Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erak

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
@alexflowmusic
Mavericks handle graphics a little differently, so it's not possible to just replace kexts like in ML. And even though hackerwayne wrote here that X1600 was fixed for Mavericks, none has been released AFAIK.

SFOTT is less a "method" and more just an automated way to create a bootable install disk, by replacing boot.efi and bypassing the HW checks. So it shouldn't really be compared to MLPF. The "method" that makes the computer run is Tiamo's boot.efi and replaced kexts (graphics+audio).

Last edited:

alexflowmusic

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
@alexflowmusic
Mavericks handle graphics a little differently, so it's not possible to just replace kexts like in ML. And even though hackerwayne wrote here that X1600 was fixed for Mavericks, none has been released AFAIK.

SFOTT is less a "method" and more just an automated way to create a bootable install disk, by replacing boot.efi and bypassing the HW checks. So it shouldn't really be compared to MLPF. The "method" that makes the computer run is Tiamo's boot.efi and replaced kexts (graphics+audio).

Yep I tried a Lil bit With both metods to see if I was able to reach something, ML is enough for me in that Macbook pro so Im staying¡¡ thanks again 4 all the info you post here¡¡

LPjosch

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
To anyone else getting the iMessage and facetime contact customer service with this customer code message when trying to log in to IMessage or Facetime just call apple. They said it's a security measure on apples end. Didn't have to do anything other then tell them the number and boom problem solved

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
To anyone else getting the iMessage and facetime contact customer service with this customer code message when trying to log in to IMessage or Facetime just call apple. They said it's a security measure on apples end. Didn't have to do anything other then tell them the number and boom problem solved

Yes! This also worked for me, and unlocked everything, including all the iCloud stuff that wouldn't work before (synced iCloud Safari pages, history, passwords, etc).

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Anyone else having trouble with
Security update 2014-004 1.0 ?

My 2007 mini (Intel GMA 950) has been running 10.8.5 happily to this point, but goes into an endless circling icon wait state when I reboot after initiating the security update.
-Fortunately I make backups before trying updates like this on kludged Systems.

Apple's Bash patch (discussed here) is being cranky too, missing Java something-or-other, but that at least I should be able to do manually.

Apparently the sec. update, and the Bash patch both accomplish the same fix. has anyone gotten either to work on one of these unsupported Macs?

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
This security update does indeed break MLPF due to replacement of IOHIDFamily kext v1.7.1 in /S/L/E by v1.8.1. Reinstate the former, rebuild your kext cache and you'll be back in business.

The older kext v1.7.1 is available here.

Last edited:

SinceApple2C

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
Use Pacifist to install Security Update 2014-004 less IOHIDFamily kext?

This security update does indeed break MLPF due to replacement of IOHIDFamily kext v1.7.1 in /S/L/E by v1.8.1. Reinstate the former, rebuild your kext cache and you'll be back in business.

Or perhaps one could use Pacifist to install the Security Update 2014-004, less the new, offending IOHIDFamiy kext v1.8.1? Would that work?

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
It's a free world, you do whatever you want to put the old kext back in place. I thought giving a link to the old kext to copy it back to /S/L/E was the simplest method but, yes, there are many other solutions: those who like it complicated may re-run MLPF over the ML setup for instance, others may make a full backup of /S/L/E before applying the update then copy it back, others may use the best fix of all: not install the security update!

EasyMac15

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Hey everyone,

I tried reading through as many pages as I could and couldnt find anything that helped me out.

I am on a 2006 MacPro running OS X 10.6.8, I want to instal OS 10.7.
I downloaded MLPostFactor 0.2.2 (version 0.3 requires OS X 10.7)
I placed OS X 10.7 in the applications folder.

Every time I run MLPostFactor, it keeps giving me an error stating that Mac OS X 10.7 is not placed in my applications folder when it actually is.

Anyone find a solution to this?

Thank you in advance.

pulker

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Italy
Hey everyone,

I tried reading through as many pages as I could and couldnt find anything that helped me out.

I am on a 2006 MacPro running OS X 10.6.8, I want to instal OS 10.7.
I downloaded MLPostFactor 0.2.2 (version 0.3 requires OS X 10.7)
I placed OS X 10.7 in the applications folder.

Every time I run MLPostFactor, it keeps giving me an error stating that Mac OS X 10.7 is not placed in my applications folder when it actually is.

Anyone find a solution to this?

Thank you in advance.

