Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigbadduke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
UPDATE: I discovered the problem only exists in landscape mode. The bar does hide after selecting a favorite in portrait mode. How could they miss this in testing? I assume this is a bug and not a "feature".

I hate the new bookmarks bar in iOS 8 on my iPad Air. How do I make the bookmark bar hide after making a selection. Apple brags about full screen but then takes away a quarter of the screen with the bookmarks bar. Who the hell leaves their bookmarks open all the time?

Last edited:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Actually this behavior is the same as Safari on Mac OS X. The left bookmark pane stays open until you choose to close it.
It may be an annoyance to you, but I think that is how Apple intended it to be.

Bigbadduke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I sure hope this is not the case. That is extremely annoying. Who keeps their favorites open all the time?

thestranded

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
It's not even consistent in landscape mode. If you open a new tab and select a bookmark from the sidebar, the sidebar automatically disappears. But it doesn't disappear if the tab already has a site loaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.