Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Do you watch movies on your Macbook ? Is everything ok ? I just find it too dark (especially in the shadows, for example near the eyes) but I don't know if my MPB has an issue or if it's normal. Just checked the in-store model and compared with a video on youtube, they had the same issue (yellow tint too ...)
I don't normally watch movies on my Macbook. But I did watch some trailers on Youtube to see what the new screen can do. It seems okay to me. However, the gamma correction that clamnectar suggested makes it even better.

One of the issues that I noticed is the glossy screen make blacks look really black and some of the detail is lost. Another thing I noticed about the screen is that whites and colors are really bright. For movies, I had to turn brightness to around 5 to watch it properly. However, in general, I think the retina screens are a bit dim. I primarily use my Macbook to edit photographs and I find I have to turn the retina screen to 8 (two past half) compared with 6 on my 2011 Macbook Pro (matte high def screen).

The environment in which you watch a film will also change how it looks on the screen. If there is lots of light in the room, you will lose some of the detail in the blacks because of the contrast.

I've also applied a non-glare film to my screen to get rid of the reflection. This changes how things look on the screen also. For me, I think the glossy screen is one of the worst things that have happened to computers.

haafling

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I don't normally watch movies on my Macbook. But I did watch some trailers on Youtube to see what the new screen can do. It seems okay to me. However, the gamma correction that clamnectar suggested makes it even better.

One of the issues that I noticed is the glossy screen make blacks look really black and some of the detail is lost. Another thing I noticed about the screen is that whites and colors are really bright. For movies, I had to turn brightness to around 5 to watch it properly. However, in general, I think the retina screens are a bit dim. I primarily use my Macbook to edit photographs and I find I have to turn the retina screen to 8 (two past half) compared with 6 on my 2011 Macbook Pro (matte high def screen).

The environment in which you watch a film will also change how it looks on the screen. If there is lots of light in the room, you will lose some of the detail in the blacks because of the contrast.

I've also applied a non-glare film to my screen to get rid of the reflection. This changes how things look on the screen also. For me, I think the glossy screen is one of the worst things that have happened to computers.

I came to the same conclusion ...

I use VLC to watch movies and cmd+E allows you to change tons of settings (contrast, gamma, ...)

Thanks for your response :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.