Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Here's another thing to check:

When I activated my 6, by default, iOS updates existing apps whenever there are updates available on the App Store. My 6 was preloaded with iMovie, Numbers, Pages, etc. Out of the box, these apps require an update. These are HUGE apps and iOS was trying to update all of them at once, thus causing my WiFi performance to be TERRIBLE. I deleted the apps, restarted the phone and WiFi performance returned to normal.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Here's another thing to check:

When I activated my 6, by default, iOS updates existing apps whenever there are updates available on the App Store. My 6 was preloaded with iMovie, Numbers, Pages, etc. Out of the box, these apps require an update. These are HUGE apps and iOS was trying to update all of them at once, thus causing my WiFi performance to be TERRIBLE. I deleted the apps, restarted the phone and WiFi performance returned to normal.
Auto updates are all set to off.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
My 6 Plus, the wife's 6, and daughters 6 are all doing fine on 5ghz AC.

Are you by chance using the newer extreme or time capsule? I have the newer Time Capsule with AC and I am getting better coverage with the iPhone 6. However, the speed is almost half of what I was getting on 5ghz N with my 5S. The only other AC device I have to compare it to is my rMBP and its getting roughly the same 43-45Mbps down that my 5S was getting on wireless N which is roughly what I should get. I am on the 45/6 package with Uverse.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
No WiFi problems here so far. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411258231.053239.jpg

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Are you by chance using the newer extreme or time capsule? I have the newer Time Capsule with AC and I am getting better coverage with the iPhone 6. However, the speed is almost half of what I was getting on 5ghz N with my 5S. The only other AC device I have to compare it to is my rMBP and its getting roughly the same 43-45Mbps down that my 5S was getting on wireless N which is roughly what I should get. I am on the 45/6 package with Uverse.

I have the new TC and speeds are just as fast as any other device in my house. Right now, 100 Mbs DL. The new TC is capable of a/b/g/n/ac, so it should be using ac or n with the 6.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
My guess it's not an iOS 8 issue, but an issue with certain routers not updating their FW to handle iOS8.

If it's that, there seems to be a lot of routers that are not usable now. I haven't tested my router for long at home. Will do later.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
My guess it's not an iOS 8 issue, but an issue with certain routers not updating their FW to handle iOS8.

So Apple releases iOS 8 and then suddenly dozens of router manufacturers have trouble across hundreds of different models, and you place the blame on their feet?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
So Apple releases iOS 8 and then suddenly dozens of router manufacturers have trouble across hundreds of different models, and you place the blame on their feet?
Works perfectly fine with my new TC, which oddly enough updated it's FW shortly before iOS 8 release. iOS8 uses a mac address randomizer, which basically sends out fake mac addresses so companies can not spy on devices. This is what is likely causing issues. Try turning off everything but Find my iPhone, motion calibration and Compass calibration under Privacy, Location Services, system Services and see if that helps.

Last edited:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Hey everyone I had posted this in a different thread but maybe this will help.

I have the Airport Extreme ac and was having trouble connecting to it with my iPhone 6. This usually happened after returning home. The phone would not be able to see any wifi networks or connect. The only fix was a restart or a network settings reset. So I backed up, plugged into iTunes, downloaded a fresh copy of iOS 8 from the server and reinstalled. Everything seems to be working fine for the last 24 hrs. YMMV.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Works perfectly fine with my new TC, which oddly enough updated it's FW shortly before iOS 8 release. iOS8 uses a mac address randomizer, which basically sends out fake mac addresses so companies can not spy on devices. This is what is likely causing issues.

Works fine on my Netgear too, changes nothing. When hundreds of devices work fine with thousands of different clients up until ONE company does an OS update and then those hundreds of devices stop working well with devices using that ONE particular update, the blame isn't with the hundreds of routers that work just fine with well, everything else.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Works fine on my Netgear too, changes nothing. When hundreds of devices work fine with thousands of different clients up until ONE company does an OS update and then those hundreds of devices stop working well with devices using that ONE particular update, the blame isn't with the hundreds of routers that work just fine with well, everything else.

How many operating systems use a mac address randomizer? That would be one, and that would only be iOS8. How many routers can handle that? I don't know.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
How many operating systems use a mac address randomizer? That would be one, and that would only be iOS8. How many routers can handle that? I don't know.

So we agree it's something Apple did that caused the problem.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I wouldn't blame the routers.
Wifi routers should not need any special firmware to handle ios 8 or the new iphone.
The new iphone and ios 8 should work fine without any problems on any router out there.
I had that same problem with my iphone 5 when it first came out.
After a reboot the iphone would work fine but it was very widespread until Apple fixed it with a firmware update.

iOS8 uses a mac address randomizer, which basically sends out fake mac addresses so companies can not spy on devices. This is what is likely causing issues.

Again, shouldnt Apple work on it so that mac address new security feature does not jam up wifi's and make their iphone device not be able to connect or use any wifi data?
Sounds like poor testing and implementation of features that should work seamless and connect to any wifi out there.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Thought it was my router but it's not. iPad works fine as well as iPhone 5. Takes about 40 seconds for pages to load, if they do at all. When in wifi settings, list available servers is hit or miss. Sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not. Speedtest app constantly times out when pinging. Tried it with and without iPhone silicone case. Same result.

Just tested mine and on my 2-3 yr old Apple AirPort Extreme router I got 33 Mbits down and 3.5 Mbits up. This is on my iP6+ with a $20 bodyglove case on it and about 25-35 ft from my route and through two walls.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
If your router is choking on that, you really need a new router.

ktang

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2010
Its an iOS 8 issue

I don't think this is an iOS 8 issue.

I have a iPhone 6 Plus and getting the same bad wifi problem that others are getting this in thread. My old iPhone 5 is updated to iOS 8 and is not having any slowness when connected to the wifi. I tried restoring my iPhone 6 Plus through iTunes and tried connecting to wifi and running speed test again and still getting the same low speeds. Playing videos through YouTube would stutter and buffer all the time.

Is there any other recommendation that I can try before heading to the Apple store?

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Same here. Terrible wifi issues with both my 6+ phones and iPad after iOS 8. Hope everyone is letting Apple know. www.apple.com/feedback

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I don't think this is an iOS 8 issue.
At this point, it's unclear where the issue is. Could be on Apple's side, could be the router. I think we're going to need people saying what routers they're using. Apple Airports seem to be fine, but there is at least one person with an Asus router that is having problems. However, I have an Asus RT-N16 running TomatoUSB, and it's fine with my iPhone 6.

I think people need to start saying which brand and model of router they are using.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I have a Cisco Linksys router and not a single problem with any iOS, Android or Windows piece of equipment I own. I get around 40mb/sec download and 20mb/sec upload. I have 2 iphone6's and both work perfectly.

paulink

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012

yeah, no. Routers do not need to recieve updates to accomodate operating systems, it's the other way around.

My ipad air has done this too, this is a widespread ios 8 issue. Power cycling my ipad temporarily fixes it.

H2K03

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
It does seem like an iOS bug. I've tried on two different routers (Cisco and Verizon) and my connection is at 50/50Mb. I've tried restore from new multiple times and resetting network settings. These seem to fix the problem but is temporary. I've tried resetting my routers. I've tried 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks. I've tried my friend's wifi. Everything doesn't work. I can barely eek out .18 Mb on my 50Mb connection! Even side-by-side with a 5S running iOS 7 the 5S is super fast. I love Apple but these kinds of things always seem to happen at launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.