Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I'm having issues handling my 6. I'm going to put a Best Skins Ever skin on the body and it'll help greatly. I need some grippy on it.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The plus is not too big for me, in fact I like it better than I thought I would.

But if you're not comfortable with it you should definitely return it for a different phone.

Honest answer.

Last edited:

FanGirl77

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Alpharetta, GA
So far I'm really happy with the 6+ however I purchased a few different cases and the iface added just enough width that it became uncomfortable. So I put my body glove case back on and now I'm good to go

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
My hands grip the phone PERFECTLY when I'm holding it.
When I use it in my hand though, my hands have to shift over a little to actually use it, so my grip changes.
It does become a little cumbersome. However, I'm getting used to this very quickly. The first day I had it though, I had hand cramps by the end of the night. lol.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
All in all some good conversation here, plus or minus a few jerks. It's not a first world problem.. jeez. I'm just saying, I don't understand the larger sizes is all. I'm (anyone is) allowed to have an opinion on the matter. Don't get me wrong. I love the design, and the larger real estate, visually speaking looks great, I just find the phone harder to use because I can't reach things like I could before. I was curious to see what other people think, and it certainly seems split.

Anyway, cheers to those of you that love your phones, and here's to hoping the rest of us get used to them ;)

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I'm 6'2 and I find the 6 too big. I also am very used to using a phone one handed. My 4s was a bit small...I love the look of my 6, but wish it was the size of the 5s. Since I can't see them going smaller, I'll just have to get used to it.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
The 6 is a bit too big for my use. I am a 5'6" woman with a wide palm, but fingers on the shorter side; the 4" screen was probably the upper limit of what I could comfortably use one-handed, which is my preferred method.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to comfortably use the 4.7" screen without having to use two hands. I have to assume it'll get easier. I'm not returning the 6, so I'll have to figure it out! :p

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
They are definitely "wow that's big" at first.. but I bet you in a month if you pick up your old iPhone it will look like a silly toy that you could never go back to. ;) :)

Actually after 30 minutes with my 6 I picked up my iPhone 4. Holy **** that thing is small

----------

Ok I'm going to be 100% honest so don't say this is ******** or anything like that. Trust me this thing wanst cheap and I would call out a problem.

I do not find the iPhone 6 to be any more difficult to use then the iPhone 4 I came from. When holding it in one hand I can reach the top left corner (I use my right hand) with my thumb. Also reachablity is awesome and I think Apple did solve the right problem with it.

Apple gave me a phone that has a bigger screen so it looks amazing doing everything especially games and video with at the same time letting me use it in one hand. I could not be happier.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
After being used to the 5, it was an adjustment going to the larger 4.7" screen. Personally, I can't even imagine trying to use 6 plus.

While I appreciate the larger screen and think having the extra space will make the dislocation of change to a larger screen worthwhile, a part of me thinks 4.5" would have been better than 4.7".

In the end, like any new product line, there will always be many who are nostalgic for the older more familiar form factor. In time, I think everyone will adjust, since the improvements outweigh any of the advantages provided by a smaller screen.

nyc2pdx

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I got the plus in space gray.

It is big. Gone are the one handed days of using my phone.

I love the larger screen when using safari, apps, etc...as a phone-going to take a while to get used to.

The screen quality is great-I cannot see any individual pixels. Smooth as silk.

I am also running yosemite DP on my macs-I've found that continuity lessens the amount of time I actually use the phone in hand. Between speakerphone, using my macs, I am holding the phone a lot less.

So, I will get used to it.

AAPL21

macrumors member
May 11, 2014
Yes, it is.

I can palm a basketball, so I wouldn't consider my hand as small. But after using iPhone 6 last night I realized that I missed the size of iPhone 5. iPhone 6 is definitely harder to use one handed than the 5. So I'm glad I didn't get the 6 Plus, as I couldn't even type the URL without using Reachability. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone 6 Plus the more I use it, and it's trumps the 6 in battery, camera, and display; but a one handed device it ain't.

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas
I got the 6. Personally i think it's a TAD big. But maybe I just need to get used to it. 4.5 would have been perfect. I definitely would have hated the 6+. Thats just me.

Honestly... I wish it was a 4.9 instead of 4.7. The small difference in size for the reach aspect would have made up for it in the larger screen real estate. Since it is harder to use one handed that extra .2" would have been nice. I'm going to the local Verizon store tomorrow to check the 6 Plus out - I've got the 6 now and after my wife saw it she's wanting one. If I like the Plus better, she inherits my 6 and I'll get the 6 Plus.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I got my 6+ in yesterday and I love it. My 5S just looks so...idk if the right word is "bad"? But yeah I don't see myself ever going back to a phone screen that's below 5 inches. The screen quality (and I know i mention this a lot) is just amazing. One of if not the absolute best displays I've ever seen on a phone.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
I'm seriously considering exchanging my 6 for a 5s. I just want to make sure it's not something I'll regret later on. It's annoying changing grips trying to reach parts of the screen and the extra estate is not that big of a deal to me.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I want the 6's new features, but want to keep my 4S because it's the perfect size for my hand (I'm only 5'2"....). And now I'm thinking, "it's going to be too big no matter what, so why not go all the way and get the Plus?!"

I'm not happy about choosing between "way too big, but the Greatest Phone Ever" and "only a little too big but without all the features".

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
I have only spent one day with my 6 Plus and there is no way I could go back to my 5s. It makes my 5s feel like a toy size wise, I know that the 5.5" model isn't for everyone but to me the 4.7" is just about perfect size wise for those who don't want a phablet.

Everyone is different though but physically the 6 just isn't all that much bigger than the 5s. That's my honest answer as an honest person...

