Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What they should have done is still offered a phone that works well for one handed use according to Steve's guidelines because fact of the matter is phones are supposed to be pocketable devices that can quickly and easily be accessed with one hand while on the go, doing other tasks, etc.

If Apple wanted to offer a larger phone for the Android phablet loving crowd then so be it but it was a dumb move to offer TWO larger phones. Now consumers are faced with the option of big or bigger, dumb or dumber.

Both devices are awkward to use one handed. If I had this to do all over again and I had to upgrade I would have gone with the 6 plus because if you're going to have to struggle with an awkwardly sized "phone" then you might as well get the full, oversized, large screen, awkward experience.

To you and those that keep bringing up the 5S as an option. The 5S does not offer Apple Pay which will be huge and is a very important/crucial feature for myself and many others that have ever had their credit card data stolen.

And for those people claiming the 6 is the right size for one handed use, you are wrong. I'll provide you with this very nice and detailed mock up Mashable did on one handed use. Take note of the "thumb zone" image.

I will say it again but you are dead wrong with this insistence that the 6 cannot be used one handed. That link is completely bogus. Change the way you hold it ever so slightly and you can reach 95% of the screen easily, and the 5% you can't reach probably accounts for less than 1% of usage. I'm 5'6" with average hands and by shifting my grip up slightly which is not at all uncomfortable thanks to the new design I can reach everything from the home button to the top of the screen. Everything but the very further most upper corner from whichever hand I'm using.

In your case you really are 'holding it wrong.' :)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I was worried too about getting used to it but that's really all it is.....getting used to it and whether your willing to try or give up and go back to the 5S

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I will say it again but you are dead wrong with this insistence that the 6 cannot be used one handed. That link is completely bogus. Change the way you hold it ever so slightly and you can reach 95% of the screen easily, and the 5% you can't reach probably accounts for less than 1% of usage. I'm 5'6" with average hands and by shifting my grip up slightly which is not at all uncomfortable thanks to the new design I can reach everything from the home button to the top of the screen. Everything but the very further most upper corner from whichever hand I'm using.

In your case you really are 'holding it wrong.' :)

Agreed. The 6 works fine with one hand. Most of the screen is reachable, and double tapping the home button works!

icrot

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
this thread is hilarious.. it's amazing how customers have been taken so away with a product. it's just a phone, a device that a caveman can live without it. somehow, pending approval iphone 7 has surfaced :

apple-iphone-6-details.jpg

how would we as customer react ?

abluehaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
If the iPhone 6 was still 4" or near it.. I'd be typing this on my Galaxy S5 instead of the 6 Plus I bought Friday. I left iOS for 5" or higher screens.

1 inch makes all the difference. Ask your girl.

How immature. To humor you I'll stoop to that level for a brief moment to say, bigger isn't always better. Ask your girl!

You should be extremely elated with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus because they are basically Samsung devices with a Apple logo slapped on the back.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How immature. To humor you I'll stoop to that level for a brief moment to say, bigger isn't always better. Ask your girl!

You should be extremely elated with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus because they are basically Samsung devices with a Apple logo slapped on the back.

Have you held a recent Samsung device? That plastic and fake leather (with real fake stitches to boot!) sure feels great!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yes, I understand. But, my iPhone 6 plus battery is better than any phone I have ever used. That includes 4 different iPhone models and a few Androids. The larger battery makes up for the larger screen and more.

How come the same cannot be said for other large phones? iPhone was not the first large screen phone. Not even close. But somehow the battery life is better relative to other large phones. Other large screen phones of the past/current either have battery life that is similar to small phones or worse. But iPhone 6 Plus has better battery life, by significant margin it seems from user reports and comments I've read on the forum and other places.

What I'm saying is that Apple waited to make sure every aspect that was deemed unsatisfactory before regarding larger phones was rectified before making one and selling it. Battery life, usability, ease of use, software optimization, etc. were all factors that weren't that great compared to small phones in the past and some factors are even true today with smartphones that aren't iPhones.

----------

Have you held a recent Samsung device? That plastic and fake leather (with real fake stitches to boot!) sure feels great!

I have to agree. I thought cheap quality plastic (the kind used in dollar store stuff) was already THE low (not A low but THE low). But Samsung sure outdid themselves when they wondered how to make a product feel even cheaper than before. Take cheap plastic even further and try to (but failed to) mimic leather. Why not just use natural, genuine leather? For a $600+ device, a small rectangle of leather cannot be that expensive, especially in that kind of volume. Natural leather also will get a patina, which looks beautiful. It counters the "keep my device protected and looking brand new" notion of smartphone owners today. Patina is considered wear, but it's not the ugly scratch/scuff/chip/crack kind of wear. It's the worn and used and beautiful kind of wear. Many people do the same kind of thing with jeans.

