Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I agree 100% The local Apple certified repair shop charged me $105 to replace my HD in my 27" iMac

My local one (Gravis, here in Germany) said I need to pay for their special C-Breeze chip that stops the fan speed changing. I told them that I thought that was only the case if I replaced the HD with another 3.5" but they won't change their quote. Plus, they won't let me provide my own drive (I want an 840 Pro). Instead, I have to pay them for the 840 Evo (which is more expensive there than the Pro is on Amazon) plus 5 hours labour at 20€/hour. Hmm. Does your iMac still keep the warranty (or AppleCare) now that it's been opened up by a certified store?

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, you can use the small SSD for Windows. Windows can be installed on the same physical disk, or on a separate disk without problem. I run Windows8 on an external Thunderbolt 256GB SSD (LaCie "Rugged") on my 2012 iMac.

While there are conversion brackets (IcyDock and simple metal ones), I would probably simply use "velcro" to attach the lightweight SSD.

-howard

Thanks!

MrMJS

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
My local one (Gravis, here in Germany) said I need to pay for their special C-Breeze chip that stops the fan speed changing. I told them that I thought that was only the case if I replaced the HD with another 3.5" but they won't change their quote. Plus, they won't let me provide my own drive (I want an 840 Pro). Instead, I have to pay them for the 840 Evo (which is more expensive there than the Pro is on Amazon) plus 5 hours labour at 20€/hour. Hmm. Does your iMac still keep the warranty (or AppleCare) now that it's been opened up by a certified store?

My iMac is a 2009, so the warranty was long gone. The technician told me what specs I needed and said I could use any HD. I bought a 2GB drive from Newegg.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Which is what's expected as your Samsung 830 is a 2.5" SSD which doesn't draw power from the 12 volt line like a 3.5" HDD would do. Drop in any 3.5" HDD and since you're using >128gb blade SSD you will have higher RPM fan speed=noise

Question:

I have the Fusion setup in my 2012 iMac (128GB SSD + 1TB Seagate). If I replace the Seagate 1TB 3.5" disk with, say, - a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" SSD, will there be any fan issues at this point? Or do fan issues only occur with 3.5" disks?

Thanks!

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Question:

I have the Fusion setup in my 2012 iMac (128GB SSD + 1TB Seagate). If I replace the Seagate 1TB 3.5" disk with, say, - a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" SSD, will there be any fan issues at this point? Or do fan issues only occur with 3.5" disks?

Thanks!

Hey. Look back a page or so to my previous posts as I had the exact same question. Basically, it doesn't seem like that will cause any problems as it's a 2.5" drive. I've not done it yet but once my replacement adhesive strips arrive I'll be grabbing a 512GB 940 Pro and cracking it open!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hey. Look back a page or so to my previous posts as I had the exact same question. Basically, it doesn't seem like that will cause any problems as it's a 2.5" drive. I've not done it yet but once my replacement adhesive strips arrive I'll be grabbing a 512GB 940 Pro and cracking it open!

Oooh fun. Well do let us know how you get on. :)

I do want to replace the 1TB Seagate with an SSD, so it would be good to see if this causes any issues. On my 2009 27" iMac I just had to short out the fan-sensor cable to resolve the fan noise, but on the 2012/2013 that's not possible. Since I use Windows (Boot Camp) a lot, I'd rather not have to do fan software since I'm not sure how well that would even work in Windows.

Anyway, good luck! Your results will determine my course of action! :eek:

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Oooh fun. Well do let us know how you get on. :)

I do want to replace the 1TB Seagate with an SSD, so it would be good to see if this causes any issues. On my 2009 27" iMac I just had to short out the fan-sensor cable to resolve the fan noise, but on the 2012/2013 that's not possible. Since I use Windows (Boot Camp) a lot, I'd rather not have to do fan software since I'm not sure how well that would even work in Windows.

Anyway, good luck! Your results will determine my course of action! :eek:

Haha, ok. Well, it might be a couple of weeks before I manage to get it done but I'll definitely report back. If you're good to go then there's a lot of solid advice in this thread. Good luck!

