Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axforts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Can anyone shed light on how to do this?

Current setup- FiOS phone, internet, TV.

came with actiontec MI424WR modem/router and I hate it. Its range is nothing like what my airport extremes range was. I tried in bridge mode and noticed slowdowns, and Id really like to avoid having bridge mode. I want my airport to do the DHCP but I know that I will lose my fios guide functionality if i do so.

After searching this forum i seemed to find an unresolved questions
--
Let me see if I have this right. Is this what we should do?

There is a coax cable going from the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to the Verizon router. Leave this cable in place.

Hook an Ethernet cable from the ONT's Ethernet jack to the Time Machine's WAN jack. (Time Machine is just a particular form of an Apple Airport Extreme router).

Hook an Ethernet cable from one of the Time Machine's LAN jacks to the Verizon router's WAN jack.

Get Verizon support to configure the ONT so it passes Internet connectivity through the ONT's Ethernet jack (instead of or in addition to passing it through the coax jack?).

Reset the Verizon router (so we're starting from a known configuration).

Set the Verizon router to get its network connection from its Ethernet WAN jack instead of from its coax jack (or have Verizon support do this).

- - - - -

Is this right? If not, please edit it and post a corrected, complete explanation, rather than trying to explain what is wrong with the above.

Thanks!

If this is indeed the correct way to do this...then with my router and modem being upstairs and the ONT being on the side of the house...do I have to have an ethernet cable run upstairs?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Alex

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I have my ONT in the basement and coax from that to the Actiontec in the Family Room. This is wired to my TiVo, :apple:TV2, Blu-Ray player, and AEBS (100 Base T version) the AEBS's wired ports go to three other locations around the house and creates my 802.11n network.

In a previous FiOS install I used Cat 5 from the ONT to the Actiontec and my AEBS was behind that.

Long-winded way of saying you only need coax if you're going to keep the Actiontec.

B

axforts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Okay if i understand you right, im following a similar setup right now
ONT outside, coax from that to actiontec upstairs, wired connection from that to my aebs acting as a bridge(http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD031LL/A/AirPort-Extreme?mco=MjI5NjE4MTE), and everything else is off that via ethernet or 802.11g/n. AEBS is in bridge mode and actiontec is supplying all the Ip addresses. no other settings have been touched

This configuration allows for interactive guide and all features to work flawlessly.

however, what im looking to do is have my AEBS work not as a bridge, but receive the internet directly from the ONT and then work as a router assigning ip addresses and supplying my 802.11g/n network. However, my concern is losing my interactive guide features. in the old days of fios they used to use a NIM device in place of the actiontec in order to supply the tv information. now, im unsure if this is possible.

id like my setup to be ONT-router-network alongside ONT-something(actiontec?)-set top boxes

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Not what you want to read - I was skeptical but upon installation, tech had me plug my laptop directly into the Actiontec and then into an Airport in bridge mode and run speedtests over the hour he was on-site. I had no difference in ul or dl throughput between the 2. I have the wireless turned off on the Actiontec.

If you want the NIM + no bridge mode method, you'll have to call Verizon and have activate the ethernet out of your ONT and IIRC they need a truck roll to do something else on site plus you need to acquire one of those Motorola NIMs for the STB. This method still works, as I have a neighbor who went this route recently.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
id like my setup to be ONT-router-network alongside ONT-something(actiontec?)-set top boxes

Also not what you want to hear.

I actually had my AEBS as the router briefly in California when my Actiontec died. I didn't have TV there and they were unwilling to keep it that way when they shipped me a new Actiontec.

Here in MA I have TV though I don't use the VZ STB. I have a CableCard in my TiVo HD. I haven't broached the idea with VZ to get the MAC address of one my Apple routers tied to the service.

Why doesn't Apple just support MAC spoofing like most router vendors....

B

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use ethernet from the ONT to my Time Capsule, bypassing Verizon's router, but I only use FiOS for internet - no TV or phone service - so I don't know how this affects their TV menu services.

I have no idea if data is being put through the coax at the same time (but I doubt it).

Krispy162

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Digging this thread up a bit.

I have the fios router and it's setup in my basement where I have my iMac. The problem is upstairs of our macbooks, iPads & iPhones struggle with wifi connectivity. Drops quite often.

Someone suggested connecting my airport via CAT to the fios router, put it in bridge mode and have the AE on the main floor.

