Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Ok, I have this iBook G4 1.2 Ghz and I want to know which hard drive should I go for:

-Normal Laptop Hard Drive
-SSD

Thanks!

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
The SSD will be an improvement, but not an overwhelming one. I use a Transcend 32 GB in my PowerBook.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I don't see why people invest in upgrades that are more expensive than the computer itself

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Which one is the best? Sorry for the question, just don't want to buy something that won't be compatible with the iBook

BTW, do I have to get an adapter if I get the SSD?

If it is a mSATA SSD it will require an adapter. Standard PATA/IDE SSDs do not require an adapter. I have used a KingSpec SSD in an old ThinkPad T42 without issue. Jrsx also has one and could perhaps give a review on it.

I don't see why people invest in upgrades that are more expensive than the computer itself

Because we like our Macs...

nemesiswar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Sweden
I recently got an iBook G4 1,2 12" and is also looking to upgrade to an SSD in it. I have been looking at the Transendance IDE 64gb. The only thing it really looks like a pain to change the hard drive in the iBook.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have put SSDs in most of my PPC notebooks. Any adapter with a JMicron 20330 or Marvel controller should do.

32GB and 64GB mSATA SSDs are very affordable now, particularly those pulled from newer notebooks and sold on eBay since people want larger sizes. Notebook IDE drives, on the other hand, are getting more expensive by the day as stocks dwindle of unused drives and older drives are a bit of risk. I had an 80GB die the other day. Smaller older IDE drives tend to be very noisy, too.

Taking poiihy's valid comment into account, for me the choice of SSDs is a no-brainer.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
If it is a mSATA SSD it will require an adapter. Standard PATA/IDE SSDs do not require an adapter. I have used a KingSpec SSD in an old ThinkPad T42 without issue. Jrsx also has one and could perhaps give a review on it.

Because we like our Macs...

Thanks! Will look on ebay for one.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks! Will look on ebay for one.

Be careful replacing the hard drive my friend. I just recently killed my iBook replacing the optical drive. These old machines are quite unpredictable. I don't want to deter you from replacing the hard drive, but just think about if it is actually worth the risk.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Ok, I have this iBook G4 1.2 Ghz and I want to know which hard drive should I go for:

-Normal Laptop Hard Drive
-SSD

Thanks!

And SSD would be quiet, more speedy, and way less fragile. The prices are starting to go down, so finding an 80GB one won't be bad, but it will cost you. Also, the labor it takes to replace a hard drive in any iBook is extreme. It will either be difficult and laborious for you or for a technician who will charge a large sum of money.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Be careful replacing the hard drive my friend. I just recently killed my iBook replacing the optical drive. These old machines are quite unpredictable. I don't want to deter you from replacing the hard drive, but just think about if it is actually worth the risk.

I know. It is just so hard :( Why do they do this? Seriously. :(

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I know. It is just so hard :( Why do they do this? Seriously. :(

To stop you opening your Mac to upgrade the optical drive and then break it. :D It means more work for their Geniuses if still in warranty.

Apple would prefer you to upgrade by buying new hardware. More $$$ for shareholders.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
To stop you opening your Mac to upgrade the optical drive and then break it. :D It means more work for their Geniuses if still in warranty.

Apple would prefer you to upgrade by buying new hardware. More $$$ for shareholders.

I personally like to blame my mistake on the faulty vreg chip found in the iBook G4. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.