Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
My Apple ID is currently @gmail.com as the primary address. A secondary address is @icloud.com. How can I switch them? I tried to do this on the manage Apple ID website, but it won't allow me to do so.

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
This is a very common complaint. There are many threads on the forum about the same thing you're talking about.

Submit feedback: http://apple.com/feedback

cj3k

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting find!

Have you played around with that at all. I have an appleID that is say bob@mac.com and another that is bob@gmail.com. I'm wondering if this would now let me change the second one to bob@mac.com also and effective merge the accounts?

Doesn’t look like merging is a thing. I haven’t done it yet because I am trying to make my iCloud email alias my primary iCloud email address before I make the adjustment.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Doesn’t look like merging is a thing. I haven’t done it yet because I am trying to make my iCloud email alias my primary iCloud email address before I make the adjustment.
Can you please post back here how this works out for you. I'm really curious.

In the paste this would not work because in effect bob@mac.com for example IS an AppleID and not just an iCloud address, so I'm curious how this works now.

cj3k

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Can you please post back here how this works out for you. I'm really curious.

In the paste this would not work because in effect bob@mac.com for example IS an AppleID and not just an iCloud address, so I'm curious how this works now.

I have an @gmail.com account…but I no longer use it. I do use my @iCloud.com email address that is attached to my @gmail account. (When you sign up for iCloud email, you have to create an @icloud address)

I can change the primary email address on my Apple ID to any other email except my @icloud email…now I can.

cmonkey1976

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
UK
I have an @gmail.com account…but I no longer use it. I do use my @iCloud.com email address that is attached to my @gmail account. (When you sign up for iCloud email, you have to create an @icloud address)

I can change the primary email address on my Apple ID to any other email except my @icloud email…now I can.

Did you say you managed to change an existing iCloud alias to the primary one?
I have my main iCloud email (which I created at the time of setting up iCloud)... but it's not an email address I want to use. I have created an alias but really want to do is swap the primary with the alias - is that what you did.

Haven't been able to change my Apple ID yet as appears the servers haven't caught up with the change in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.