AE is connected - in bridge mode - Didn't run it upstairs because my cable wasn't long enough but is there anything else I need to do or is this it?
AE utility shows green light to both the AE and Internet

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Digging this thread up a bit.

I have the fios router and it's setup in my basement where I have my iMac. The problem is upstairs of our macbooks, iPads & iPhones struggle with wifi connectivity. Drops quite often.

Someone suggested connecting my airport via CAT to the fios router, put it in bridge mode and have the AE on the main floor.

AE is connected - in bridge mode - Didn't run it upstairs because my cable wasn't long enough but is there anything else I need to do or is this it?
AE utility shows green light to both the AE and Internet

This is an old thread so I doubt some of the posters will reply still...

Either have your FIOS router set to Bridge Mode (If Allowed) and set the AirPort to DHCP and NAT mode, or you can leave the FIOS router set to router mode and leave the AirPort in Bridge Mode. It makes no difference aside from the guest network.

robwilson

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012

Either have your FIOS router set to Bridge Mode (If Allowed) and set the AirPort to DHCP and NAT mode, or you can leave the FIOS router set to router mode and leave the AirPort in Bridge Mode. It makes no difference aside from the guest network.

Here is how I am setup:

I turned off the wireless part of the Fios Router, plugged in my Airport Extreme into on of the Ethernet ports on the router. I added the $99.00 airport express upstairs to extend my wireless. All wireless traffic goes directly through the Airport Routers, then into the Fios router and then out to the internet. The speed test was substantially faster using the Apple Router vs the Fios router.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Here is how I am setup:

I turned off the wireless part of the Fios Router, plugged in my Airport Extreme into on of the Ethernet ports on the router. I added the $99.00 airport express upstairs to extend my wireless. All wireless traffic goes directly through the Airport Routers, then into the Fios router and then out to the internet. The speed test was substantially faster using the Apple Router vs the Fios router.

Did you bridge the FiOS router?

robwilson

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012

Did you bridge the FiOS router?

Nope, no need to....

nascars321

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Having worked in fios tech support it is possible to run Ethernet from the ont directly into the extreme. Then run lan to wan on the action tech router. This will allow you to keep your guide on the tv. Anyone can install the Ethernet. Just a call to fios tech support and that port will be turned on.

Just an FYI

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Here is how I am setup:

+1 on this setup. This is what I'm doing also and it works well. The speed is indeed faster through the Apple routers.

Krispy162

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Here is how I am setup:

I do wanna try something else to help get my speeds up, I pay for the faster internet and I'm barely using it!! Right now all I have is the AE and the Verizon router(and will go buy the express if need be).

1-How is the express connected to the Extreme? Running cable?
2- My Airport Extreme is a good 5-6 years old. Think I should get the newer generation? or adding the express is sufficient enough?
3- When you do this method did you lose the fios guide or did you do what Nascar suggested with the ONT?

Last edited:

robwilson

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
I do wanna try something else to help get my speeds up, I pay for the faster internet and I'm barely using it!! Right now all I have is the AE and the Verizon router(and will go buy the express if need be).

1-How is the express connected to the Extreme? Running cable?
2- My Airport Extreme is a good 5-6 years old. Think I should get the newer generation? or adding the express is sufficient enough?
3- When you do this method did you lose the fios guide or did you do what Nascar suggested with the ONT?

The Airport Express is connect to the Airport Extreme wirelessly. You can do this with the Airport Utility. You might want to go ahead and get the newest model of Airport Extreme. I don't lose any functions of the STB or channel guide with the setup. As a matter of fact, I just upgraded to Quantim Fios 50mb and it screams like crazy now!

Krispy162

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I have the 50 also and they offered me the next step up for $5 more a month but my internet crawls!! Mainly because everything is setup in the basement relying on the fios router.

Okay I'm gonna buy the needed things today and see! Might be back with questions cause I'm not entirely sure how to turn off the wireless on the fios router

Krispy162

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I turned the wifi off of my fios router and installed the brand new Airport Extreme next to it. Ran speedtests throughout the house and the results were def better! I haven't even opened the express yet.

If i just leave the speed test page up
Download: 51.72
Upload: 64.43
If I run the test and then go on another page and browse
Download: 33.57
Upload: 40.07
Another time it was alot lower

I'll probably still run the cable to the express upstairs. We stream NFL games so hopefully all this helps the quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.