Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i guess they now realize that CDMA was a big mistake.

i would still rather take CDMA over GSM any day
i can be in a double wyeth brick building and have full signal whereas my AT&T co-worker will have 2 bars at most. he'll try to make a phone call on 1 bar and call drops repeatedly and he has to move towards a window

i can make a perfectly clear phone call on 1 bar with CDMA

----------

The thing about Verizon's crusty old CDMA network is that it has coverage everywhere, and is insanely reliable. If I can get a single bar of coverage, I can be pretty much positive my call will go through and not drop. AT&T is a total crapshoot in this regard. Having great coverage is a lot more important to me than the very occasional situations in which it's nice to be able to use data while on a call.

Verizon's crusty old CDMA network? are you referring to the fact they use CDMA when you call it "crusty"? south korea must have seen the benefits of going CDMA since their cellular networks make our networks in this country look like a CB radio network

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Never was a mistake.

CDMA allowed them to have a superb dropped call rate as well as excellent spectral density. Great capacity, especially when the 8k vocoders came along with good voice quality.

Did it match GSM/UMTS in all calling features? No, but apparently that wasn't a deciding factor for millions upon millions of subscribers.

They've done extremely well with CDMA, as have many other leading operators around the world.

In fact, CDMA was so impressive, it became the air interface for UMTS, which is something most people aren't aware of.

Since CDMA was optimized for voice, it's a totally open question as to how VoLTE will perform in comparison. LTE is break before make, while CDMA has soft and softer handoff.

I'm optimistic for VoLTE, especially if not moving quickly and undergoing rapid handoffs, but time will tell.

Saying CDMA was a mistake is uninformed.

finally someone who knows what he's talking about. it's refreshing to come across knowledge and common sense in this thread which is filled with spewing hate-text against CDMA when they obviously are clueless about the facts

i would like to add onto your excellent post that South Korea predominantly uses CDMA because they, just like Verizon, realize the network benefits of doing so.

on 1 bar i can stream HD video. on 1 bar i can make a perfectly clear phone call. my coworkers who have AT&T and T-Mobile can't do anything on 1 bar except text. 1 bar should just turn into 0 bars for GSM customers b/c it's a joke - they have to move towards a window just to be able to do anything. with CDMA, doesn't matter if i walk to a window or not since the signal penetrates even through metal warehouse buildings, double wyeth brick builds, stone buildings, heck even underground. i was in a tech conference at a hotel where their conference room was below ground level. no one could get a signal except the people with Verizon. desperate people were asking if we would mind turning our phones into wifi hotspots so they could access the internet. pathetic

shingo1

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
7 years of what?

AT&T has had this since the first iPhone. Let me be the first to welcome Verizon to 2007.

Simultaneous iPhone voice and data has nothing to do with VoLTE. Ever notice your LTE wording changes to 4G when you get an incoming call? Pay attention then you'll know you are not on the LTE network when the phone call comes in. That means your network speed instantly drops from LTE to 4G, which is not LTE. What Verizon is enabling now is a pure VoLTE function. As long as an iPhone 6 or 6 is on the LTE network, the phone can handle both call/voice and data on LTE network.

Read more about your 2007 AT&T network here. AT&T won't be ready to launch VoLTE till sometime in 2015! http://www.lightreading.com/atandts-rinne-carriers-working-on-volte-interoperability/d/d-id/710746.

Skyone22

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Where do you have your data from? Cause that's just plain not true.
VoLTE chips are pretty darn new. That's why it's limited to those new devices. LTE was even new in '07. And when I say new, I mean not even finalised.

Sorry it is true, I have been with ATT since the first 3Gs and I have been able to surf and do anything on my iPhone while on the phone talking to a friend. So sorry it is true!:)

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Propoganda? I don't think so. Verizon was stuck with slower 3G than AT&T, so they did a full court press directly to LTE, which today is paying off in spades. AT&T did half measures with HSPA+, which they (somewhat disingenuously) called 4G to make their map look better, and put off the LTE upgrade which put them behind the curve.

AT&T only has VoLTE in certain markets because they're far behind in LTE towers. In comparison, Verizon went live this week nationally.

