Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Apparently it's not meant to be free, it's a glitch on Apple's end. Grab it while you can - it's not been updated for iOS 8 and the new APIs/TouchID yet, but if you grab it now, you'll get the update free too!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
This was actually posted here in MR yesterday night, I grabbed it then.
They removed the post completely from the site, it even had updates, IDK why though. Prob by request of 1password so that not everyone grabs the mistake freebie which makes sense because they did work hard for it.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
This was actually posted here in MR yesterday night, I grabbed it then.
They removed the post completely from the site, it even had updates, IDK why though. Prob by request of 1password so that not everyone grabs the mistake freebie which makes sense because they did work hard for it.

I'm not sure why it was removed, whether we asked for the removal or not, it's not really my decision or really in my job description so I just roll with it :)

That said though, I do appreciate seeing positive comments and really loved reading that you know we worked hard on the app. It means a lot and I thank you for seeing that :)

Cheers!

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Sadly it requires iOS 8 and I'm not updating so quickly.

Yea, being able to support TouchID, Safari Extensions, App Extensions, and other fun goodies like CloudKit did require we focus on iOS 8. To be honest, I've been running iOS 8 on my main phone since the GM and it's more or less stable, there are a few bugs that aren't so fun but overall, pretty happy. The new keyboard options are super though!

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I've been watching this app for ages waiting on a sale. So when I saw it free, I grabbed it. I didn't realize I was getting the pre-iOS 8 version and would get the Pro features for free as well. Oh well, I'll eventually get it for my Mac as well and will certainly be paying for that one. Unless I decide to stick with eWallet. Time will tell. Until I get a device with TouchID, I don't see that it makes a tremendous difference. But I do like what I've seen so far.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I've been watching this app for ages waiting on a sale. So when I saw it free, I grabbed it. I didn't realize I was getting the pre-iOS 8 version and would get the Pro features for free as well. Oh well, I'll eventually get it for my Mac as well and will certainly be paying for that one. Unless I decide to stick with eWallet. Time will tell. Until I get a device with TouchID, I don't see that it makes a tremendous difference. But I do like what I've seen so far.

I have tried several password managers over the years. And in my opinion, 1Password is king of them all in every area. The usability 1Password 5 for iOS 8 is what makes using a password manager seamless, in my mind and experience. It is a pleasure using the app, instead of feeling like I am tied to it with cutting and pasting.

I look forward to using 1Password 5 in Yosemite.

I say all that to say, give the Mac version a shot. I think you will be just as pleased.

The other thing that caused me to spend the big bucks on the program versions, was the accessibility of the company on this site and elsewhere. If I do have a problem moving forward, I know I can get answers. That means a lot to me.

Last edited:

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Yea, being able to support TouchID, Safari Extensions, App Extensions, and other fun goodies like CloudKit did require we focus on iOS 8. To be honest, I've been running iOS 8 on my main phone since the GM and it's more or less stable, there are a few bugs that aren't so fun but overall, pretty happy. The new keyboard options are super though!

Not sure I would want to put this on my iPhone 5 and not looking to upgrade to the iPhone 6 Plus. Still waiting for the dust to settle, see what issues other iPhone 5 (not 5S) users are suffering and then will decide.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

Give it a shot and see how it goes. The Mac version has a 30 day trial, http://www.agilebits.com/downloads

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have along the way as well.

I have tried several password managers over the years. And in my opinion, 1Password is king of them all in every area. The usability 1Password 5 for iOS 8 is what makes using a password manager seamless, in my mind and experience. It is a pleasure using the app, instead of feeling like I am tied to it with cutting and pasting.

I look forward to using 1Password 5 in Yosemite.

I say all that to say, give the Mac version a shot. I think you will be just as pleased.

The other thing that caused me to spend the big bucks on the program versions, was the accessibility of the company of this site and elsewhere. If I do have a problem moving forward, I know I can get answers. That means a lot to me.

