Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisneyFreak777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Is it possible that I can save my unlimited data by putting the old SIM from my current iPhone 5 into my iPhone 6+ before I even turn it on and activate it? Could this possibly work like the Best Buy Method?

I bought the 6+ through Apple, and had to pick to go 2 GB a month and kill unlimited, but I was just wondering if anyone knows any workaround that could keep me on? I'm willing to try anything, since I've confirmed with reps that I can just let them know I want the Verizon Max 6 GB/mo for $30 plan up to 60 days after I activate the phone. So if I mess up, no big deal. Any ideas?

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
I posted this in the other thread , but that 6gb is family or single? for 30. if family please tell me more!!

Hi,
It does not matter, verizon has started issuing out emails or texts to people that have unlimited data and go over 2.5 gig, saying they are going to be or are being throttled for 2 months, I did a search and verified this to be true, they want us off the old plan. You may be able to maybe save ULD for a short time but you will get switched one way or the other. verizon is aware of the loopholes and are closing them FAST!!

edit: those emails were only supposed to go to heavy data users BUT I found someone that got one (in one of the forums somewhere) saying they never go over 2 gig and last month they went to 2.6 gig or something and received the email.

edit 2: for me it is not worth the hassle of cutting sims, ect.. my bill is just $10 more with the new plan, it sucks but all other carriers in my area except att (and att is the same or more that verizon soo) suck. I looked up t mobile in my area and people complain about dropped calls, that I can not have, and sprint coverage is very poor.

If you think it may be worth it for 2,3, maybe 8 months go for it, but me NO WAY

PaythePiper

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2013
so my question would be- would you even have to activate the 6 if you put an already in use sim into the phone?

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
I have an HTC one m8 on Verizon. The HTC one uses a nano Sim, but because it has nfc, Verizon uses a special Sim card. I'm guessing it won't work.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
I was wondering the same thing. When I preordered my iPhone 6 for whatever reason it and the sim are showing a different phone number then the one I have service on. Don't have a clue to as why. So I had customer service send me a iPhone 6 sim card with my correct number and current plan. Tracking shows it will be here wednesday. So I'll pop that bad boy in on friday and see what happens. If it doesn't work, it will be max for me. ;)

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I have unlimited but I had a galaxy s4 so I couldn't switch sim cards. I just called up verizon and they switched the phone to my unlimited plan. No problems and for everyone saying I have to keep the 30$ data plan on my dumb phone line well he took it off.

Civicsixxx

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
New Castle, DE
Can anyone confirm this worked?
Yes, this worked for me. I ordered an iPhone 6 on my wife's line (TDP) and when it came yesterday, I popped in my SIM from my iPhone 5 (UDP) and it worked immediately. The account still shows unlimited data for my line.

Although, I believe the iPhone 6 needs a newer SIM to use NFC (that's how I stumbled upon this thread :) )

When I log into my VZW account there is an option to order a 'NFC SIM'. I am going to try that. I would assume that issuing a new SIM wound't make any changes to the account.

justinnn

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Yes, this worked for me. I ordered an iPhone 6 on my wife's line (TDP) and when it came yesterday, I popped in my SIM from my iPhone 5 (UDP) and it worked immediately. The account still shows unlimited data for my line.

Although, I believe the iPhone 6 needs a newer SIM to use NFC (that's how I stumbled upon this thread :) )

When I log into my VZW account there is an option to order a 'NFC SIM'. I am going to try that. I would assume that issuing a new SIM wound't make any changes to the account.

Hi! Quick question for you. When you turn the iphone on, doesn't it say

"Confirm your phone number:
xxx - xxx - xxxx
This phone number should match the one you provided when purchasing..."

and then asks for you billing zip & last 4 SSN??? Did you put your wife's and it activated for you line since your SIM is in?

Civicsixxx

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
New Castle, DE
Hi! Quick question for you. When you turn the iphone on, doesn't it say

"Confirm your phone number:
xxx - xxx - xxxx
This phone number should match the one you provided when purchasing..."

and then asks for you billing zip & last 4 SSN??? Did you put your wife's and it activated for you line since your SIM is in?
Nope, I never received a message like that. I popped my SIM in (make sure you don't turn the phone on AT ALL with the SIM it ships with) and it was activated to my line.

I should also mention when I pre-ordered it asked if I wanted to use my current SIM or a new one and I selected the option to use my old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.