Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chasgooses

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I just picked up my regular 6 and I have to say it's pretty big. Don't get me wrong, the big screen is beautiful, but its kind of hard to use with one hand. Hopefully I get used to it, but kind of wishing they made a smaller one.

LandoVol

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
I just picked up my regular 6 and I have to say it's pretty big. Don't get me wrong, the big screen is beautiful, but its kind of hard to use with one hand. Hopefully I get used to it, but kind of wishing they made a smaller one.

They do. It's called the iPhone 5S

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Some of you people must have tiny hands if you think the 4.7" is too big.

chasgooses

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I mean I was upgrading from a 4s so the difference is more drastic. Already getting more used to it. Still I wonder if they will make a 4" model once the 5c and 5s start phasing out. Also yes I have short stubby hands, which obviously doesn't help.

SetHutBlue42

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I don't understand how people are saying 4.7" is too big. I've got 4.8" and my wife never says I'm too big. Or even big.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
To those saying to "Buy a 5s":

- Worse camera for both video and picture taking
- Worse processer
- Worse battery life
- Sharp edged design
- Thicker
- No NFC (Yes, ApplePay is a big deal)

Those are sacrifices people will make when purchasing last year's 4" model. I'm banking Apple will create an iPhone Air in a few years. This will allow them to keep the 4" design, and give people a reason to be excited for a smaller phone.

Apple changed their strategy with the iPad Mini's processor bump, you shouldn't have to settle for last year's specs because you want a smaller screen.

gravage

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Some of you people must have tiny hands if you think the 4.7" is too big.

I like to call them toddler hands. They must also have hawk-like vision if they enjoy looking at a 4" screen all day. I have 20/20 and I can't stand using anything under 4.7".

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
This thing is freaking perfect. The screen on the iphone 5 was too small for me as my vision is not that great. Now I want better battery life for the 6 versus the 5. Time will tell but at least I cleared the first hurdle.

gravage

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
To those saying to "Buy a 5s":

- Worse processer

- Worse battery life

- Sharp edged design

- Thicker

Those are sacrifices people will make when purchasing last year's 4" model. I'm banking Apple will create an iPhone Air in a few years. This will allow them to keep the 4" design, and give people a reason to be excited for a smaller phone.

Apple changed their strategy with the iPad Mini's processor bump, you shouldn't have to settle for last year's specs because you want a smaller screen.

Actually, if Apple simply shrunk the bezels and concentrated on form factor, rather than thinness, they could have a 4.7" phone that fits perfectly in the hand. The Moto X (2013) is a perfect example of this. Part of the reason the new iPhones feel so big is because they are. They're unnecessarily big for their footprint.

Other manufacturers have shown that you can make a relatively small large phone. The iPhone 6 Plus is even larger than the Note 4 (which has a 5.7" screen) and the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 is almost the same size and it has a 6" screen.

You don't have to have a tiny screen to have a one-handed phone.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Agree that the iPhone 6 is essentially the largest 4.7" phone around.
Same thickness, but smaller footprint would have been better.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
It will really depend to sales of the 5s. If the demand is still there for next several months, really see Apple releasing upgraded specs on a 4" model along side the 4.7 and 5.5. But besides NFC, not enough performance change to warrant an updated 4" model this year.

pboy207

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Actually, if Apple simply shrunk the bezels and concentrated on form factor, rather than thinness, they could have a 4.7" phone that fits perfectly in the hand. The Moto X (2013) is a perfect example of this. Part of the reason the new iPhones feel so big is because they are. They're unnecessarily big for their footprint.

Other manufacturers have shown that you can make a relatively small large phone. The iPhone 6 Plus is even larger than the Note 4 (which has a 5.7" screen) and the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 is almost the same size and it has a 6" screen.

You don't have to have a tiny screen to have a one-handed phone.

+1

I agree. I have a HTC One M7 which is basically same dimensions as the iphone 6. HTC definitely could have made the phone smaller, then it would have been perfect (except for the camera). I think some of these phone sizes are getting out of hand. Phones like the 6+ and note 4 are great, but I just can't see using it as my daily driver. In a perfect world I would have two phones to switch between depending on my needs for that day.

Laurence Eckert

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014

They do.... its called the iPhone 5S

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I'm more concerned with carry it around. Since I don't often wear clown pants with huge pockets, I would like a smaller phone.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009

Worse doesn't mean bad. I have never heard anyone complaining about 5s' cameras.
Also, many won't even notice the difference.

- Worse processer

iPhones have processers? :confused:
If you meant processors, then you are not making any point.
What do you mean by "worse processor"? That the 5s' processor is not enough to handle all it does, or just that in order to boost your self confidence you need more Hz?

- Worse battery life

Under what usage pattern?

- Sharp edged design

I like that design. Many do like that. What's your point again?

- Thicker

Without I case to add some thickness, I could not tolerate how thin these phones are.
I would prefer thicker phones.

No, ApplePay is not a big deal for everyone.

In the end, OP, buy a 5s. ;)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Worse means worse. You said bad.

Of course I meant processor, it was a typo. If you're confused, you're a dolt. If you don't know what the word dolt means, it means stupid. Additionally, I do notice a difference in speed on the iPhone 6 compared to the iPhone 5s.

Under the specs listed on Apple's site.

My point is that the phone feels more rough in the hand, that one is subjective...moving along.

Without I case? :confused:
If you meant "without a case", another subjective argument. At least with the thinner phone it's possible to make it thicker by using a case.

ApplePay is a big deal, but clearly not everyone uses credit cards on a daily basis.

In the end, OP, buy a 5s. I loved mine and it's a great phone ;).

Worse doesn't mean bad. I have never heard anyone complaining about 5s' cameras.
Also, many won't even notice the difference.

iPhones have processers? :confused:
If you meant processors, then you are not making any point.
What do you mean by "worse processor"? That the 5s' processor is not enough to handle all it does, or just that in order to boost your self confidence you need more Hz?

Under what usage pattern?

I like that design. Many do like that. What's your point again?

Without I case to add some thickness, I could not tolerate how thin these phones are.
I would prefer thicker phones.

No, ApplePay is not a big deal for everyone.

In the end, OP, buy a 5s. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.