Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
OMG.. simultaneous voice/data finally

Simultaneous voice data finally works! I just tried it as well. Called a friend's sprint iPhone who doesn't have VoLTE and I could browse the web simultaneously. Apparently VoLTE is only available on the new iPhones (on verizon's network) at the moment.

Nerdface Killah

macrumors member
May 30, 2013
I had to call in to Verizon to activate my iPhone 6 Plus and while we were on the line I asked if he could add on the Advanced Calling 1.0. He called it HD Voice but it did the same thing and it's working. I get Data + Voice over LTE :) So happy!

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Any other confirmations that the iphone 6 can do voice and data on verizon LTE now. How is the experience for you guys, any drawbacks?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Any other confirmations that the iphone 6 can do voice and data on verizon LTE now. How is the experience for you guys, any drawbacks?

None at all. I got used to not having both for the years I was on Verizon, though I was always a bit jealous of other networks ability to do it. Now my biggest Verizon annoyance is gone.

imdlink

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Simultaneous Voice/Data or Volte and Advanced Conference calling confirmed

I have confirmed that the new VoLTE Verizon iPhone 6 provides voice/data access without Wifi. I have only confirmed that you can now switch between multiple calls and end individual calls without dropping everyone. The inability of the iPhone 5s to do this was a major handicap for me, thus my reason for switching back to ATT as of yesterday on the iPhone 6. I picked up a Verizon iPhone 6 this morning after speaking with an in-store Verizon rep who really didn't know how VoLTE worked and the restrictions associated with it. I made the decision to just purchase it and try it at home. I was able to do all of the above mentioned without wifi once LTE coverage was turned on for Voice. By default it is set to Data only. I was able to stay on multiple calls, switch between and merge calls, surf the web and text back and forth with my wife all without issue. This is what I've been waiting for on Verizon for the iPhone. Now Verizon has the perfect package for me, outstanding signal strength and advanced VoLTE capabilities.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
I have confirmed that the new VoLTE Verizon iPhone 6 provides voice/data access without Wifi. I have only confirmed that you can now switch between multiple calls and end individual calls without dropping everyone. The inability of the iPhone 5s to do this was a major handicap for me, thus my reason for switching back to ATT as of yesterday on the iPhone 6. I picked up a Verizon iPhone 6 this morning after speaking with an in-store Verizon rep who really didn't know how VoLTE worked and the restrictions associated with it. I made the decision to just purchase it and try it at home. I was able to do all of the above mentioned without wifi once LTE coverage was turned on for Voice. By default it is set to Data only. I was able to stay on multiple calls, switch between and merge calls, surf the web and text back and forth with my wife all without issue. This is what I've been waiting for on Verizon for the iPhone. Now Verizon has the perfect package for me, outstanding signal strength and advanced VoLTE capabilities.

How many calls can you conference in on volte?

imdlink

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
How many calls can you conference in on volte?

I had two conferenced together but the handset had the ability to conference more. I read last night on a Verizon spec sheet online for VoLTE that advanced calling is now enabled for up to 6 calls concurrently. After what I saw it do today with just the two calls, I am pretty confident it can do more since it is no longer relying on CDMA which limits calling features.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I think I found a bug with Verizon's implementation. I enabled VoLTE and did a cdma call with people on a different carrier and land line. I couldn't merge the calls together! It would just switch between the two calls, but not merge them together. I disabled VoLTE and now the merge calls work. Any one else that this same issue?

artguy3d

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Has anyone got the 6 conference call feature working yet? And I'm still not seeing the HD voice (or video option) come up when calling another Verizon iPhone6 - both new with voLTE enabled - but the data while talking part works fine, and is very fast.

So I'm wondering if the other features such as: HD voice, the Verizon Video, or 6 line conference call, are working in other parts of the country on the iPhone 6 yet?

imdlink

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Voice/Surf/Conference calling over VoLTE

Has anyone got the 6 conference call feature working yet? And I'm still not seeing the HD voice (or video option) come up when calling another Verizon iPhone6 - both new with voLTE enabled - but the data while talking part works fine, and is very fast.