It needs 10.7.5 to work. Just update your MacPro to 10.7.5, then try again. Then it should work without problems.

iUrban

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
i need some help on this, i have a mac mini 2006 with c2d 2.3ghz 4gb ram and ssd, i flash the firmware and now i have macmini2,1 but i have the 10.6 mac os version, what is the step i need to do? because mlpostfactor only run in 10.7 and i can't install in my mac mini and i have only this mac.

EasyMac15

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
It needs 10.7.5 to work. Just update your MacPro to 10.7.5, then try again. Then it should work without problems.

Thank you for the reply. That is the issue though.

To run MLPostFactor 0.3, I need Mac OS 10.7.

Apple has already blocked my computer, and does not allow me to upgrade from Mac OS 10.6.8 to 10.7.

MLPostFactor 0.3 requires Mac OS 10.7.

Thus, I have downloaded MLPostFactor 0.2.2. This version works on my current OS, Mac OS 10.6.8. But when I run MLPostFactor 0.2.2, it gives me the error stating that it can not find "Install OS X Mountain Lion" (Mac OS 10.7) and that I need to place it in the applications folder. I do have the actual installer and it is placed in the applications folder, but I can not get it to work, and have MLPostFactor 0.2.2 locate it properly.

i need some help on this, i have a mac mini 2006 with c2d 2.3ghz 4gb ram and ssd, i flash the firmware and now i have macmini2,1 but i have the 10.6 mac os version, what is the step i need to do? because mlpostfactor only run in 10.7 and i can't install in my mac mini and i have only this mac.

If you do a search for MLPostFactor 0.2.2, you will find a download link. This version will run on your Mac OS 10.6, but I am not sure if you will have the same issues that I am facing.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010

Buy 10.7.5 Lion from Apple.

To download it from the App-Store on a unsupported Mac try the DL-Enabler from this Post.

Or try to download the purchased 10.7.5 on a other Mac, e.g. at a Apple dealer (see also point 3 here).

Or install Mavericks (see this Post) in a Virtual Machine and try to download 10.7.5 therein.

Last edited:

iUrban

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
Thank you for the reply. That is the issue though.

Apple has already blocked my computer, and does not allow me to upgrade from Mac OS 10.6.8 to 10.7.

MLPostFactor 0.3 requires Mac OS 10.7.

Thus, I have downloaded MLPostFactor 0.2.2. This version works on my current OS, Mac OS 10.6.8. But when I run MLPostFactor 0.2.2, it gives me the error stating that it can not find "Install OS X Mountain Lion" (Mac OS 10.7) and that I need to place it in the applications folder. I do have the actual installer and it is placed in the applications folder, but I can not get it to work, and have MLPostFactor 0.2.2 locate it properly.

If you do a search for MLPostFactor 0.2.2, you will find a download link. This version will run on your Mac OS 10.6, but I am not sure if you will have the same issues that I am facing.

I try the 0.2.2 but i have the same issue that you facing, but seeing a youtube video the guy say that this only work with the mac os file download from app store

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Guys, you don't understand: v0.2.2 or v0.3, MLPF needs to be run from Lion 10.7.5 and needs ML full legit installer app in "Applications" folder.

Where did you see that v0.2.2 could be run from 10.6. and with 10.7 app in "Applications" ??? Certainly not on post #1 of this thread.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Any tips for getting auto updates to work once you've got 10.8 on the machine?

I can get the OS on there, but can't install any apps or updates. Just errors every time.

EasyMac15

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Buy 10.7.5 Lion from Apple.

To download it from the App-Store on a unsupported Mac try the DL-Enabler from this Post.

Or try to download the purchased 10.7.5 on a other Mac, e.g. at a Apple dealer (see also point 3 here).

Or install Mavericks (see this Post) in a Virtual Machine and try to download 10.7.5 therein.

Hey that is cool, thanks for informing me about that. I kept copying it from another machine, but that worked.

Guys, you don't understand: v0.2.2 or v0.3, MLPF needs to be run from Lion 10.7.5 and needs ML full legit installer app in "Applications" folder.

Where did you see that v0.2.2 could be run from 10.6. and with 10.7 app in "Applications" ??? Certainly not on post #1 of this thread.

