile back, my iPad was essentially toast. I sort of remember connecting to my computer and restoring through iTunes. Luckily I had everything backed up in iTunes (pre-Cloud.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.