So I'm wondering if the other features such as: HD voice, the Verizon Video, or 6 line conference call, are working in other parts of the country on the iPhone 6 yet?

Below is link to read up on for conference calling over VoLTE with Verizon

http://m-support.verizonwireless.co...lessService|AdvancedCalling.g_all.f_all.html#

In regards to real world use, I'd like to add something to my post earlier regarding simultaneous voice/data without WiFi. I was on a call via Bluetooth while driving a short time ago with VoLTE enabled. The call connected and stayed connected for a few minutes before failing. The audio quality of the call continued to degrade until it just failed. This is the first time I've ever had a call failure since switching to Verizon this past January. What this means, is that as mentioned before even though you're in a LTE coverage area, the signal will fluctuate and it did to the point that the call dropped. Verizon clearly states that VoLTE calls will fail if the coverage area changes, and sure enough it did today. So if you're ok with dealing with more call failures as the technology matures, by all means the iPhone 6 is a great phone for Verizon because it clearly does what the 5s can not do.

As for me, after completing all of these tests, I have made the decision to stay with ATT as their network can do everything I'm looking for natively without adjusting cellular call settings on the actual handset. ATT's coverage area may not be as great as Verizon, but I'd rather be able to talk/surf and conference call with multiple people as needed without having to think about my immediate coverage area and traveling within it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Below is link to read up on for conference calling over VoLTE with Verizon

http://m-support.verizonwireless.co...lessService|AdvancedCalling.g_all.f_all.html#

In regards to real world use, I'd like to add something to my post earlier regarding simultaneous voice/data without WiFi. I was on a call via Bluetooth while driving a short time ago with VoLTE enabled. The call connected and stayed connected for a few minutes before failing. The audio quality of the call continued to degrade until it just failed. This is the first time I've ever had a call failure since switching to Verizon this past January. What this means, is that as mentioned before even though you're in a LTE coverage area, the signal will fluctuate and it did to the point that the call dropped. Verizon clearly states that VoLTE calls will fail if the coverage area changes, and sure enough it did today. So if you're ok with dealing with more call failures as the technology matures, by all means the iPhone 6 is a great phone for Verizon because it clearly does what the 5s can not do.

As for me, after completing all of these tests, I have made the decision to stay with ATT as their network can do everything I'm looking for natively without adjusting cellular call settings on the actual handset. ATT's coverage area may not be as great as Verizon, but I'd rather be able to talk/surf and conference call with multiple people as needed without having to think about my immediate coverage area and traveling within it.

Okay. To me coverage is more important than talk and surf.

That aside your post is confusing. You bought an iPhone 6 on verizon but have an ATT account?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Okay. To me coverage is more important than talk and surf.

That aside your post is confusing. You bought an iPhone 6 on verizon but have an ATT account?

He bought it to see if it was capable of being like an ATT iPhone because of Verizon having better coverage. It didn't work out for him.

The funny part is it didn't work for him BECAUSE of coverage (LTE) or the lack thereof.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
If I hack the iPhone 6 to use a the month-to-month iPad data-only plan, as I've been using on my iPhone 4 for past couple years, will this VoLTE still work?

imdlink

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
He bought it to see if it was capable of being like an ATT iPhone because of Verizon having better coverage. It didn't work out for him.

The funny part is it didn't work for him BECAUSE of coverage (LTE) or the lack thereof.

That is correct, I had a Verizon iPhone 5s, received an ATT iPhone 6 (new line of service), then purchased a Verizon iPhone 6 to compare the VoLTE features with ATT. I ended up returning the Verizon iPhone 6, selling my Verizon iPhone 5s and finally ported over to ATT with the iPhone 6. I had to really weigh the pros and cons between the providers before deciding to port over to ATT. Hope that clarifies things a bit more!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That is correct, I had a Verizon iPhone 5s, received an ATT iPhone 6 (new line of service), then purchased a Verizon iPhone 6 to compare the VoLTE features with ATT. I ended up returning the Verizon iPhone 6, selling my Verizon iPhone 5s and finally ported over to ATT with the iPhone 6. I had to really weigh the pros and cons between the providers before deciding to port over to ATT. Hope that clarifies things a bit more!

Got it. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.