Thanks for the reply.
I did not see that in any post. I have a 2006 Intel MacPro running Mac OS 10.6.
When I downloaded MLPF 0.3, it had a circle with a cross over the icon (stating that it won't run on my OS, and that I need 10.7 as you suggested). So I went on a hunt to see if i could find an older version that might work on Mac OS 10.6. I found 0.2.2, and it runs, but it gives me the error "Instal Mac OS X must be placed in your applications folder"

I understand that it needs to be run on Lion 10.7, but apple does not allow me to update to Lion, the most up to date version I can update to is Mac OS 10.6.8 (which is what I have installed right now on the MacPro).

What I need is something (MLPF) to upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.7, then either stay at 10.7, or upgrade then to Mavericks.

Thank you,
Gor

yy1

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
Can't get sound to work on MacBook Pro 2,2 with 10.8.5

Well, I read all 160 pages of this thread, and got my MacBook 4,1 on 10.8.4 (no smb working) and my MacBook Pro 2,2 on 10.8.5 (no sound).

I tried the files from post Post 3741 that were specifically for MacBook Pro 2,2. The graphics work great, the sound does not work.

I tried copying the AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily kexts from MY Lion 10.7.5, that does not work.

My goal is to get one of these machines to a usable 10.8.5, I have a long trip coming up and one of these will be my primary machine for a few months, I see significant speed and usability improvements with the partially successful installs I've got, but no sound is a deal breaker, the 10.8.4 MacBook 4,1 maybe what I'll settle with, but have been unable to go to 10.8.5 successfully and not sure i'm comfortable using a machine out on public networks and stuff that isn't fairly up to date. The smb problem would be nice to solve as well.

The MacBook Pro 2,2 sound problem is what I'm really hoping to solve, love my lighted keyboard, everything else works great on it. (even SMB!)

Thanks for any help! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, giving old Macs new life. I really love my Mac Laptops and would like to be able to use them a little longer, I was really hoping to go to Mavericks, but that RV-ABZ guy crushed that dream (with logic).

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Really sorry to be the dream crusher and/or the bad guy! But noone has to believe me of course... Someone said back in July that the Mavericks solution could be out within a couple of weeks: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19352877/

The solution must have tripped on the carpet or got lost on its way to the forum. So, you can hang in here waiting if you want. :D

Re: audio issue, did you only copy the audio kext files or did you do something else like trying to manually load them and/or rebuilding the cache?

Last edited:

aclegg2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
I got a copy of 10.8.0 on my late 2006 iMac. How do I go about updating it to 10.8.5? Can I just jump from 10.8.0 to 10.8.5? Or should I just look for 10.8.5 app installer on an torrent and install it that way with mlpostfactor 3.0? I read the forums, but I'm not understanding exactly how to update my os. Thanks guys.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
It's clearly stated somewhere in the 158 previous pages (I know, it's ridiculous!) that you can run the combo update but you'll need to re-run MLPF for 10.8.4 right after (because the Combo will obviously replace kernel + /S/L/E kexts by 10.8.5 64bits versions). Do not reboot into 10.8.5 until you've re-run MLPF on the ML partition. Then update the OS X version plist file to cosmetically reflect 10.8.5.

It does work that way.

Last edited:

clik

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
... run the combo update but you'll need to re-run MLPF for 10.8.4 right after (because the Combo will obviously replace kernel + /S/L/E kexts by 10,8,5 64bits versions). Do not reboot into 10.8.5 until you've re-run MLPF on the ML partition. Then update the OS X version plist file to cosmetically reflect 10.8.5.
+1
This worked on my 2008 MacBook4.1.
Don't be surprised if you get an "Installation failed..." type message when you install the Combo.
Just shut down machine anyway, and as RV-ABZ says, patch ML with MLPF's 10.8.4 option, "update the OS X version plist file" etc.

aclegg2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
It's clearly stated somewhere in the 158 previous pages (I know, it's ridiculous!) that you can run the combo update but you'll need to re-run MLPF for 10.8.4 right after (because the Combo will obviously replace kernel + /S/L/E kexts by 10,8,5 64bits versions). Do not reboot into 10.8.5 until you've re-run MLPF on the ML partition. Then update the OS X version plist file to cosmetically reflect 10.8.5.

It does work that way.
I figured I needed to rerun mlpf. Just wasn't sure if I could jump from 10.8.0 to 10.8.5 or if I had to do incremental upgrades. And I saw the posts about when installing 10.8.5 you rerun mlpf as 10.8.4. Do I install the update from downloading from apple.com and installing the .DMG or do I need to download the update through the apple store? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I promise I looked through the thread. I probably missed it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.