Worst of all, last week AT&T's Ralph de la Vega told investors, "We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage." They should be building more towers, not planning on a WiFi Calling rollout. Sorry, but that's all I needed to jump ship for good. I've had AT&T since the 3GS was released, but my unlimited plan with "No Service" doesn't stack up against the coverage my friends get on Verizon.

I am not going to argue but leave it at being WAY more complicated than jumping on the bandwagon of a few propaganda commercials by Verizon.

Here is an example of what I am taking about with respect to AT&T building a better network for 95% of the country while Verizon spreads itself thin with half measured coverage to be able to make commercials with misleading red maps:

https://gigaom.com/2013/07/10/att-i...performance-tests-heres-atts-explanation-why/

Have a safe jump...

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I don't care. TMob. $60 a month, 4G LTE unlimited, FOR REAL, pays my ETFs, plus gives me $300 towards IP6. Voice/Data same time. No contract.

Piss off Verizon.

Yes, TMob service in my area is as good as Verizon.

----------

with CDMA, doesn't matter if i walk to a window or not since the signal penetrates even through metal warehouse buildings, double wyeth brick builds, stone buildings, heck even underground.

This is true. Technically, for those that care, it's long wave length versus short that makes it so.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Can someone explain the difference between this 'Advanced Calling' and Wideband audio / HD Voice that has been around for a few years? The sort that iPhone 5 onwards support, and various carriers (at least in the UK) already support?

Calls between most handsets made in the last 2-3 years on many networks in the UK are pretty clear these days.

Is 'Advanced Calling' just 'even more' HD? Or are they just bringing out a really old feature and excluding it from devices that *can* support it?

jumpmanj2395.

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
I don't care. TMob. $60 a month, 4G LTE unlimited, FOR REAL, pays my ETFs, plus gives me $300 towards IP6. Voice/Data same time. No contract.

Piss off Verizon.

Yes, TMob service in my area is as good as Verizon.

----------

This is true. Technically, for those that care, it's long wave length versus short that makes it so.

Make sure you get your T-Mobile "Full Bar T-mo Experience" Wifi Calling Router! You'll need it.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Some of you guys are sounding really similar to Samsung's latest Advertisment for the next big thing....

Take your time and let that sink into you :)

jumpmanj2395.

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Anyone else not able to add HD Voice on Verizon? It says I need to call in.

Same here.

----------

Wow 0.7 MB download - I guess that is not even 3G speed? My daughter's old iPhone 4S (which is not even LTE capable) on T-mobile can do simultaneous voice and data and she gets 5-8 MB downloads while on a call.

And guess what? You will get so much faster download speed on Tmo's new network! The new Wi-Fi network that is in your home! $0 cost for Tmo! Wi-Fi Unleashed! Just connect to it and you'll get faster speeds!

And you really cant compare a network that has 4 people on the tower at any given time to a network that has more devices connected.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
I don't get how talking and using cellular data at the same time is new? While it wasn't as fast as LTE, here in Australia we've been able to use both data and be on a phone call since the iPhone 3G! What's wrong with your networking America? :p

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
dumb question: if you buy an unlocked iphone6, can it be used on verizon's network? meaning, i'd like to have a phone that supports GSM for when out of the country, but use CDMA here in the US on vzw's network.

I think there are technically only two types of iPhones now (I mean in the internal specs that you are concerned about). And they each support massive numbers of types of LTE lines and various. So I'm sure they will both work (especially on LTE). But one may work a bit better for VZW than the other.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Simultaneous iPhone voice and data has nothing to do with VoLTE. Ever notice your LTE wording changes to 4G when you get an incoming call? Pay attention then you'll know you are not on the LTE network when the phone call comes in. That means your network speed instantly drops from LTE to 4G, which is not LTE. What Verizon is enabling now is a pure VoLTE function. As long as an iPhone 6 or 6 is on the LTE network, the phone can handle both call/voice and data on LTE network.

Read more about your 2007 AT&T network here. AT&T won't be ready to launch VoLTE till sometime in 2015! http://www.lightreading.com/atandts-rinne-carriers-working-on-volte-interoperability/d/d-id/710746.

