Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
I'm getting the iPhone 6 Plus, I always get an Otterbox but I think it will just be too much bulk on top of an already large phone!

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
This is the first time Otterbox has had an iPhone case ready to ship before it was released. It would have been nice if they had the iPhone 6 Plus cases ready, and not just the iPhone 6 cases.

juniorsamples

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Please excuse my ignorance, but when I checked the Otterbox site a couple of minutes ago, it said the new "6" cases are "Coming Soon."

I'm interested in the Defender, since I WILL drop my phone.

Did I overlook something, or reading something wrong?

Thanks!

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Please excuse my ignorance, but when I checked the Otterbox site a couple of minutes ago, it said the new "6" cases are "Coming Soon."

I'm interested in the Defender, since I WILL drop my phone.

Did I overlook something, or reading something wrong?

Thanks!

I don't know where you're looking. The defender for the iPhone 6 is available right now. You can add to your cart and check out. It's just that not every color is available.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I don't know where you're looking. The defender for the iPhone 6 is available right now. You can add to your cart and check out. It's just that not every color is available.

Which is annoying because all the good colors are not available. :-/

I'm ready for Lifeproof to put their cases up.

Raphael96

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I just spoke with Otterbox customer service and was told the cases won't be delivered much before the 23rd.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I just spoke with Otterbox customer service and was told the cases won't be delivered much before the 23rd.

Meaning if you took the free shipping method?

I did mine with the 2 day for the extra $5.

They deliver Fed Ex smart post for the free method. That involves the case going on the slowest Fed Ex truck to your area. Then going to USPS for more trucking. Then being delivered after that.

It has been slower than first class mail for me.

3squirrels

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I did not know that. I must have missed that memo.

I put it on your desk with your monthly TPS report. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

3squirrels

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I pre-ordered this case on Amazon, which appears to be the closest to the Otterbox defender, where the top front and bottom front of the device is also covered:
http://amzn.com/B00MOOF41U

71tfBOJgOfL._SL1500_.jpg

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
This is the first time Otterbox has had an iPhone case ready to ship before it was released. It would have been nice if they had the iPhone 6 Plus cases ready, and not just the iPhone 6 cases.

I got a defender for the iPhone 5 two days before the release date. It was a hair off on dimensions and a little loose, so they gambled and upped their tolerances. A month later, they were shipping an "updated" one. I'm sure you could do a search on here and find out more about what I'm talking about.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Don't do it. If these are anything like the older defenders, they will wreck your phone. Hard plastic against the glass/aluminum = bad. Dust or dirt particles get in between and scratches it all up.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I pre-ordered this case on Amazon, which appears to be the closest to the Otterbox defender, where the top front and bottom front of the device is also covered:
http://amzn.com/B00MOOF41U

I'm really blown away. That case is friggin beautiful! I would go for Defender but I think it may be too chunky and boxy for the 6 plus. My lady has the htc one m8 and the Defender looks beautifully thin but I'm going to check out the case you just posted. It looks so sleek and smooth.

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Lifeproof

Historically, anyone happen know have a ball park on how long it takes for Lifeproof to get cases to customers?
When I got my 5, I went without a case for one week and, after some drops picked up an Otterbox. (which I like, its just bulkier than some of the lifeproof models)

Otterbox Defender is ready for sale Iphone 6

Along with my iPhone 6, I picked up one of these today at the Verizon store (they offered it, a screen protector and a charger for $70). It's a bit bulky, but that's fine by me.

In concept I like it, but in execution not so much. Biggest issues:

The hard plastic shell covers the top and bottom bezels so completely that it makes swiping the notification center and the control center hit and miss.

There's a lot of space between the rubber volume & power buttons and the actual device, so I have to press pretty hard.

The clear screen is a nice touch but, like the buttons, I'm finding that I have to press pretty hard since it feels loose fitting (there's space between the screen and the device).

I like that the case covers the lightning bolt and headphone jacks, but: for the headphone jack, there's a small hole (probably to make it easier to flip up) but it doesn't line up with the jack itself so when the earbuds are in, the rubber case puts pressure on the connector; the lightning bolt hole is so snug that only my OEM lightning bolt cable fits it (an inconvenience but not a deal-killer).

I'm going to try it for another couple days but expect I'll return it within the 14 day grace period. In the meantime I'm looking at alternatives.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Along with my iPhone 6, I picked up one of these today at the Verizon store (they offered it, a screen protector and a charger for $70). It's a bit bulky, but that's fine by me.

The hard plastic shell covers the top and bottom bezels so completely that it makes swiping the notification center and the control center hit and miss.

There's a lot of space between the rubber volume & power buttons and the actual device, so I have to press pretty hard.

The clear screen is a nice touch but, like the buttons, I'm finding that I have to press pretty hard since it feels loose fitting (there's space between the screen and the device).

I like that the case covers the lightning bolt and headphone jacks, but: for the headphone jack, there's a small hole (probably to make it easier to flip up) but it doesn't line up with the jack itself so when the earbuds are in, the rubber case puts pressure on the connector; the lightning bolt hole is so snug that only my OEM lightning bolt cable fits it (an inconvenience but not a deal-killer).

I'm going to try it for another couple days but expect I'll return it within the 14 day grace period. In the meantime I'm looking at alternatives.

Can you post some pics? I'd like to see how wide it is. Thanks

Otterbox Defender is ready for sale Iphone 6

Can you post some pics? I'd like to see how wide it is. Thanks

I would but I'm out of town with just the camera on my phone so the pictures probably wouldn't help.

This video is of the 5, but it gives a good representation of how, uh, "sturdy" the case is. The new case is consistent with it aside from the obvious configuration changes to match the new device.

http://youtu.be/8co218goIpU

Hope this helps... some.

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
It is not ready for the Iphone6

I agree with everyone of these points. I could of not said it better. Otterbox dropped the ball on this one.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.