Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deandean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I was thinking of buying an Apple TV and I wonder if I can use it as an extension of my computer located on my a different room.

I understand I can see whatever you have on your screen. If I have a keyboard and mouse connected to the AppleTV, can I actually fully control my computer if it is not at the same room?

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Not in the way you're thinking, in that the Apple TV isn't accepting input for your Mac, it's just mirroring the display.

If your wireless keyboard and mouse are powerful enough to reach the Mac from where the TV is, you can still use them that way. Another option, if you have an iOS device and just need limited control (as opposed to, say, heavy-duty typing) is to get Mobile Mouse Pro (or similar), which lets you control mouse and keyboard on a Mac via WiFi if you run the server piece there. I find that super-handy for controlling my Mac Mini HTPC.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
The Lord Hamsa speaks the truth! It is known that the AppleTV mini USB port is only for diagnostics and iTunes restorations.

Your options would be a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, some type of iOS controller via wifi or a really, really long USB cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.