Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'm using the Apple wired keyboard with num pad which I connected to my 27" Cinema Display. When the Mac Pro (mid 2010) was shut down, and I start it, the Mac can't find the keyboard. Instead, it opens a bluetooth window, saying that no keyboard could be found. The wired mouse is connected to the Cinema Display as well and there's no problems.

I have to unplug the keyboard from the Display, then reconnect it, and sometimes I have to do this 3 times for the keyboard to appear. What's wrong here? I sometimes also have to plug it into another port of the display. But it can't be the ports/the display I think, because the mouse has no problems.
So I thought it must be the keyboard. But it can't be the keyboard because when I directly connect it to the Mac, it instantly appears.

Anyone know what this could be?

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Hmmm? Swap Ports? Repair Permissions in disk utility?
Plug both into a powered USB 2 hub?
Plug the mouse into the keyboard?
keep it plugged in the Mac ;)

Have another wired key to try?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I swapped ports, read my post ;) I can't really keep the keyboard plugged into the Mac because it's too far away. But I'm not even sure if it works instantly when plugged into the Mac, it may just have been a coincidence.

I checked the permissions, they seemed to be okay. Hmm…

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Sorry, missed part of your post. Too bad you don't have a second wired key to test. Anything in the 3rd port that draws voltage? i.e. non powered HD.
Reason I'm asking is I'm unfamiliar with that Cinema. Is it 1 USB bus or 2?

Wonder if a powered hub would help if all else fails. The 2.0 4chn jobs are practically free these days (assuming you don't solve it another way or have a shop test it)

Which key BTW? The old white one or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.