Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Just installed now.
Seems to work/sync pretty good.
Couple issues that are dealbreakers right now:

Cannot specify location for iCloud Drive
Cannot selective Sync.

I have SSD at work here only 128GB. I would like to change location of iCloud drive to use a different hard drive. Default is to put in C:\Users\{username}\iCloud Drive\

I change the default location of Photos though in iCloud settings.

Sixto

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
I was able to make the iCloud Drive my "I" drive. It now looks just like any other drive on windows.

How can I access it from Goodreader or are there any ipad file managers that support iCloud drive.

necropunk

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
London
I was able to make the iCloud Drive my "I" drive. It now looks just like any other drive on windows.

How can I access it from Goodreader or are there any ipad file managers that support iCloud drive.

PDF Expert 5 has an update pending for aproval that will add support to iCloud Drive.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I don't thing iCloud drive will work for me other than for ios specific things that require it. Eg. Using to store game saves or app settings. Organizing files is a mess because apple believes we should organize by application and file type.

I have folders of documents organized by customer / project that I refer to . These could be spreadsheets,word files,text,pdf etc. The way iCloud likes to sort by application type will not work for me. Using combination of Dropbox OneDrive smb shares and Goodreader is better.

Also notice that over can only have one folder deep in pages for example?

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I don't thing iCloud drive will work for me other than for ios specific things that require it. Eg. Using to store game saves or app settings. Organizing files is a mess because apple believes we should organize by application and file type.

I have folders of documents organized by customer / project that I refer to . These could be spreadsheets,word files,text,pdf etc. The way iCloud likes to sort by application type will not work for me. Using combination of Dropbox OneDrive smb shares and Goodreader is better.

Also notice that over can only have one folder deep in pages for example?

So you can't set up your own folder structure in iCloud Drive? For instance, if I wanted a folder called "School" with 2 sub folders called "Class A" and "Class B", I couldn't do that? With each subfolder having different file types like word, pdf, etc, etc?

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
So you can't set up your own folder structure in iCloud Drive? For instance, if I wanted a folder called "School" with 2 sub folders called "Class A" and "Class B", I couldn't do that? With each subfolder having different file types like word, pdf, etc, etc?

Yes of course I can do that. Then I try to open a Pages document on an IOS device that exists in some other folder - I cannot! On the web iCloud drive, I can see the Pages document elsewhere, but it will not open it with the web Pages app unless it is in the real Pages folder, and instead it will download as a zip file. The only way I can is on OSX using the Pages app.

On Yosemite Beta, I can create folders in Pages, but cannot create a 2nd level folders - Finder won't let me. On Windows iCloud drive, I can make subfolders but then Pages on IOS or in iCloud website, it won't see them.

Apple apps and iCloud drive seem dumbed down for users that don't understand where their files are and just open Apps and use recently open files. Now that I think about it, most of my clients conceptualize files in this matter and most don't have a clue where they are actually located on their PC.

Honestly, I use Office (Word, Excel etc.) but thought I would give iWork another look.

I'm hoping that 3rd party apps like Office and other IOS apps will allow more advanced usage and integration with iCloud drive, or are able to utilize their own cloud services better with IOS 8 (eg. OneDrive).

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Yes of course I can do that. Then I try to open a Pages document on an IOS device that exists in some other folder - I cannot! On the web iCloud drive, I can see the Pages document elsewhere, but it will not open it with the web Pages app unless it is in the real Pages folder, and instead it will download as a zip file. The only way I can is on OSX using the Pages app.

On Yosemite Beta, I can create folders in Pages, but cannot create a 2nd level folders - Finder won't let me. On Windows iCloud drive, I can make subfolders but then Pages on IOS or in iCloud website, it won't see them.

Apple apps and iCloud drive seem dumbed down for users that don't understand where their files are and just open Apps and use recently open files. Now that I think about it, most of my clients conceptualize files in this matter and most don't have a clue where they are actually located on their PC.

Honestly, I use Office (Word, Excel etc.) but thought I would give iWork another look.

I'm hoping that 3rd party apps like Office and other IOS apps will allow more advanced usage and integration with iCloud drive, or are able to utilize their own cloud services better with IOS 8 (eg. OneDrive).

So basically the Apple apps only look for apps in that specific app folder on iCloud Drive. That is terrible and kills any plans I have for using the service for all my documents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.