Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Has anyone tried an ATT device only phone purchased at Apple Store with a different SIM to confirm it's unlocked?

I'm in line and have 2 reserved. Hoping to use on Tmobile. I'm confident but confirmation would be nice! Thanks.

idealcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
How did you preorder an ATT phone without upgrading or opening a new line? This is what I would have preferred to do, but I had to choose a new line.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I didn't preorder. I showed up this morning and they are going through the line taking reservations for the daily stock.

----------

I actually hoped for VZ models as they'd be most versatile for resale, but they only had a gold one left when it was my turn to reserve. They were out of all Tmobile but had all ATT so that's what I picked.

idealcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Oh cool, lucky you. I wonder if I can cancel the new line order and switch to "device only" when I pick mine up?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
You could try....post what you find out....I've been curious about that as a preordering strategy. :)

----------

I'm getting 6 pluses. They seem to have plenty of regular 6.

Applefiend87

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
You could try....post what you find out....I've been curious about that as a preordering strategy. :)

----------

I'm getting 6 pluses. They seem to have plenty of regular 6.

I will try to keep you posted.

If i miss on tmobile ill be getting an AT&T. I hear stay away from verizon/sprint

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Any AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon "Device Only" iPhones sold at an Apple retail store are unlocked. Make sure you ask for "Device Only."

----------

If i miss on tmobile ill be getting an AT&T. I hear stay away from verizon/sprint

Verizon is also unlocked for GSM.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008

VZ is fine but avoid sprint.

----------

Any AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon "Device Only" iPhones sold at an Apple retail store are unlocked. Make sure you ask for "Device Only."

----------

Verizon is also unlocked for GSM.

I know it should be (5S was)....just hoping for confirmation from someone who bought this morning.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I'm 3 people from getting in store. I will happily confirm when I get home!

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
OK it's confirmed!!

I'm home and I just put my T-mobile SIM in the phone and as soon as I turned on it got signal and said LTE but didn't say which carrier. I put in my wifi password and it said activating. Then T-mobile appeared as the carrier! Now restoring from my 5S backup!

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
So no issue using other carriers internationally/domestic?

Doesn't appear to be. Seems like same setup as last year. I don't have an active foreign sim to try. Hopefully someone else can verify. But I would say there is a 99% chance of no issues.

----------

Additionally my carrier now says "T-mobile wifi" so no issue with wifi calling working on a ATT phone either!

fable

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Doesn't appear to be. Seems like same setup as last year. I don't have an active foreign sim to try. Hopefully someone else can verify. But I would say there is a 99% chance of no issues.

----------

Additionally my carrier now says "T-mobile wifi" so no issue with wifi calling working on a ATT phone either!

This is great news. I have been trying to get this answered since very early this morning. There is so much miss-information out there around this and all of it is based on rumors. Good to know someone tested.

Any chance we can get some pics so I can tell some doubters I was right? :) I haven't been able to get my hands on an ATT ip6 yet.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
On Verizon, can you be on a call and use data at the sametime? The Verizon 5s failed on this, hope they resolved this with 6/6 plus.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I dont think that is a device specific problem, I think thats a problem with CDMA which is the technology Verizon uses.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. My bad. The Android phones are able to use data on LTE and Voice on 3G (cdma). I was just curious if the new iphone can do it.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Can anyone enlighten me on this... So if you buy a Verizon phone, you can use it on Tmo and ATT too right. So I buy Tmo version, can I use it on Verizon which is CDMA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.