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Question:

Thanks!

You'll be fine as your ssd won't be drawing any power from the 12 volt power line only the 5 volt.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Groovy. Thanks. I'm inching closer to popping in a 1TB SSD...

Ah, yeah. The 1TB Evo is really tempting. As of now, I'm still set on the 940 Pro. If storage was more of an issue I'd get the Evo and be happy but I don't need that much so I think I'll be getting the 512GB Pro. Any ideas on which bracket to use? I'm still waiting for my replacement adhesive strips to be dispatched.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Ah, yeah. The 1TB Evo is really tempting. As of now, I'm still set on the 940 Pro. If storage was more of an issue I'd get the Evo and be happy but I don't need that much so I think I'll be getting the 512GB Pro. Any ideas on which bracket to use? I'm still waiting for my replacement adhesive strips to be dispatched.

Haven't gotten that far yet. Assume you mean the 840 Pro, fyi...

zuri

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2013
I just want to say special thanks to R.OG and zuri for their great contribution to this thread. Following the notes from R.OG and the tutorial that zuri posted on vimeo (http://vimeo.com/63435766), I've successfully upgraded my 27" 2012 iMac to a i7-3770 CPU after using it with a stock i5-3470 for about 10 months.

I am glad it helps :)

tylerdemar

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Indiana
1 of 2 SSDs unmounting

So I've been running the dual samsung evos via maxupgrades kit for about 2 months. I'm having an issue with one of the SSDs unmounting. Looks like the one that's using the module. Anybody having similar issues? (Also, I'm running them in RAID 0, not sure if that matters)

sunstarfire

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Germany
Of course ... any drive can fail, whether single or in RAID. That is why we all keep backups, so we don't have to worry that our main drive will fail (which they don't all that often). Simply repair the drive and restore from your backup in the event that you have a failure. Meanwhile, enjoy the speed. :)

No big deal...

Wrong. If you create a single (virtual) drive out of two or more physical drives, you will double (or triple) the risk of a failure. It certainly is a big deal, and people should be aware of the fact that it is twice as likely that their drive fails. Listening to you makes me feel sick, because that is exactly the attitude that makes people lose their data.

To reduce the risk, create redundancy. Create a RAID which will copy all the data on one disk on the fly to another one, that way if one drive fails, replace it, and you are done. With your suggestion, if either one of the drives fail, I need to rebuild the whole thing and restore from a backup.

Which, by the way, is also becoming more and more challenging.... with 6TB of data, do you want to backup all of that onto DVDs or BDs?

Afgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
Mount Molloy Australia
upgrade hints

Hi to all who have contributed to this thread so far and to those who are seeking info on upgrading your 27" 2012 imac.

I have a 2012 imac i7 3.4, 16gb of ram, 680MX 2gb with 2 x OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD drives installed with the Maxupgrades dual SSD kit, external Superdrive and a Vantec NexStar HX4 quad 3.5 Inch HDD external enclosure.

Here are some tips on what you need to know about upgrading your mac:

Go to iFixit for complete teardown guides:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

1) When opening your imac - take your time and use the right tools to remove the LCD screen as the adhesive is only narrow but VHB (Very High Bond).

All tools needed for the job can be sourced from:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store

or try:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accessories/Tool_Sets.

New adhesive strip Kits for the 2012/13 can also be bought here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iMac-Intel-27-Inch-EMC-2546-and-EMC-2639-Adhesive-Strips/IF174-005 @ $19.95 ex freight or @ $14.95 ex freight (strips only)

or try:

http://applecomponents.com/items/07...fill-kit/0000005609?pn=2&cmp=0215&per_page=30 @ $14 ex freight (strips only).

or eBay.

2) Always use an anti-static strap when handling the logic board or other sensitive components (I use anti-static gloves and a wrist strap just to be sure) and place them on or in anti-static bags (this will save you outlaying $1000's for new components if they are zapped).