----------

Samsung uses an unibody aluminum back with curved glass edges that meets the aluminum edges? Display that isn't the junk called OLED? Camera that isn't just called better because it has a bigger number attached in front of the two letters "MP"? SoC that isn't just called faster because it has a larger/higher number of cores and/or clock speeds? And not to mention, stuffed to the gills with "features" that don't actually work reliably and are half-baked and completely useless?

I want to see and buy THAT phone. Oh wait... I already did. I seem to remember staying up late to pre-order this phone on September 12th. And seeing a **** ton of people camping out at this place called the Apple Store trying to get one on September 19th. I never see any type of line for any Samsung product. I see a really long line (longer than people waiting to buy Apple products) for people returning their Samsung crap. The only other smartphone manufacturer that actually competes (and not flat out loses before the competition even begins) with Apple in terms of design, materials, quality is HTC.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

Basically.. But iOS is more reliable than Samsungs version of Android. (TouchWiz)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Don't understand comments like this. Steve was a visionary. He brought some brilliant products out during his time at Apple. On the other hand, he also brought out some products which didn't work. MobileMe, G4 Cube, Ping and also didn't see the antenna problem on the iPhone 4 as an issue. Steve also didn't agree with having the App Store until he eventually realised this was correct. Steve also didn't like the idea of the ''genius bar'' in the Apple Stores. Steve also thought he could treat his cancer by diet. Everyone had opinions, Steve had his and was often correct. The Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod was all a giant success as he predicted. He did however predict that larger phones wouldn't work or sell which they clearly have. Steve was wrong on some things.

At the end of the day, Steve's death was sad and he is still a huge influence on the company and always will be remembered. However, he is not here anymore, he is not leading the company. Tim Cook is. Tim Cook was Steve's desired replacement and Tim is not Steve. They are both different people who have different ideas. This is a new era for Apple. Its not Steve's era. The iPhone 6 and 6 plus look set to be a terrific success. If you don't like the iPhone 6 plus get the iPhone 6. If you like neither of them, get the 5s. You don't have to have the latest product if you don't want it. Its all a matter of personal preference but no, Steve wasn't right at all on the larger phones. He was quite wrong.
What people dont realize is that you cant do the same thing forever. It gets old after awhile. You have to move beyond it even if it means losing a few people along the way. You cant please them anyway. They will need to make other arrangements. People wanted bigger than bigger phones. IPhone 4 has antenna issues with those thin bands on the side. IPhone 5 has hard edges and is easily damaged and scratched from normal everyday use. People dont realize that the design still has to work from a functional standpoint.

At the end of the day Apple wouldve never made an iPhone or an iPad or an iPod if it listened to mac users and so called fans.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
My wife an iPhone snob hates her new 6 for the size factor alone. Too big for her, so it's going back and she's keeping her 5.

Thank goodness I did not sell hers yet, almost did.

To each there open, but OP is not alone.
I hate to say this, but this time I agree.

The iPhone design is so identical with samsung that I had to get really close in the store (where all phones are next to each other) just to identify which one is the :apple: one.

I also think that having the 5.5" is fine, because a lot of people wanted one, but there should be a 4" option! A real succesor to the 5s.

I will keep my 5c for now and I really hope :apple: sobers up and gives us a normal size phone in 2015.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
No constructive criticism is allowed here in "group think" land, amirite?
Opinions start to lose their constructive appeal the minute you start assuming what others want and in particular dead people. Sorry.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I hate to say this, but this time I agree.

The iPhone design is so identical with samsung that I had to get really close in the store (where all phones are next to each other) just to identify which one is the :apple: one.

I also think that having the 5.5" is fine, because a lot of people wanted one, but there should be a 4" option! A real succesor to the 5s.

I will keep my 5c for now and I really hope :apple: sobers up and gives us a normal size phone in 2015.

I spent quite a bit of time in Best Buy handling a bunch of different phones when picking up my 6 and none of the competitors were built anything like the iPhone. The closest was an HTC device that I could have been pretty happy with. The Samsung stuff felt like cheap toys.

jtmav

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
I think the one fact,and I think it is a fact, is Apple is being reactionary and catching up to a product. Very un-apple like. I don't think they had a choice because the public was demanding larger screens by it's buying behavior. In some ways Apple is to be commended for not being stubborn and arrogant as some market leaders can be which can cause real problems. I have a 4s and have been happy with it. I also have an iPad Air so I really don't want the 6+ but will probably upgrade to the 6. The OP made several valid points and some are excoriating him for personal preferences more than legitimate counterpoints. Everyone enjoy your phones whatever you chose.
JTMav

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.