Thanks for the kind words. We try very hard to make sure we help our users as best we can. It's almost always best to contact us directly but we do try to keep our eyes peeled for trouble on sites like MacRumors because we realize not everyone understands we offer support. Seems that is generally pretty rare these days. :)

Not sure I would want to put this on my iPhone 5 and not looking to upgrade to the iPhone 6 Plus. Still waiting for the dust to settle, see what issues other iPhone 5 (not 5S) users are suffering and then will decide.

I had iOS 8 on my iPhone 5, it worked just as well as iOS 7 to be completely honest. I'm happy to be rid of my iPhone 5 because the battery was not keeping up with my usage the last ~6 months or so. But, no issues with iOS 8 on my iPhone 5. I waited until the GM release to install it on my primary phone though, I did not run any of the betas.

Soultosoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
I just got an iphone6 and after reading many reviews here, this was the first app I downloaded. Couldn't be happier with it. My debit card number was recently stolen/hacked, again..... I think it was the Home Depot issue as I went there multiple times this summer getting my house ready to sell.

Anyway, with 1password , touch ID, and keychain, and how they work together, I feel comfy and secure �� A lot of the super-techy stuff is beyond me, so I guess it's possible soemone could still steal my CC, etc, but they're gonna have to work for it!

I'm going to download the mac version for my mini.

Edit: forgot to mention I didn't get the free version. I purchased the pro (?) version, but way worth $10 for the peace of mind IMO.

Last edited:

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Why aren't you offering a legacy version without support? Stop the excuses.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I just got an iphone6 and after reading many reviews here, this was the first app I downloaded. Couldn't be happier with it. My debit card number was recently stolen/hacked, again..... I think it was the Home Depot issue as I went there multiple times this summer getting my house ready to sell.

Anyway, with 1password , touch ID, and keychain, and how they work together, I feel comfy and secure �� A lot of the super-techy stuff is beyond me, so I guess it's possible soemone could still steal my CC, etc, but they're gonna have to work for it!

I'm going to download the mac version for my mini.

Edit: forgot to mention I didn't get the free version. I purchased the pro (?) version, but way worth $10 for the peace of mind IMO.

Thanks for the awesome words :)

We hope you enjoy the app and if you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to let us know!

Why aren't you offering a legacy version without support? Stop the excuses.

I'm not sure I follow.

I may not be understanding so correct me if I'm wrong here but I'll take a stab at this.

We would've had two options to do what you wish:

1) We could've released version 5 as a new app

2) We could've released version 4 as a new app for free

#1 won't work because if we did that then existing users would not have been able to get Pro features for free. Given the backlash from users for making version 4 a paid upgrade I don't think this would've been an acceptable way to go about it, and I'm sure others on this forum would argue that point as well.

#2 won't work because of two major reasons:

The first is that we don't believe in "without support." If you make something you should support it. We do that within reason and eventually applications reach an end of life.

The second (and this applies to #1 above as well) is that having more options on the App Store for your application can cause a great deal of confusion. We used to offer two (technically 3) applications and we frequently had a very large number of questions about which one they should get. By going down to a single application we removed that question completely from our support queue so we could focus on users who had real legitimate problems. "Which app do I buy" is a legitimate question, but it's also one that we can control out of the equation completely.

Edit: There's a third reason I guess as well. If we did this then version 4 would've given previous users the ability to have all of the Pro features for free, rendering no income for us, this would be fine I suppose on its own, but nothing prevents iOS 8 users from running the iOS 7 version (the free version unsupported version by your metric) as well. We can't keep updating the application to improve it if we don't have income to support our families.

That said, I am sorry but we don't currently sell a version of 1Password for iOS 7 or earlier. We likely won't going forward either. Users who purchased version 4, which is compatible with iOS 7 can still download it on iOS 7 devices because Apple has a mechanism to do so, but new users will need to be running iOS 8 or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.