Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinks...

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
this 3rd blunder in a month..
first the live streaming issue, second the launch day apple site issue and now this..
Wonder where apple is heading? :rolleyes:

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Yes, if it was a security bug, I prefer Apple to deactivate it for now as opposed to major customer confidence lost. Apple can't afford another fiasco, not with Techno Health and Techno Finance they are going to. Let Apple ironed the kinks, and besides there won't be any major health apps out there (The one I still love using is Argus) and Watch is not due till next year.

----------

Nowhere, 3 out of 3 are the norm. :p It's business as usual for Apple.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
IOS Broken ... still

What a major screw up. Somebody's getting fired.

I'm sure it's a security bug, with the recent The Fappening fiasco, Apple can't afford to have another security goof.

If only.

IOS 7 has a bug and its been there ever since IOS7 was released, it forgets the password for authenticated proxies, meaning you have to manually enter it in dozens of times a day, or simply assume wifi is broken, turn it off and do everything over 3G/4G data.

Apple finally acknowledged this bug in IS 7.1.1 with a promise that it would be "fixed in the next release of IOS". Well IOS 7.1.2 rolled in a few months later and....no fix, nada.

Wankers, we thought, the "next update" probably means IOS 8, well IOS 8 is installed and guess what, no fix, nada. I am going to presume they have no intention of ever fixing IOS 7 , effectively abandoning older phone with a broken OS.

All that pfaffing around with the icon colours and they leave actual functionality broken.

All the icons could like monkey rectums as far as I am concerned so long as everything actually worked. Looking pretty and broken is NOT the correct choice to make here.

IOS at work is no more functional than Android 2.2 which did not support proxies at all. but at least everything after than worked properly on the wifi at work.

Wifi access is becoming MORE not less important to me and I am seriously considering using Consumer protection laws where I live to get my money back as the iPhone 5S is demonstrably "faulty".

----------

this 3rd blunder in a month..
first the live streaming issue, second the launch day apple site issue and now this..

Perhaps moving towards being an art supplies outlet.

So long as things "look pretty", who cares if they work.

happywaiman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
It's a problem of background delivery data in HealthKit, which has been mentioned in Release Note when GM is released.
The problem is: why developer still use it when the API said it is problematic.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
More and more bugs in Apple products, botched launches like Maps and now Healthkit, etc. etc.

Apple is losing its attention to the details that used to make Apple products special and that put Apple in its winning position in the first place. Beyond the Apple faithful core, the mainstream market started buying Apple iPods, iPhones, tablets, iMacs and laptops because those products just worked. Now, they *usually* work, and that's a big difference which will eventually come to haunt Apple over time.

Tim Cook needs to double-down execution and quality control. Maybe a little less time indulging in grand social engineering projects like increasing diversity in the workplace (when no one can actually point to any discrimination going on) will free up some spare cycles for Tim...

"You're holding it wrong."

Early life problems are nothing new to Apple. The worst one in recent years was on the previous guy's watch (no pun intended).

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
lol the feature is called quick reply i didn't just make it up but;

yeah,
did you install the public release? or GM? My GF and Pops both installed the public release OTA and their reply by swiping left on the lock screen is not working. It is only showing "x" but when their phone is unlocked they can swipe down on the banner and use quick reply that way.

Quick reply on the lock screen and notification centre only works if you have the 'Show Previews' option under notifications>messages turned on.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
All the apps should be broken out in to the App Store so they can be updated separately. This could be fixed tomorrow if it wasn't for the need to do a full OS point release.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
More and more bugs in Apple products, botched launches like Maps and now Healthkit, etc. etc.

Apple is losing its attention to the details that used to make Apple products special and that put Apple in its winning position in the first place. Beyond the Apple faithful core, the mainstream market started buying Apple iPods, iPhones, tablets, iMacs and laptops because those products just worked. Now, they *usually* work, and that's a big difference which will eventually come to haunt Apple over time.

Tim Cook needs to double-down execution and quality control. Maybe a little less time indulging in grand social engineering projects like increasing diversity in the workplace (when no one can actually point to any discrimination going on) will free up some spare cycles for Tim...

Ha, you've not been using Apple products long have you?

It's great how people think Apple used to be flawless. That was and never will be the case. Every year there are issues and every year people like you say "Apple never used to be like this".

My favourite example is the launch of OS X Cheetah just over 10 years ago. It made Windows Vista's launch look successful. It was a complete mess, so bad that 10.1 was released as a free update - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.0

I like Apple products and have been using them for years. They've always had some issues though (just like Google, Microsoft, Samsung products do too). Nothing new.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Lets see.

an app is an app, but i would think Health-Kit would be top priority, not just "another app"

It's supposed to help you health wise. Just mage this going wrong in drastic cases.. or doctors checking stats... and give people wrong dosage..

Apple will have a lawsuit on its hands...

Actually, i'll predict this :)

After all, this is "just another app that can go wrong." isn't it ?

What's the worse that could happen

expectdelay

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2010
After installing iOS 8 its doesn't really appear Healthkit does anything without input from other apps. Is that accurate? I'm a little confused...would've made more sense for Apple to just include run tracking, etc in the app itself.

Health is an aggregation app, it gets health/exercise related info from other applications and displays it together. Fitness is the exercise/tracking app that Apple developed. HealthKit is the API that apps use to send data to the Health app.

The API had the bug, so the Fitness app was pulled and any apps using the new API need to be downgraded until they fix the bug (within the next 1.5 weeks according to apple).

The Health app is still there but won't do anything AFAIK until other apps start using the API to send it data (i.e. Fitness or anything else)

----------

I bet you two donuts that Samsung is hard working as we speak on another anti-Apple-HealthKit commercial :)
While trying to "develop" a HealthKIT for themselves ... :)

Last edited:

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Health is an aggregation app, it gets health/exercise related info from other applications and displays it together. Fitness is the exercise/tracking app that Apple developed. HealthKit is the API that apps use to send data to the Health app.

The API had the bug, so the Fitness app was pulled and any apps using the new API need to be downgraded until they fix the bug (within the next 1.5 weeks according to apple).

The Health app is still there but won't do anything AFAIK until other apps start using the API to send it data (i.e. Fitness or anything else)[COLOR="#80808

Thanks, that makes more sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.