Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I just got back from the local store and here are my impression of the new phones.

iPhone 6 : As soon as I picked it up, it felt great in the hand. I have larger hands, though it felt really good. One handed use feels great, the phone's rounded corners really do feel fantastic. I protruding camera, I did not even notice, was a non issue for me. The build quality if first class, the was the glass fits into the phone is very well done.

The new phone feels like an Air ipad, when I first picked it up I thought it was a fake demo model, and to my surprise the screen swiped :) . It might take some time for people to get used to the transition from the more sold feeling 5 to the 6.

The only negative I have, the gold with the reception lines, looks ugly! The silver is a little better, and the black, the least "ugly" this is the only part of the phone that I dislike. I am glad I pre-ordered a black one this time.

iPhone 6 Plus: Was not as large as I expected. Once I held it in my hand it felt good, not excellent like the iPhone 6 (as in natural feeling), but it felt very good. I was quite happy I pre-ordered the 6 Plus cause it felt good, and I could handle a bigger phone that was so thin. Than the big issue hit home, I tried to use the home button using one hand, major fail. One handed use, well accessing the home button is so awkward, you will drop your phone at some stage.

Screens : To be honest, I did not pixel peak, both the screens looked great!

Camera : Took shots of the same item, and the Plus shot was sharper, looks like the IS really does help.

To summarise, I believe the iPhone 6 has nailed it in regards to being the perfect phone for existing users. It feels so much better than my 5S, It just feels awkward going back to the smaller size. The Plus is going to feel awkward to many existing users, unless you have used something this size, years of being used to using a phone with one hand, will have you frustrated that the home buttons is not accessible.

If you ordered a iPhone 6, you will love it. If you got the Plus......you might change your mind....maybe.

I have to admit that I went in today thinking the 6 would not impress me, I was wrong. Though now I have to decide if I will cancel my Plus pre-order and get a 6 instead, that home button feels wrong.... or do I change the way I use a phone... decisions.

For all the people getting their phones today. Enjoy!

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
I tried them at lunch time (in Sydney), really liked both of them. Instantly feel thin and light.

The one thing that made me decide though was trying maps one handed (something I often do when out and about), and I nearly dropped the 'Plus

The other thing is that though the 5.5 is physically 17% bigger, it only displays 10% more (in terms of available logical pixels)

MH01

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I tried them at lunch time (in Sydney), really liked both of them. Instantly feel thin and light.

The one thing that made me decide though was trying maps one handed (something I often do when out and about), and I nearly dropped the 'Plus

The other thing is that though the 5.5 is physically 17% bigger, it only displays 10% more (in terms of available logical pixels)

That's what surprised me about both, they felt great in hand. And like yourself I almost dropped the plus trying to hit the home button. It will just require a different approach in using it.

That line outside the Syd store looked insane!

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Nice innards - but soooo ugly!

I finally got into an Apple Store to take a gander at the new phones - I gotta say that I'm a bit disappointed. The phone now looks a lot like an Android phone - albeit a very well made one. The "black" phone is too light and the gold is - well, too gold! Almost garish compared to the previous "champaign" iPhone 5s. None of the colors are very appealing to me. And that stupid antenna strip? Common! Couldn't they at least match it more precisely with the metal colors??? I will probably still get one - but certainly not because of the looks...just for the better camera and Apple Pay....If they had updated the 5s with the new tech, it would be no contest - 5s definitely.

I think Apple listened a bit too much to the press - just because there is definitely demand for larger phones, it doesn't mean there is no demand for smaller ones (to wit, the iPhone 5s with its puny 4" screen was the best selling phone in the world!). Neither my wife nor daughter want the new iPhone. The wife is sticking with her iPhone 5 and my daughter will upgrade to the 5s (and only because all our iPhones developed some kind of defect in the camera).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.