Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Nobody ever suggested that and you know that, you're being ridiculous now.

Wow, did you forget I quoted you BEFORE you did the edit?

Just stop.

"Originally Posted by X-X View Post
I don't think the original post is correct regarding the pins of the USB cable.

Standard USB configuration is...

1. RED = 5 volts + (often marked with a little arrow)
2. WHITE = Data +
3. GREEN = Data -
4. BLACK = Ground -

If you look at the motherboard of the Mac Pro, the first pin has a little arrow, which means that
this should be "5 Volts +".

Which means the correct pins should actually be the middle ones (second + and third -) unless Apple is intentionally doing this wrong. Why would they do that?

Also you can clearly see the third and fourth pin marked as minus on the motherboard."

I went ahead and included the photo you had attached. (Before you edited it away)

Again I suggest that you just say "whoops, I was wrong" instead of trying to erase your prior words. (and images)

Attachments

• btc.png
    btc.png
    363.5 KB · Views: 298

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
You are being exceedingly unpleasant.

I didn't answer him because I didn't know. I just connect the wires where they go, as to which was which, I couldn't care less.

Only one person has come on here giving advice that would likely lead to a burnt out logic board, ace.

Never sold any wifi cards for $1,000. But if you search for "94360csax" you will find another parts dealer who has some Macbook cards for $929. Why? Because instead of canceling the item when he ran out he raised price to a point where there was no chance that anyone would buy them. Saves relisting fees, you owe prices when you have stock again.

And I stand by my assertion that if you follow the OP's instructions you don't have any need to know what the wires are, just don't follow the suggestions of any armchair engineers who haven't a clue, you might burn up something.

Your work is greatly appreciated here, and you really don't have to explain. Most of the adults here have business experience and eBay knowledge. I hope you continue to provide help with upgrades. Don't let the juvenile foot stomping of some users ruin it for us all. Keep up the good work.

A non-scammed, satisfied BT kit customer.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Nobody ever suggested that and you know that, you're being ridiculous now.
You Sir are being ridiculous. All he was doing was trying to help as he has been since this thread started. Take a chill pill, relax and don't blame others for your own ignorance.

Reactions: pizzigri

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Your work is greatly appreciated here, and you really don't have to explain. Most of the adults here have business experience and eBay knowledge. I hope you continue to provide help with upgrades. Don't let the juvenile foot stomping of some users ruin it for us all. Keep up the good work.

A non-scammed, satisfied BT kit customer.

Yes, I agree totally.
I have the kit which is a great product, service & info is tops.

jimj740

macrumors regular
MacVidCards,

Do I need anything else if I was to purchase the following item for my MP 2010?

http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p33/Wifi_AC_&_Bluetooth_Airport_Card.html

I just want to make sure I have everything in place before I spend the money on this only to find out there are other items I need.

Thanks

I can answer your question, having recently purchased this exact item. The kit contains absolutely everything necessary with the exception of small, nimble fingers, good eyesight, and a small phillips screwdriver (preferably magnetized). In the end I gave up after completing 3 of the 5 connections and called in my wife for help - and she made the last two connections in under a minute. If you have large hands like I do these connectors can be infuriating.

Once installed the kit has performed flawlessly.

Good luck & enjoy...

JimJ (happy customer - unpaid testimonial)

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I can answer your question, having recently purchased this exact item. The kit contains absolutely everything necessary with the exception of small, nimble fingers, good eyesight, and a small phillips screwdriver (preferably magnetized). In the end I gave up after completing 3 of the 5 connections and called in my wife for help - and she made the last two connections in under a minute. If you have large hands like I do these connectors can be infuriating.

Good luck & enjoy...

Perfect that is what I wanted to hear!! Thank you very much. Off to order it now.

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009

Good luck & enjoy...

So all that is required is accessing the slot inside the mac pro, disconnecting antennae from the existing card, installing this card, and connecting the antennae to the new card? Sorry if this obvious but it seems like there are 2 or 3 different solutions in this thread and I'm unclear whether an additional antenna wire is required? Is that USB cable thing I saw for a different solution?

Perfect that is what I wanted to hear!! Thank you very much. Off to order it now.

Did you buy the last one!??! The 4,1 model seems sold out :(

stjames70

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
Just buy the damn thing from MacVidCards!!!

Need I say more? It comes with everything and it works really well. I also had him mod an original GTX Titan 6GB and that is also humming along just fine.