My thoughts exactly, picked in my 5S today to airdrop some stuff and thought to myself "wow this thing is so tiny!" And I felt like I needed to squint to see the screen!
Absolutely like my 6+ and I definitely understand it isn't for everyone but it's perfect for me

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I preordered my 6+ from the Apple Store app and when it hadn't arrived at my house 6 hours AFTER it was loaded onto a truck for delivery, I went to the Apple Store to see the new phones in person. I did have concerns about the 6+ possibly being too large, but it took all of 30 seconds using one in the store to know I made the right choice. I actually prefer to type two handed anyways because it's faster (even on a 5/5s), so it doesn't feel too big for me. I also discovered that if I hold the phone in the middle instead of towards the bottom, I can reach all corners of the phone with my thumb, which really contributes towards making the size of the phone a positive rather than a drawback for me.

Train

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Germany
I'm in the same situation as the OP. I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and I loved every single one. The 6 is the first iPhone which isn't absolutely perfect to me. Clearly, it feels fantastic, the screen is gorgeous, but:

After using it for about two days I think the display is way too big for me to use it with one hand. Even reachability doesn't help, because the display is too wide for me. I've used the 5s with one Hand almost every time. I tried to use the iPhone 6 with one hand throughout the day and now my thumbs hurt.

Don't get me wrong, of course I can use it with two hands, but it doesn't feel right to me. The iPhone should be all about portability and the iPhone 6 doesn't even fit in my pocket (and I' male, 1,80m). If I wanted to use a device with two hands I would just go with my iPad Mini. It has even more screen estate. A phone should be portable, I personally don't think the 5s display was too small. I'm young, I have good eyes and I have an iPad if I ever need a bigger screen.

So if Apple is ever going to release a 4" - version again I'll be the first in line.

BuckRogers21

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Longtime Android user here, since 2009. I've been envious of the iPhone 3.5/4" screensize for a long time. Not because we didn't have that on the other side, but because for the better quality models, we never really had one.
I've been wanting to make the switch to an iPhone for a while for the build quality bump and one-handed use, and the iPhone6 was going to be that time.. but now you guys have the same crap size we put up with.

I use a GS3 at the moment, and it's too big for one-handed use.
I knew Apple was going to release a larger size, but I was hoping for an updated 4" model, and a new 5.5". Not a 4.7/5.5.

By the way, the posts here read like people that haven't ever used a 4.7" phone before. Also, it sounds like most of you would eat up whatever Apple chose to sell you.

Steve J had it right with the 3.5/4 size. Like he said, people don't even know what they want.. you have to provide them what's best, not ask them.
I'm probably going to pickup a 5S, disheartening to see Apple go down this road of what amounts to garbage designs. The 6+ makes sense, if you're going to make it too big for most people to use 1 handed comfortably, then just go to a phablet.
For my wife, who wanted a Note3, I suggested she wait for something similar from Apple. Since she carries her phone in her purse, the 6+ makes sense.

To me the 6 is the worst of every world like my GS3. Too big for one handed use, too small to be as impactful or useful as the 6+. 5S or 6+ are the only choices for me.
~4.7" is extremely awkward of a size, even for my friends with huge hands who can reach all 4 corners without adjustments.

Just to update you on your future, those who think you need more time with the 6. You never do really get used to the size of the 4.7" screen. You keep thinking so, but you don't. You occasionally forget about it, and you also drop it more often.

If you live in a city and use public transportation daily as I do, sometimes standing while having to use your phone (mines not a toy, it's used for work and pages as I'm a doctor), the 5S is the only choice.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I have normal sized hands with longer-ish fingers and I love my iPhone 6. I can use it perfectly fine with 1 hand. I know some people have really small hands or fingers and i could see how the 6 might be too big. Lucky I only struggle with the 6+. Sorry OP>

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
They're both a bit big, aren't they?

Let me state for the record that I've owned every single phone Apple has ever made. My friends would describe me as an Apple fanboy, so this is by no means hate from someone who hates apple, but after getting the 6 yesterday, I find it difficult to use. I absolutely cannot reach the top 1/4 of the phone without adjusting my palm; something I didn't have to do with my 5 or 5S. And once I do that, I can't reach the bottom without adjusting again. The two areas where navigation tend to be.

I remember when the 5 came out, Apple even ran an ad talking about they had designed a bigger screen that was still, you know, reachable by people, and that it was that attention to user experience that set them apart. I get why they made larger phones - people were demanding them and they were losing money to competitors with larger phones, but still.

And yes, there's "reachability," Apple's admission of guilt. Seems to me they were solving the wrong problem there.

You can pass on the "cool story, bro," I'm just asking a question. You might love your larger screen for a million other reasons, but it IS harder to use now, isn't it?

I think users ages 40+ are the only ones with this "problem." Apple has officially moved away from 4" so you have to adjust.

Having a tiny screen provides the worst user experience possible. I wish they had just made a 5" and kept the 4" for you guys who are resistant to change.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Well, I'm 35, and I think I'd have to disagree with you on "the worst user experience possible." I can't think of a single time where I ever thought "man, I just can't do what I'm trying to do" on my 5S. But now I can't actually reach the top of the screen anymore - that's a huge problem.

I realize it kind of goes against Apple's desire to keep product lines simple (which, let's be honest, hasn't been the case for a while), but I think they should have made the 6 in 3 sizes, including a size that was the same as the 5S. I'm seeing a lot of comments in here from people that agree with me, or women who have explicitly stated that they have smaller hands, and are having a tough time. Yeah yeah, the 5S is still available, but I'm sure people would like to use Apple Pay, or have the better camera, or the slimmer phone.

I think users ages 40+ are the only ones with this "problem." Apple has officially moved away from 4" so you have to adjust.

Having a tiny screen provides the worst user experience possible. I wish they had just made a 5" and kept the 4" for you guys who are resistant to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.