3) If replacing the HDD with another generic one and the fan spins up to a higher speed, then this can be controlled with a program called:

iStat Menus from:

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ @$16 USD for a single license

or HDD Fan Control from:

http://www.hddfancontrol.com @ $35 USD

The new imacs have only one fan and the drive does not have the sensor for fan control now. If installing SSD drives then there is no need for any fan control as they do not cause this problem due to the low power use.

4) When mounting the new SSD to your imac use an adapter from:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTADRV/ priced @ $14.79 USD ex freight.

This will keep the SSD in the original position of the HDD

or use:

Maxupgrades dual SSD kit:

https://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/ @ $79.95 ex freight

5) If you are going to replace or install a Blade SSD make sure you get the right one for your machine and try to use original Samsung ones as they seem to work the best. Those of you who are asking about the speed difference when using a blade SSD and the Samsung 840 pro it is minimal compared to a HDD in fusion setup, so don't worry about it just do it to your budget.

If you have an imac that only has an SSD from new then you will need the SATA cable, power cable & drive bracket and screws to run the extra drive, once you have them you can install another SSD of any size. These can be purchased from Applecomponents.com:

http://applecomponents.com/computers/imac-27-inch-late-2012/

6) CPU upgrades entail the removal of the logic board and all other components, please take your time and use great care when doing this, the guides from iFixit are very good for this. always do your research prior to purchasing any upgrades as installing wrong components may damage other hardware.

7) If wanting to set up a raid 0 configuration, please use this guide:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

It is done using the terminal, so follow directions to the letter.

8) Ram upgrades in the 2012 imac is one of the simplest upgrades to do and does not involve removing the LCD. Please be aware that you can only use 1600Mhz modules in the imac. These can be sourced from:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2012_27/DDR3L and come in single or dual kits range from $101 ex freight for the 8gb kit (2 x 4gb chips) to $399 ex freight for the 32gb kit (4 x 8gb chips).

or try:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/PC3-10600-4-GB-RAM-Chip/IF111-040 for $49.95 ex freight for the 4gb chipset

If you follow these simple rules and guides and use the right hardware and tools you will have a pleasant experience upgrading you imac.

*Note*

1) You can not have more than 1 x 2.5" SSD's installed and unless you use the Maxupgrade dual kit to do this.

2) When cleaning the old adhesive from the LCD and Frame and there is residue, use isopropyl alcohol to remove it.

3) Remember the imac 2012 only use 1600Mhz ram.

4) Have fun and take your time :)

I hope this helps some out there with their upgrades and mods and makes it an easy and rewarding task.

Reactions: Eriamjh1138@DAN

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Wrong. If you create a single (virtual) drive out of two or more physical drives, you will double (or triple) the risk of a failure.
With a proper backup in place (--> Timemachine) it makes no difference at all if the risk is quadrupled or even tenfold! If a drive fails, you replace it, restore your backup and continue working. In worst case the higher risk translates into a potentially (!) higher amount of time you have to invest due to more drives failing over the same period of time.

Which is basically what hfg wrote, so I don't really understand your aggressively negative comment...

To reduce the risk, create redundancy. Create a RAID which will copy all the data on one disk on the fly to another one, that way if one drive fails, replace it, and you are done.
Unfortunately this advice is problematic (to avoid the word "wrong"). A RAID is never a substitution for proper backups!

Rebuilding a RAID after a drive replacement (due to failure) puts enormous strain on the other drives in the RAID, which can lead to another drive failing during the rebuild, usually resulting in complete data loss. Not to mention the huge amount of time a rebuild takes compared to restoring a backup... (except for a simple RAID-1 maybe, which could be considered as a special kind of "backup" strategy - yet not a good one, as the "surviving" disk has had more strain than your typical backup disc).

