Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Read the entire thing. You shifted from talking about your experience with the 6 or 6 + and started talking about the Android experience.

Ah, yes. I know. I wrote it. I was trying to explain the parts of the 6 Plus that I dislike, and why. I love the hardware. I dislike the OS, and was trying to provide the areas of contrast between iOS and Android that matter to me, to explain my dislike of iOS 8.

Shenaria

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I've got used to the huge size of the 6 plus a lot more quickly than i thought.

Battery life and screen size for me are worth the trade off for not being able to use it one handed for most things. Still fine using it one handed for reading.

I think if ihadn't been using a 4.7" android phone before I got my iphone 5 then it would have been too much of a jump. I have small hands for my height anyway, so even the iphone 6 would have been a stretch to use one handed.

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
HOLLYWOOD
Ah, yes. I know. I wrote it. I was trying to explain the parts of the 6 Plus that I dislike, and why. I love the hardware. I dislike the OS, and was trying to provide the areas of contrast between iOS and Android that matter to me, to explain my dislike of iOS 8.

okay, but because you dislike iOS 8, I don't see why the 6 plus gets flak. Afterall, iOS 8 is not specific to the plus. You could just say that you don't like iOS 8.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
okay, but because you dislike iOS 8, I don't see why the 6 plus gets flak. Afterall, iOS 8 is not specific to the plus. You could just say that you don't like iOS 8.

The 6 Plus doesn't get any flak. I'm not sure you're really understanding me. My feeling would be the same for the regular 6. The 5.5 screen of the Plus is the only reason I swapped back to Apple. If the base 6 with the 4.7 screen was the only iPhone available I wouldn't have bothered switching. I'm simply explaining why iOS 8 grinds my gears. I give iOS 8 more of a pass on my iPad Air since I don't use it for the same activities as my phone.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I'm loving my 6+. Unlike most phones of this size, the 6+ feels solid and sturdy in my hands. Battery life is significantly improved over my 5s, and both LTE and WiFi are faster. What I'm really enjoying is how much easier it is to read everything, I actually reduced the text size a bit from the default setting because it was so big. The phone is also lighter than I anticipated, so it doesn't feel like a big phone in your hand, even with a case on it. Now that I'm using the 6+, I don't think I could ever go back to the 5s.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
6+ from a 5.

I have been on the bigger screen bandwagon for a while. I left the apple ecosystem for an S4 because of the screen size, and if the iPhone 6 would have been just bigger phones, I was going to get the note 4. I would have gotten the edge if Samsung had better timing.

This larger screen is what I have wanted all along. I own a mini that I will get rid of because this phone does what I need it to. I can easily manage my schedule and todo items on a decent size screen. It feels a lot more realistic and professional. I think I would have been just as happy with the 6.

Great purchase.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Mine is backordered and probably still being manufactured in China and I already love it! :D

Question for owners: Notice an improvement in the display technology? I understand the 6 and 5s have the same pixel density, while the plus has more, but do the images pop out more with both iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus compared to the previous generation?

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
... While the phone feels, looks, and performs fantastic, I'm disappointed with iOS 8....

I sort of agree with you. I currently have the iPhone 5 as a back up when traveling and an Xperia z1S (the T-mobile version) as a daily driver. Just ordered the iPhone 6 Plus.

iOS has multitasking now and iOS8 introduced system-wide third-party keyboards, which was the biggest issue that still bugged me on iOS. I don't much like widgets, other than the weather one I keep on my home screen. I also wish that Apple would permit third-party launchers, so that those who are bored, or do not like the grid arrangement of iOS, can chose something else (my current favorite on the Android side is Launcher 8 Pro).

Anyway, I am excited about the iPhone 6 Plus, mostly about the camera, which promises to be the best of any non-Nokia mobile out there (and without the lag of Nokia's best camera).

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
I had the 6+ and swapped to a 6. The Plus did not slide in and out of the pocket easily and was very hard to operate with one hand.

However, with experience on both, this is the best phone experience ever.

I came from a 5. Never went in for the incremental. Had 3g then 4, then 5 and now 6.

