Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I always had my gmail account setup using Exchange and it doesn't seem to work anymore. If I setup just a gmail account with the default Mail app nothing pushes. This is incredibly frustrating. Is there any solution to this aside from using the Gmail app?

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I always had my gmail account setup using Exchange and it doesn't seem to work anymore. If I setup just a gmail account with the default Mail app nothing pushes. This is incredibly frustrating. Is there any solution to this aside from using the Gmail app?

Google discontinued activesync a long time ago. They grandfathered actual devices. So your old phone was most likely still grandfathered in. But your new phone, and any other new iOS hardware you get will not be able to use activesync on Google.

Zamrod

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Did this ever work? I've been using Gmail using my iPhone since the iPhone 3G. Google can't push e-mail unless you configure your account as an Exchange Server. They have instructions on how to do this on their website. However, there is a thread here where people are discussing the fact that there appears to be a bug with both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ where you can't set Gmail up as an exchange server anymore. It just doesn't function.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The trouble with searching for info on this specific subject is that if your search includes results from more than one year back then you might be reading something that is completely erroneous now.

I think it was the end of January 2013 when Google stopped allowing new devices to have Gmail or Google Apps Free set up as "Exchange". I'm not sure of the current status of "grandfathered" devices as it has been a long time since I've tried it with one.

So...if you have one of the above type accounts you'll need to set up as "Gmail" on the stock Mail app and will not have push. Google's Gmail app will receive push notifications, however.

A jailbroken device can use the tweak "Push for Gmail" to get an effective push in the stock iOS app.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
The trouble with searching for info on this specific subject is that if your search includes results from more than one year back then you might be reading something that is completely erroneous now.

I think it was the end of January 2013 when Google stopped allowing new devices to have Gmail or Google Apps Free set up as "Exchange". I'm not sure of the current status of "grandfathered" devices as it has been a long time since I've tried it with one.

So...if you have one of the above type accounts you'll need to set up as "Gmail" on the stock Mail app and will not have push. Google's Gmail app will receive push notifications, however.

A jailbroken device can use the tweak "Push for Gmail" to get an effective push in the stock iOS app.

Yeah, this is all correct and I'm seeing now that I was living the high life the last year or so with my old iPhone 5 that got grandfathered in with Push via Exchange.

I saw some talk of a site/service called NuevaSync that claims to let you use an Exchange setup with Gmail on the iPhone, but after setting it up it didn't seem to be Pushing correctly. If anyone else tries it and gets it to work, let us know how you did it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.