Which, by the way, is also becoming more and more challenging.... with 6TB of data, do you want to backup all of that onto DVDs or BDs?
I actually had to look up the date of your post. Who in his right mind is still making backups to unsafe mediums like DVD's or BD's? :eek: Welcome to 2014 - nowadays we backup to other harddrives (which can run as RAID, if you wish), so neither capacity nor speed are a significant problem...

Last edited:

posh

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
cable

Hi,
I have an Imac Late 2013 with "stock" 256gb SSD.
I'd like to add an additional hd, so I see the guide on IFIXIT.
I'd Like to know if the data e power cable is inside the imac or I must buy the data e power cable???
thank you

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
I'd Like to know if the data e power cable is inside the imac or I must buy the data e power cable???

The cable is not present. To add a hard drive to an iMac model from this year you will need to purchase the following.

SATA + Power Cable.
External Temperature Sensor OWC.
Left and right hard drive mounting bracket.
Screws for mounting bracket
Hard drive mounting grommets
New stand mechanism, as the one currently in the machine will not support the additional weight added by the hard drive.

Most of this can be purchased from unofficial Apple parts suppliers.

You should also be aware that you can put only in the 21.5 inch iMac a 2.5 hard drive or SSD the 27 inch models support 3.5 hard drives 2.5 hard drives or SSDs Will require a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter.

posh

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
The cable is not present. To add a hard drive to an iMac model from this year you will need to purchase the following.

SATA + Power Cable.
External Temperature Sensor OWC.
Left and right hard drive mounting bracket.
Screws for mounting bracket
Hard drive mounting grommets
New stand mechanism, as the one currently in the machine will not support the additional weight added by the hard drive.

Most of this can be purchased from unofficial Apple parts suppliers.

You should also be aware that you can put only in the 21.5 inch iMac a 2.5 hard drive or SSD the 27 inch models support 3.5 hard drives 2.5 hard drives or SSDs Will require a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter.

thanks

firefink

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
@afgan

Excellent breakdown. Thank you very much.
I was wondering if you could give me a quick explanation on a few things.

I have a 27 inch iMac late 2013. Here are the specs.

1TB ATA SATA HDD
i7 3.5 GH
32GB RAM
GTX 780M 4096 Graphics Card

I was wondering if I can install a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD and a 1TB blade SSD. So I can have 2TB SSD.

If possible what would I need? I am still a little unclear if this is possible.

Thank you so much.

posh

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
sata blade ssd module

hi,

it's possible to install sata blade ssd module in an imac 2012 21,5?
thank you

Afgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
Mount Molloy Australia
@Afgan

Excellent breakdown. Thank you very much.
I was wondering if you could give me a quick explanation on a few things.

I have a 27 inch iMac late 2013. Here are the specs.

1TB ATA SATA HDD
i7 3.5 GH
32GB RAM
GTX 780M 4096 Graphics Card

I was wondering if I can install a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD and a 1TB blade SSD. So I can have 2TB SSD.

If possible what would I need? I am still a little unclear if this is possible.

Thank you so much.

:):apple: Hi firefink,

Sorry for the late reply but:

YES, Yes you can do this but you need to set it up as a fusion drive to have it work.

Here is a great link to read on how to set up your 2 drives as a fusion setup:

Just follow it to the letter and all should give you high speed 2TB fusion drive.

PS. I have installed this only recently: 1 x 1TB Samsung Pro SSD + 1 x 1TB Samsung Blade (Blade sourced from):

https://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=436&ParentCat=367

Good luck and happy ripping..... :apple:;):cool:

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
:):apple: Hi firefink,

Sorry for the late reply but:

YES, Yes you can do this but you need to set it up as a fusion drive to have it work.

Here is a great link to read on how to set up your 2 drives as a fusion setup:

Just follow it to the letter and all should give you high speed 2TB fusion drive.

PS. I have installed this only recently: 1 x 1TB Samsung Pro SSD + 1 x 1TB Samsung Blade (Blade sourced from):

https://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=436&ParentCat=367

Good luck and happy ripping..... :apple:;):cool:

Isn't the blade in the 2013 model iMac different than the 2012?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.