Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Hi everyone -

I've been using the Bluetooth in my 2010 VW Jetta Wagon since the iPhone 3G. It's been working great.

Now with the iPhone 6, I cannot answer or hang up calls with the control on my steering wheel. I don't know if the iPhone 6 or iOS 8 broke it.

Can other VW drivers confirm the issue?

Thanks!

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
I installed iOS 8 GM on my iPhone 5s last week and noticed that calls had difficulty going through to my RNS-315 in my 2012 Golf TDI. The phone would ring, then the MDI and main screens would flash as though a call was switching over, then revert back to normal screens. My iPhone would then pipe the phone call audio through a dead-end BT connection.

Definitely iOS8.

Un/re-pairing fixed it for a while, but it started happening again recently. My next step would be to reset all settings.

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
there's a known issue with iOS8 and blutooths across all manufacturers....

VW, Acura, Honda, BMW.... just to name a few.... the issue is being addressed and we've been told that buy the first update it will be fixed

CloudGarrett

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
I'm having the same issue with my Prius and headset...

I hope this gets fixed FAST.

I wish you all best of luck getting everything to work.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I installed iOS 8 GM on my iPhone 5s last week and noticed that calls had difficulty going through to my RNS-315 in my 2012 Golf TDI. The phone would ring, then the MDI and main screens would flash as though a call was switching over, then revert back to normal screens. My iPhone would then pipe the phone call audio through a dead-end BT connection.

Definitely iOS8.

Un/re-pairing fixed it for a while, but it started happening again recently. My next step would be to reset all settings.

That's strange. I have a 2012 Golf R also with the RNS-315. When I updated my 5s to iOS 8, I noticed that the car could no longer show the signal strength or carrier. I simply deleted and re-paired the phone, and everything was fine after that. Then I upgraded to an iPhone 6, and everything still works fine after pairing.

arnamak

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
Just wanted to update and say that it's broken with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well.

For what it's worth, I'd been using the iOS 8 beta since June and never had a problem through all of the updates, it started with the official release.

joxes

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
iPhone 6 bluetooth problem with Porsche and CMAX

I got my iPhone 6 last night. I had an iPhone 5S before running iOs8.

I have 2 cars: 2013 Ford CMAX Energi and a 2014 Porsche Cayenne.

After upgrading to iOS8 on the iPhone 5S, no problem to place and receive call on the CMAX. But on the Porsche it was a nightmare. The calls started then after two ringtones the call disconnected. I had to remove all the devices on my iPhone 5S bluetooth profile and the same on the Porsche. After the pairing was done I push the home button and on/off button. Then the connection was ok.

Now with the iPhone 6. The nightmare is back.

I was able to pair and connect the iPhone 6 on the CMAX. But as soon as I try to place a call, I hear the first ring, then the call is disconnected. Ford Sync even shows me that I just have one reception bar when in reality I have full reception on the phone.

Now for the Porsche, same issue. I was able to pair the phone. When I try to place a phone call after one ring the call is disconnected.

One the two cars I reseted to Factory setting both Synch system and PCM. Reseted the network settings on the iphone 6. Remove all the bluetooth devices, restored the phone. Then pair again the phone same issue.

I tried the wife' iPhone 6 same issue...

Based on this troubleshoot and taking under consideration the iPhone 5S with iOS was working it looks like there is an issue with the iPhone 6.

I was just on the phone with an Apple iPhone Tech support guy who just talked to one senior support guy. He just told me that there is a compatibility issue between the bluetooth used on the iPhone 6 and some car navigation/bluetooth. He told me that the issue is coming from Apple. And a solution maybe be provided at a later time in a patch.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Reset all settings and re-pairing fixed Bluetooth for me. But my iPod feature when plugged into USB on my car audio does not work with iPhone 6. Another poster on another forum is reporting the same issue. She says an iPhone 5 running iOS 8 does work. Anyone else with an iPhone 6 able to use iPod play on their car?

CloudGarrett

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Joxes,
Thanks for detailed info. I hope the update is sooner than later.

From reading all the other threads, it seems it's an issue that is affecting a LARGE number of car company's BT use, as well as a lot of different headsets and other wireless devices.

