Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Most instances yes, but can you really use it one handed if you get a drop down notification? There really isn't a way to reach it in my opinion, especially before it disappears. :p

Yeah I could reach it with the thumb I'm typing this on right now without moving my entire hand up the phone. Quite nice, I love the keys. Just the right size for someone with big hands like me.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Yeah I could reach it with the thumb I'm typing this on right now without moving my entire hand up the phone. Quite nice, I love the keys. Just the right size for someone with big hands like me.

Well screw you then! Haha just messing. :p

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
OP just give it 10 days. I have had the Note 3 and LG G3. Note 3 was a big phone, but I got used to it in no time. Felt some of the same things you express in this thread at first with those phones too. It will never be as easy to hold as a smaller phone, but in 10 days you'll know if the battery life, OIS camera, and larger / higher PPI screen is worth the trade off.

Both phones are good so it isn't a bad decision either way. It is simply a matter of where do you want your trade offs.

----------

I'd also add that part of the bigger phone move for me was combining it with my wallet. I am waiting on some of the thin cases for the 6+ with 3 card slots to get released. I loved this decision - not only does my wallet ring when I lose it but I also have just one larger item to carry around vs two smaller.

You could do the exact same thing with the iPhone 6 too. It doesn't matter to me which one you pick to be terribly honest. Just pointing out a different way to consider a larger phone.

I thought about this today since the 6 plus will take up much more pocket room. Is it annoying having to flip open the case to use the phone?

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
OP, I'd play with the 6+ for a few more days before exchanging it. I haven't picked up my 6+ yet, but like others said, you'll probably get used to it. When I went from the 4S to the 5, it was awkward to me at first because it was taller and thus, harder to reach the top corners. But I got used to it eventually, and it was no longer an issue for me. There's always a learning curve when there's something new. I pre-ordered the 6 at first, but changed it to the 6+ because I didn't feel like it's much of an upgrade from my current 5s. The 6 was only 38% more pixels than the 5s, but the 6+ is 185% more pixels. You just can't resist that giant screen. And LogMeIn will be so much more pleasant to use on the 6+.

Will find out how giant the 6+ is when I pick up mine up tomorrow. Have you considered switching your 6+ with your wife's 6? Maybe you guys can change it up from time to time to keep it exciting? Just a thought. Good luck with your decision.

supernet33

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
I thought it was too big as well, however i got the apple case and it makes a world of difference.

chasgooses

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
NOOOOOO you had to use two hands....the horror!!!!!!!

Not being able to use my phone one-handed was a BIG dealbreaker for me and why I went with the regular 6 instead of the 6+. A lot of my phone usage is while standing on the subway when I have to hold on to something else.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
This is going to sound super pansy but using the 6+ one handed is making my forearm cramp up. :D I don't know if it's the way I'm holding it or what but it really isn't comfortable

I think therein lies the problem. I don't think you can expect to keep holding it and handling it like you would a small phone. Adjust to the way you use it for a phone it's size and you'll be fine. Trying to stubbornly hold it the way you've always held your small phones will of course end up causing your forearms to cramp as you put it :p

This is one time I'll agree with Job's saying...'You're holding it wrong' :D

Oh and I'm loving the battery in the plus by the way. No longer to have to be conscious about my usage. It's a beast! Just keeps going and going...

hypno

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
I thought about this today since the 6 plus will take up much more pocket room. Is it annoying having to flip open the case to use the phone?

There are a lot of cases where the cards go in the back of the case, which is what I prefer. My latest front runner case I think might be the Hex Solo if you want an idea.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I think therein lies the problem. I don't think you can expect to keep holding it and handling it like you would a small phone. Adjust to the way you use it for a phone it's size and you'll be fine. Trying to stubbornly hold it the way you've always held your small phones will of course end up causing your forearms to cramp as you put it :p

This is one time I'll agree with Job's saying...'You're holding it wrong' :D

Oh and I'm loving the battery in the plus by the way. No longer to have to be conscious about my usage. It's a beast! Just keeps going and going...