Not sure I understand your point. The iPhone on Verizon has NEVER been capable of Voice and Data at the same time. That was all I was pointing out.

Secondly, AT&T already has VoLTE in many markets so again, not sure of your point again. In fact, your article points out that AT&T has a network that handles VoLTE calls better than Verizon because it can handover calls between networks where Verizon can not. This is REALLY bad for Verizon reliability....

From your article:
"What she means is that GSM-based carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile US Inc. are able to use a newer feature of LTE called single-radio voice call continuity (eSRVCC) that allows users to move between VoLTE and a 2G/3G connection without dropping the call. Rival Verizon Wireless is instead doing a VoLTE launch across its full 4G footprint, because eSRVCC isn't available for CDMA-based networks."​

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
Verizon UK Ltd is a company responsible for chronic nuisance calls. Another nail in Apple's decomposing cool image.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
A few more points and I'm out...

To say that Verizon should have looked for alternatives for data is to gleefully glide past all of the inherent issues with making such a change. It's also revisionist.

First of all, there's real cost and effort for making a change outside of roadmap, and for most purposes, Verizon was following the Qualcomm roadmap and succeeding with it. It's not an easy thing at all to go in some other direction.

Will the handset manufacturers go along? Will the equipment manufacturers go along? How costly is it? Is it even feasible? I guess if you ignore all that change is easy.

At the time, there was no iPhone. I can tell you first hand data was considered a cool parlor trick by almost all operators. We were all waiting for the hockey stick, it never came until the iPhone arrived. So there was no vision that data needs were going to be something that needed to be handled.

I can also tell you first hand that Verizon thought the iPhone was a total joke for a very long time. This was a mistake on their part, for sure.

I spent many years in the industry, helping develop, deploy, optimize and manage systems across the globe with many operators. I lived these issues, I didn't read them in a blog post or in a magazine.

Verizon didn't suffer with CDMA.

* Adding: yes it's totally possible to have a crap, unoptimized, poorly performing network on any technology. Look at Sprint and Cricket - there's no comparison to Verizon. Also, within an operator, not all markets are equal, and some are designed better and managed better than others. Vendor choice also makes a huge difference.

magicvash

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
Fortunately, you are in fact understanding it wrong. My first VoLTE call was to the time and temperature line for my hometown (the same number I've been using for test calls for 15 years.) Data over LTE worked perfectly during the call.

What you won't get unless both parties support VoLTE is the greatly higher quality "HD" voice codec. Both sides need to be able to encode data using this codec.

Phew thanks for clearing that up. Verizon's webpage certainly leads one to believe that isn't the case. Glad to know that Voice/Data is ubiquitous finally!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
allowing Verizon iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users to use simultaneous voice and data capabilities for the first time when connected to a 4G LTE network.

Congratulations, Verizon users!

Oh, 2003 just called to welcome you to the simultaneous voice and data party.

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
No that big a deal

I love all the AT&T users bragging about how they have had this since day 1. I moved from Sprint to AT&T back in the day to get an iPhone. I also at this point lost the ability in the Bay Area to reliably send and make phone calls. I also could not get reception up in some of the costal areas on northern California I like to hike. When I move to Burlingame from SF I could not even make calls in certain parts of my house.

So after my contract was complete I moved us all over to Verizon. Calling and data speeds are a lot better and I get reception in more places. I have never really hit an issue with calls and data as I am on WI-FI most of the time.

People will talk about the CDMA travelling abroad issue. Like most people who do this I have a cheep pay as you go phone for when I am visiting the UK to see my folks.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I'm curious how many of the people in here saying "welcome to 2008" were annoyed at android fans for saying "welcome to 2010" regarding large screens. It's not helpful. Verizon has it now. Now is all that matters. So what are all of the att people going to do now that they can't point to this one instance of superiority?!

Verizon customers felt other things were more important than simultaneous voice and data. Now they don't have to choose one or the other. Good for them.

Signed,
An ATT customer that is happy for Verizon folks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.