Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
For those who miss the anti glare coating on the old MBP...

DSC_2236.jpg

wuush

macrumors member
May 4, 2014
Thats not fair :(

you post something many people desire and then you dont write anything about how to get it.

:confused:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
For those who miss the anti glare coating on the old MBP...

Unfortunately, it'll ruin the color gamut.

The antiglare BTO option from Apple on the cMBPs were all right (in fact color reproduction is even more accurate than retina - AnandTech has results regarding this), because these displays were calibrated directly from Apple.

Sure, you could calibrate a retina with a matte layer on it, but in the end, it's still not the same as the Apple antiglare display.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thats not fair :(

you post something many people desire and then you dont write anything about how to get it.

:confused:

Haha I'm sorry about that. I just got a matte screen protector on eBay, because most people are here are in the US, I suggest you look at your own country to see what's available.

Unfortunately, it'll ruin the color gamut.

The antiglare BTO option from Apple on the cMBPs were all right (in fact color reproduction is even more accurate than retina - AnandTech has results regarding this), because these displays were calibrated directly from Apple.

Sure, you could calibrate a retina with a matte layer on it, but in the end, it's still not the same as the Apple antiglare display.

I don't think it will ruin the colour gamut, sure putting a non 100% transparent layer will change many variables, but unless you are a critical designer, it won't matter to most people.

I got it to keep the screen clean. I have a keyboard cover that collects all the oils from my fingers and it always gets on the screen so this is a good alternative to cleaning the screen all the time, especially with reports that the coating on the display could come off.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
That's cool. I find that it doesn't affect the screen much too. It was a pain to put it on though.
Yeah, it was a total pain to apply. It took me about an hour to align it and remove the air bubbles and trapped dust. The film was so tight fitting that it's almost an exact fit to the edge of the rubber frame.

Looks great though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.