Theres only so many ways you can hold it one-handed and honestly I can't give up the one handed use...it's too much part of how I use the phone.
I've been using a 6 for the past couple hours and it feels so right, I've been able to do everything one handed. I think the one thing that really was the last straw today was when I got a new email and you know how you can swipe down now to reply or delete? I LOVE that feature as I get quite a bit of emails through out the day and it sucked always opening the Mail app, so doing it from the notification was just awesome. Well, that lasted for like a day with the 5 because with the 6+ it was no longer possible one-handed, super bummed.

Last edited:

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
You can turn the full alerts on for email and text so it will be a notification in the middle of the screen. That is what I ended up doing. Working great for quick reply too.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
You can turn the full alerts on for email and text so it will be a notification in the middle of the screen. That is what I ended up doing. Working great for quick reply too.

I gave that a shot but it's not as well implemented. For example if you get an email, you get the pop up and then have to tap Options and then you get another list of things you can do vs just swipe done and click Trash.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I mostly use it for texts. I don't use my phone for work (thankfully the federal govt doesnt use iPhones yet).

I too used my wife's 6 and thought it was a pretty perfect size, but the 6plus is growing on me.

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I kind of expect more post like this one in the coming days. I myself got the 6 because I felt the plus might be too big for me. Holding the 6 with my tiny hands without a case(at the moment) makes me worried. I can just imagine what the plus would feel like. While watching videos and surfing Web would be great on it - everyday use I think I will be happy with my "small" 6.

Screen is great on the 6 - want to eventually check out the plus but really loving the clarity on this thing

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I think I now have my mind set on a regular black six.

Waited in line 8 hours to get a 128GB Gold Plus, but I really have that doubt in my head and I know if I keep it im going to regret it. Oh well, at least ill make some money

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I always knew I was going to get the 6 since the beginning. I printed out mockups and everything. However, I always kept thinking how awesome it would be to do stuff on a larger screen. Even though I kept thinking about it, I knew I'd still end up with a 6. The reason being is that my hands are small. I can grip an iPhone 6 PERFECTLY. It literally stops right where the top joints of my fingers are. I wouldn't mind using the iPhone 6 Plus solely as a 2-handed phone, but I knew for my current situation with schooling and always on the go, I wouldn't be able to physically handle the iPhone 6 Plus. I'm proud of my decision, and hopefully - I will grow bigger hands in a year for that 6 Plus (highly doubt it, but I'd be pretty awesome)

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Others are starting to feel the same it seems...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t..._i_might_return_apple_s_giant_new_iphone.html

"A device that requires two hands is a device that demands your full attention. It’s not a device you can whip out of your pocket and glance at quickly in between other tasks. It’s not a device you can use to quickly scan your email while carrying a grocery bag or hanging onto a subway pole. "

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Theres only so many ways you can hold it one-handed and honestly I can't give up the one handed use...it's too much part of how I use the phone.
I've been using a 6 for the past couple hours and it feels so right, I've been able to do everything one handed. I think the one thing that really was the last straw today was when I got a new email and you know how you can swipe down now to reply or delete? I LOVE that feature as I get quite a bit of emails through out the day and it sucked always opening the Mail app, so doing it from the notification was just awesome. Well, that lasted for like a day with the 5 because with the 6+ it was no longer possible one-handed, super bummed.

I agree. It's not a device for one-handed use. But I was expecting that when I got it I suppose. And if you can afford to not solely rely on one-handed use, I personally think it's a the perfect device. But for one-handed convenience, I do agree the 6 is a great option.

----------

Others are starting to feel the same it seems...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t..._i_might_return_apple_s_giant_new_iphone.html

"A device that requires two hands is a device that demands your full attention. It’s not a device you can whip out of your pocket and glance at quickly in between other tasks. It’s not a device you can use to quickly scan your email while carrying a grocery bag or hanging onto a subway pole. "

I'm expecting the apple watch to let me do the quick glancing next year. In the mean time I'll just have to use my pebble for a bit longer... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.