Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I've had Parallels 8 installed on my Macbook Pro for 2 years now, with windows 8.1. I rarely need to use windows EXCEPT that at least once a year for about a month I do a major project involving Microsoft Access and there's no Mac alternative. Most of the reviews I've been able to find look at how well windows performs under Parallels or its competitors or boot camp.

I'm concerned about the impact of Parallels on OSX. When I don't have a windows program open is Parallels still using a lot of resources? Is it slowing down the OSX side of things?

I'm asking because I need to decide if I should update to Parallels 10 or switch to Boot Camp. I could spend the $50 on Parallels 10 and continue to use Word and Excel when I need those programs, or switch to bootcamp and buy a word processor and a spreadsheet.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I've had Parallels 8 installed on my Macbook Pro for 2 years now, with windows 8.1. I rarely need to use windows EXCEPT that at least once a year for about a month I do a major project involving Microsoft Access and there's no Mac alternative. Most of the reviews I've been able to find look at how well windows performs under Parallels or its competitors or boot camp.

I'm concerned about the impact of Parallels on OSX. When I don't have a windows program open is Parallels still using a lot of resources? Is it slowing down the OSX side of things?

I'm asking because I need to decide if I should update to Parallels 10 or switch to Boot Camp. I could spend the $50 on Parallels 10 and continue to use Word and Excel when I need those programs, or switch to bootcamp and buy a word processor and a spreadsheet.

If you don't start Parallels or launch a VM the only resource used is disk space. It has absolutely zero impact on performance. If disk space becomes a problem you can move the Windows VM image to an external drive and move it back when needed. If you go the bootcamp route it means dedicating a certain amount of space just for Windows.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Remember that Parallels will make you pay another 50$ next year for whatever OS X version comes next.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
There have been other discussions which show that historically you only need to upgrade every other year. That's what happened to me this time - p8 has worked for 2 years.

My big issue is that Microsoft office for windows takes a long time to load, but so do the free Mac office suites. I don't mind for a big job, but sometimes I just need to write a letter or build a simple spreadsheet and I want a responsive program. My iPad has spoiled me - I want immediate responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.