Unless you really love being frustrated doing these little mods yourself, just get them from someone who has done these quite a bit -- and support his work -- I don't see hardly anyone (or actually no one else) who even cares about doing these types of mods well and for profit. He has done a superb job for me so far, so give the man some support and a little $$$. He deserves it. :apple::apple:

Visit his website. And have some money ready to spend. You won't regret it. :p

(BTW, this is totally unsolicited -- I have done quite a few mods myself and I can tell you that if I could have paid someone to help me do it well I would, but no one here in Denver to help me out)

jimj740

macrumors regular
So all that is required is accessing the slot inside the mac pro, disconnecting antennae from the existing card, installing this card, and connecting the antennae to the new card? Sorry if this obvious but it seems like there are 2 or 3 different solutions in this thread and I'm unclear whether an additional antenna wire is required? Is that USB cable thing I saw for a different solution?
:(

The exact procedure is well documented on his site; here is the link:

http://www.macvidcards.com/wifi-and-bluetooth-card-installation-in-a-41-or-51.html

-JimJ

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yes indeed. I have the first one. It's working beautifully for a month now. See posts # 28 and #30 here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1733267/

I've tried other external Bluetooth solutions, but this one (with the 3 Ft. USB Cable) is far more reliable than anything else I've used in both Mavericks and Yosemite. I need an external Bluetooth solution to avoid the dreaded interference problem associated with the Inateck USB 3.0 PCIe Card. This dongle fits the bill perfectly. I highly recommend it.

Lou

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Hmm.... That is actually a similar plan. A USB dongle made by an Apple card. That is more convenient. However, I prefer the internal plan because I think that build-in antenna system is more power and hiding the chips inside the machine is more elegant in looking, isn't it hahaha:D:D. That is my perspective. Just for references:):). I will add this link to the main article. Thank you for your contribution!!

The internal antenna on all Mac Pros is not working well based on my experience. I am currently using an external USB to get Magic Mouse working reliably.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The internal antenna on all Mac Pros is not working well based on my experience.

Wow, when did you get experience on my Mac Pro? Please send me all of your personal identification information so I can file a burglary report (just kidding) :D

The internal antenna on my Mac Pro works perfectly for me. Please don't assume all of anything based on YOUR experience. While it's common knowledge that USB 3.0 often causes interference for BT operations, we don't All have that problem. Mine works very well.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My cMP's BT works quite good as well. Although I have a USB BT, I don't need to use it. It's just a backup, in case the USB 3.0 interference occur, I can fix it straight away.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Sorry if this has been answered before in the thread - that connector that the iMac chip uses - I'm assuming that's Apple proprietary? Any chance that there is an m.2 adapter for that?

zero hectic

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
I have just combined the MVC kit with this solution for antenna:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/904437/
Now everything works a treat!

I have an Inateck 4 port USb 3.0 card installed in my Mac Pro, so I'm planning on doing something similar to what you've done, combining the MVC kit with the external antenna solution. I'm considering a tweak though, and if anyone can wave me off if it's a dumb idea, please feel free. I'm low on PCI slots to sacrifice to the external antenna pigtail, but I do have one of these installed:

http://www.newertech.com/products/pcieesata.php

Since there's plenty of unused space at the left side end of the card's plate, I'm planning on drilling the hole for the pigtail there, and save myself from having to give up a slot for the antenna. Would I be risking shorts or other problems by doing this? Any input from someone more knowledgeable than myself would be greatly appreciated.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
We have external antenae we can include with adapter. Not sure how to package and market so haven't listed yet. They have a magnetic mount, discovered that there is plenty of steel in cMP. Got to wonder how much lighter it would have been if all Al.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
. I'm low on PCI slots to sacrifice to the external antenna pigtail, but I do have one of these installed:

Further to my recent post - I ran out of pci slots, so I mounted the antenna on one of the pci cards I am using. This card had 2 ports, so there was room on the bracket (which I removed to drill, then replaced).

zero hectic

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
We have external antenae we can include with adapter. Not sure how to package and market so haven't listed yet. They have a magnetic mount, discovered that there is plenty of steel in cMP. Got to wonder how much lighter it would have been if all Al.

Would have loved to have the antenna available when I ordered! The card itself works great when I pull the USB 3 card. Thanks!

zero hectic

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Further to my recent post - I ran out of pci slots, so I mounted the antenna on one of the pci cards I am using. This card had 2 ports, so there was room on the bracket (which I removed to drill, then replaced).

Exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks for the additional insight.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hey, just wanted to point out that the same card, without the USB fiddling, works perfectly in 1,1/2,1. Gives them full support for Handoff/Continuty and AC WiFi.

Pretty amazing.

(when used with the newly released modded boot.fi)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 4.20.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 4.20.32 PM.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 272
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.