Can't wait for the 7 :D:D

my exact trajectory :D

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Finally a positive thread

love the 6+ - overwhelmed at first but within 3 days of use i'm absolutely delighted with it.

No complaints on the hardware, a few software bugs but finally an iPhone (smartphone) with a screen to bring the smartphone features to life.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Upgraded from 5s to 6 and I am delighted. Beautiful screen alone was worth the update. Very happy.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I sort of agree with you. I currently have the iPhone 5 as a back up when traveling and an Xperia z1S (the T-mobile version) as a daily driver. Just ordered the iPhone 6 Plus.

iOS has multitasking now and iOS8 introduced system-wide third-party keyboards, which was the biggest issue that still bugged me on iOS. I don't much like widgets, other than the weather one I keep on my home screen. I also wish that Apple would permit third-party launchers, so that those who are bored, or do not like the grid arrangement of iOS, can chose something else (my current favorite on the Android side is Launcher 8 Pro).

Anyway, I am excited about the iPhone 6 Plus, mostly about the camera, which promises to be the best of any non-Nokia mobile out there (and without the lag of Nokia's best camera).

I agree, launchers would be a good idea.

The 6 Plus camera is the best I've used of all smartphones I've owned- haven't used any Nokia cameras, but this is better than most point and shoots that I've used. Not DSLR level by any means but since the best camera is the one you have on you - I'm extremely pleased with the camera performance.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Loving my six plus. I've been wanting an iOS device this size for years. I just finished doing an initial battery cycle on it. The phone lasted a solid day and a half under heavy use. Awesome. Exactly what I was hoping for. No complaints whatsoever.

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Very happy with the 64GB 6 I got except Wish I got the 128GB due to lack of space for my photos hopefully iCloud Photo Library will fix this when it launches properly other wise very happy customer with the bigger screen better for web browsing and messaging

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
6 4.7 inch here - 64GB.

Loving it. Honestly, best iPhone I've had yet. I came from an original 5, previous to that a 4, 3G etc. The screen size is perfect for me, and I'm loving the touch sensor thing. Really, really, happy with this purchase.

flynnst0ne

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
Had a 6+ on order but cancelled and went with the 6 after seeing the + in person.

+ is an appealing device, however I personally feel it looks a bit obnoxious when up against my head on a call.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Had a 6+ on order but cancelled and went with the 6 after seeing the + in person.

+ is an appealing device, however I personally feel it looks a bit obnoxious when up against my head on a call.

It is big! Thank heavens I don't give a flip about how someone else thinks it fits me.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
After checking it out in the store I decided to upgrade from a 32GB 4s to a 64GB 6. After almost three years with the 4s I'm really liking the upgrade so far. It's a massive improvement. In particular, the speed, screen, external keyboards (great to have Swype again), and Touch ID have been fantastic. Touch ID is really great because it makes using the phone much faster. I need my work email/calendar on my phone and it has to be a complicated password that is changed every month. Needless to say it's annoying to unlock, so Touch ID has been great for getting into my phone more easily. Very happy so far with the 6 and hope it'll last me three years like the 4s did.

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
I'm very much enjoying my 6 Plus! I'm a huge fan of the size of the screen (though last year I swore up and down that something this size was too big), and the quality of pictures from the camera is great as well.

I'm also a big fan of the design of the phone, though I do have to admit that I put a case on it because it was feeling kinda slippery, and I'm paranoid like that. The cherry on top is the battery life. There were be times throughout the weekend that I'd feel like I should be charging it out of habit, but I made it from Friday evening to Saturday evening with plenty of juice left.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Even after two days I'm still kind of wishing the regular 6 was a 4.5" screen, but I'll survive.

Other than that it's a very nice phone. The best hand-feel iPhone since the 3GS.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
I upgraded from a 16 GB 4S to a 64 GB 6 and I love it. Perfect size. And I can finally have a lot of music on my phone without having to be choosy

Ditto that. Same upgrade path for me, and I am finding that my iPad2 is nearly useless for me now. Now, that may not last, but I haven't touched it since getting my new iPhone.

I just look at this iPhone and wonder what they are going to do next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.