Hands free calls are a huge part of people's day-to-day routine and I would of hoped this was checked prior to the "final thumbs up".

I'm not a programmer or developer, so I don't know all the moving parts involved, and I definitely appreciate some of their hurdles. That being said, many of us aren't oblivious to the options out there and we CHOOSE to pay a premium on Apple products with the expectation of near perfect integration and a seamless transition for general use.

CloudGarrett

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Reset all settings and re-pairing fixed Bluetooth for me. But my iPod feature when plugged into USB on my car audio does not work with iPhone 6. Another poster on another forum is reporting the same issue. She says an iPhone 5 running iOS 8 does work. Anyone else with an iPhone 6 able to use iPod play on their car?

With an iPhone 6: I am able to play music and control it through my cars UI display. Podcasts play only if I set my vehicle to iPod, and use phone to press play through the podcast app - otherwise, it plays for 2 seconds and restarts over and over and over. Voice calls do not work at all. So far no amount of deleting, resetting, etc has been able to fix it.

I have a 2014 Prius

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
With an iPhone 6: I am able to play music and control it through my cars UI display. Podcasts play only if I set my vehicle to iPod, and use phone to press play through the podcast app - otherwise, it plays for 2 seconds and restarts over and over and over. Voice calls do not work at all. So far no amount of deleting, resetting, etc has been able to fix it.

I have a 2014 Prius

AppleCare says that my car audio needs a firmware update. I do not know anything about this stuff so maybe that is correct. The display shows that the phone is connected by USB but it gets stuck on "confirming the media." My car is a 2014 Outlander Sport. I initially had Bluetooth issues but, for now at least, the reset all settings and re-pairing seems to be holding, so I am just using Bluetooth.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I have a 2012 VW Golf and encountered similar issues with pairing my iPhone 6. More specifically, it wouldn't recognize my iPhone 6, and I wasn't able to delete the previous phone from the VW settings, receiving an error message that said something like "Cannot delete pairing of "XYZ" because it is also a phone".

I did a bit of research and I'm going try this after work:
1. Clear network settings on iPhone
2. Pair iPhone 6 with VW
3. After iPhone 6 has been paired, delete the previous phone settings
4. Hope for the best

From what I can remember, it's always a pain to pair a new phone with the VW, but once you get it to work, you never have to fumble with it again.

I believe to pair the phone, you first need to connect to VW using your phone, and then OK the pairing from the VW wheel/screen. I hope this somewhat helps.

AaronTrieu

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I have a 2012 VW Golf and encountered similar issues with pairing my iPhone 6. More specifically, it wouldn't recognize my iPhone 6, and I wasn't able to delete the previous phone from the VW settings, receiving an error message that said something like "Cannot delete pairing of "XYZ" because it is also a phone".

I did a bit of research and I'm going try this after work:
1. Clear network settings on iPhone
2. Pair iPhone 6 with VW
3. After iPhone 6 has been paired, delete the previous phone settings
4. Hope for the best

From what I can remember, it's always a pain to pair a new phone with the VW, but once you get it to work, you never have to fumble with it again.

I believe to pair the phone, you first need to connect to VW using your phone, and then OK the pairing from the VW wheel/screen. I hope this somewhat helps.

If you are restored your phone under the same exact profile name it will not allow you to create a new profile and if you can't connect, you don't get access to the bluetooth menu. What you need to do is create a new profile name temporarily. Then when you are connected, you should be able to access the bluetooth users and delete them all, including your bogus profile. Then after that you can create the new profile name

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
Got this problem on a Land Rover Discovery 4- worked fine on iOS 8 on iPhone 5 - but the new iPhone 6 plus refuses to work with it properly for some reason?

joxes

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
Problem solutiom

To solve the problem here is what to do

- Remove all the bluetooth devices from your car
- On your iPhone 6 : Settings/General/Reset/Reset settings
- Your phone will then reboot
- Start your car and initiate pairing
- Turn on bluetooth on the iPhone 6 as requested by your car
- Complete the pairing and you should be good to go

It worked in both of my cars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.