Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I have a bunch of Pages documents on iCloud, which I access from my iPod Touch 4th gen on iOS 6, my iPad 3rd gen on iOS 6 and My Mac Pro, on 10.8.5. As long as I don't update my Pages app, everything works fine.

What will happen to this set-up if I decide to upgrade my iPad to iOS 8, and my Mac to OS X 10.10? Will iCloud Drive mean that my iPod Touch is iCloud-blind?

Loa

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
What will happen to this set-up if I decide to upgrade my iPad to iOS 8, and my Mac to OS X 10.10? Will iCloud Drive mean that my iPod Touch is iCloud-blind?

If you simply upgrade your iPad 3 to iOS 8, and Mac to OS X 10.10, nothing will change until you decide to upgrade to iCloud Drive. It'll ask if you want to after iOS 8 is installed. If you say yes, or you activate it later, your iPod touch (only the fifth generation supports iOS 8) will be unable to view or edit documents that previously had been synced with Documents in the Cloud. Recommend you wait until you're 100% on Yosemite & iOS 8 on ALL devices you want to sync before pulling the trigger.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if iCloud drive was automatically upgraded with iOS 8.

Loa

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if iCloud drive was automatically upgraded with iOS 8.

Loa

It's not automatically upgraded with iOS 8 and if you choose not to upgrade, it will keep working as is (using legacy "iCloud Documents" backend)

However if you upgrade your Mac to 10.10 this October, you only have two options:
A) keep using old iCloud Documents. Then nothing will sync from or to your Mac. iCloud Documents will keep working between your iOS devices but your Mac lose access.
B) upgrade to iCloud Drive. Then all your devices except the 4th gen iPod touch will work with iCloud Drive.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
A) keep using old iCloud Documents. Then nothing will sync from or to your Mac. iCloud Documents will keep working between your iOS devices but your Mac lose access.

Damn! Good to know! And, also, what a bother!

It seems that with every Apple OS upgrade, I have less to gain, and more to lose. Wasn't there a time when there was *nothing* lost in an upgrade? Until Mac OS X 10.7, it seems that we only gained with each upgrade.

Bottom line for me is that I'm stuck with iOS 6 and 10.8.5 for as long as new apps won't require more recent versions, at which point I'm going to have to ditch something that was still fully functional.

Worse part is that Apple could, without even a single doubt, enable iCould drive on iOS 6. They won't, but they could, and my guess is that it wouldn't be all that hard.

It's sad, really.

Thanks for the info.

Loa

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Damn! Good to know! And, also, what a bother!

It seems that with every Apple OS upgrade, I have less to gain, and more to lose. Wasn't there a time when there was *nothing* lost in an upgrade? Until Mac OS X 10.7, it seems that we only gained with each upgrade.

Bottom line for me is that I'm stuck with iOS 6 and 10.8.5 for as long as new apps won't require more recent versions, at which point I'm going to have to ditch something that was still fully functional.

Worse part is that Apple could, without even a single doubt, enable iCould drive on iOS 6. They won't, but they could, and my guess is that it wouldn't be all that hard.

It's sad, really.

Thanks for the info.

Loa

It is, indeed, sad. Just for me, 10.8 took away the ability to pan around PDF files with mouse (which is rediculous on non-trackpad Macs), and 10.9 took away 80% of QuickTime Player's features as well as iChat Theatre. I have now partitioned my Mac to have 10.6, 10.8 and 10.9...

Apple wants to force us update software, and consequently, hardware.

Last, there's still a (extremely troublesome, crashy and unrealistic) way to use iCloud Drive on iOS 6. Download a 3rd party web browser, change User Agent String to Safari for Mac. Go to iCloud.com and use the web interface. Some 3rd party web browser supports uploading&downloading files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.