Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Machowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Here's what I'm doing: Trying to migrate apps from a 2008 iMac to a new Mac Mini7 via cat 5 ethernet cable using migration assistant.

Here's what's happening: Nothing.

Here's what HAS happened: On my first try, which I was sure wouldn't work but I was using what I had on hand -I tried to migrate using USB. It looked like it was working, albeit very slow, because a solid colored progress bar showed up even though it said I had 123 hours left to go. Now, using ethernet cable, I get a blue/white 'candy cane' striped progress bar with NO time estimate. Been running for 17 hours now and still nothing but candy stripes and no time remaining estimate. The Mac mini says 'transferring your info' and the iMac says 'your other mac is ready'. On one of the tries, after several hours, I thought maybe the 'your other mac is ready' could mean that data had transferred. When I stopped the migration, Mac mini gave me a couple of messages saying a few apps weren't compatible with the new MM but nothing at all had transferred.

Any help appreciated and keep in mind, I'm not technically savvy at all (layman's terms or childlike analogies appreciated). I'm all about the graphics apps but a rufus when it comes to the inner workings. Thanks in advance for help.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I have no advice, but I've been exactly were you are. I had a 2009 iMac and tried to use Migration Assistant to set up a new 2012 cMBP I bought.

After failing to do anything wothwhile, I pulled the plug after a day and a half and used a portable hard drive to shuttle my stuff from one to the other. Fail.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'll second the post above.

Pull the ethernet cable.

Shut both Macs down.

Reboot the iMac into firewire target disk mode.

Connect a firewire cable between the iMac and the Mini.

Start the Mini, and try Migration Assistant again.

If this doesn't work...

I suggest you use Migration Assistant for ONLY your accounts, apps, and data -- and do the installation of apps "by hand" instead...

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Agreed

I'll second the post above.

Pull the ethernet cable.

Shut both Macs down.

Reboot the iMac into firewire target disk mode.

Connect a firewire cable between the iMac and the Mini.

Start the Mini, and try Migration Assistant again.

If this doesn't work...

I suggest you use Migration Assistant for ONLY your accounts, apps, and data -- and do the installation of apps "by hand" instead...

Ethernet has never worked for me; I end up using firewire in target mode.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I used the TimeMachine backup I had from the 2008 iMac to restore to my 2012 i7 Mini.
Worked perfectly. I didn't want to migrate everything and it only migrated what I wanted.

I assume, you have backups?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.