Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
This. Even seeing them in the stores etc you can be unsure if they're worth it, but for me, as soon as I used mine "in the wild", the screen on my work cMBP, and the girlfriend's 11" Air (2013) just look rubbish tbh. The 21.5inch iMac is just about acceptable.
Exactly, and once you go Retina Mac, there's no way back. ;)

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
This. Even seeing them in the stores etc you can be unsure if they're worth it, but for me, as soon as I used mine "in the wild", the screen on my work cMBP, and the girlfriend's 11" Air (2013) just look rubbish tbh. The 21.5inch iMac is just about acceptable.

Exactly! I wondered if it was worth the extra money until I spent about 3 hours reading on it and realized my eyes weren't the least bit tired or strained. Worth every penny for retina.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Hi guys, thank you for all your help. I have been really busy recently so haven't had time to post. I really like the appeal of the MacBook Pro retina because the screen is bigger and larger hard drive, but I also found some good deals on the MacBook Airs in the refurbished store. I thought I had made my mind up on the Retina Pro, but now I might have changed my mind.

The most processor heavy thing I will be doing is working with Adobe programs and Garageband. The rest, is iTunes iPhoto and web surfing.

Will the Airs have issues running these programs if it has a slower processor than the Pros? I will spend a long time using the programs, but probably not use more than one program at a time.

Does anyone have one of these models, and use these programs on it? I am worried about the Air overheating or lagging.

The Airs are more in my budget, but I want to stretch it for a Pro.

The one I am considering is this:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Originally released June 2013
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
4GB memory
256GB flash storage
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel HD Graphics 5000

Thanks everyone

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Apple refurbs look like new, so I echo that.

Find the newest model you can for the amount you can afford.

Or if you're a student, buy new and get the education discount.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Hi guys,
I am still researching some refurbished options, as I heard most of them are in really good condition and probably had little use at all and can be cheaper.

I am trying to compare the differences between "Flash Storage" and "Solid State Drive" hard drives. Are the differences the speed? I heard Solid State was more reliable, but please correct me if I'm wrong. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi guys,
I am still researching some refurbished options, as I heard most of them are in really good condition and probably had little use at all and can be cheaper.

I am trying to compare the differences between "Flash Storage" and "Solid State Drive" hard drives. Are the differences the speed? I heard Solid State was more reliable, but please correct me if I'm wrong. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Both solid state and flash storage are essentially the same thing. Flash storage in Apple's terminology is an SSD soldered into the Logic Board. An SSD is a flash storage device with a SATA interface on it (like in a cMBP). Either way both are wicked fast and my Samsung 840 Evo in my cMBP routinely hits 500 MBps. The newest SSD/Flash Storage is PCI based and is significantly faster than a traditional SSD or older flash storage which is based on the SATA interface. You can see speeds of 650+ MBps on a PCI based flash storage. The Mid 2013+ MacBook Airs and Late 2013+ Retina MacBook Pros offer the new PCI storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.