Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclueless.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
MA
First off, excuse my ignorance! I am going to sell PowerPC 7100/66 and 8100/100 and was told to wipe the computers beforehand by reinstalling the OS. They run 8.1 and 9.0, respectively. Unfortunately, I don’t have the software and I’m now at the mercy of Ebay. At the moment, later versions of the operating systems are available. Is it necessary or desirable to buyers that I install the original OS that was on the computer or can I use another version? In other words, does the computer’s OS affect the appeal of that specific PowerPC model? If possible, I would like to purchase just one OS and install it on both computers. Also, does reinstalling a different version of the OS affect the efficacy of deleting personal data (sole intention)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

robertdsc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
Bearing in mind that I've never re-installed anything older than 9.2.2, I would say that if you were to find the highest available OS for that particular Mac, then use that. I don't think there's a need to install the original OS, whatever it may be.

If I were to sell my extra MDDs, I would put Leopard on each, since that's the highest that they could run. I certainly wouldn't go back to Jaguar/Panther or whatever the MDD first came with.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Both of those will run 9.1(although not 9.2), and I know that my 7100/66 does great with 9.1.

I'd probably find a 9.0 retail disk and install on both. If a buyer has a compelling reason for something earlier, they will likely have their own disk to do that.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If you wanted to be totally legal about it, you would be installing the original OS that came with the machine. In that case, the 7100 would run 7.1 and the 8100 would be running 7.5. The good news is you can download and make your own 7.5.3 floppy disks. They are free from Apple. I would probably just make a set and install it on both machines just to give the new owner something to work with. If they want to upgrade, then let them on their own dime. Ideally, I think both machines would run best with OS 8.1 or 8.6. I had 8.6 running pretty well on my 7100 years ago.

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#system

Maclueless.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
MA
I searched for how to do a reinstall online and there were only instructions for OS X. Does anyone know where I could find step by step instructions for older operating systems? I popped in the first OS 7 disc for the Mac II last night but had no idea what I should select so I stopped. I have no prior experience installing operating systems so I apologize for my lack of basic knowledge. Is it a 2 step process where I trash the hard drive and then install the software or, just by reinstalling the software, it erases the existing hard drive?

Hrududu- The link you posted has a lot of free updates but not the original OS (i.e. OS 8). Is it possible to do a reinstall that will wipe my existing hard drive with an update? Can installing 8.6 on the computer currently running 9.0 wipe my existing hard drive?

bunnspecial- Is OS 9 for G4 Power Macs compatible with PowerPCs?

Thanks again!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If I wanted to do what you're doing, here's how I would go about it.

First, I would boot off the install disk. Assuming you have a CD-ROM, this is done by putting the disk in the drive and then holding down "C" while the computer boots.

This will give you a working OS 9(or whatever OS version you're using) desktop. Open the CD in finder(double click on the icon on the desktop), the find the "Applications" folder, then the Utilities folder. In the utilities folder, there is a program(whose name I forget) that is the equivalent of Disk Utility on OS X. Open this program, select the hard drive, and click "initialize." This will erase the hard drive.

You can then run the installer on the OS 9 install disk.

As far as I know, a Powermac G4 OS 9 install disk(gray disk) will not work. These generally will only work on the system that is so indicated on the label. That aside, depending on which Powermac G4 the disk is from, it may have 9.2 or 9.2.2, neither of which will run on your systems.

Maclueless.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
MA
I think I have a handle on how to do a clean install thanks to the links and the step-by-step instructions all of you have provided :)

Last night I tried to erase the hard drive on the Mac II by inserting the disc before starting it up and this is what came up (Orion is my hard drive). I'm guessing I have to erase the hard drive beforehand because you cannot boot off an install floppy disc...is that correct? If so, how would I go about erasing the hard drive?

Also, after erasing the existing hard drive, can I do a clean install using an updated version (e.g. 8.6 instead of 8.0)? I thought updated versions were improvements on the original OS, and therefore doesn't install the entire operating system again. If I purchased a retail CD online, would I be able to boot off it as per bunnspecial's instructions if it is a different OS other than what is currently running on the computer? (i.e. Could I use 8.0 if PowerPC 8100/100 is running 9.0?)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 78

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
From your picture it would appear that you are attempting to upgrade the version on the hard drive instead of carrying out a completely fresh installation.

Boot off the disks as per the instructions linked to and erase (or better still repartition) the target drive Orion before selecting your installation type. Because your drive is wiped clean, the installation routine should automatically select a fresh installation.

As for your discs, MacOS was sold as complete universal installers, upgrade installers or machine specific installers. Your discs should tell you which you have. As with Windows, you cannot use an upgrade installer to carry out a full installation from scratch. You can usually only use machine specific releases on the computers they were sold with.

You can use any full version installer subject to two limitations. The version must not be earlier than that which came with your machine. The website Everymac.com will tell you exactly which version of MacOS came with your specific machine. The other limitation is that your machine's hardware will only support a number of versions - typically limited by the architecture of the CPU. For example, the Powerbook I am typing on was released with MacOS 9.0.4. I cannot install any version of MacOS earlier than that on it. It will also, by virtue of its G3 cpu, not boot any version of OSX later than 10.4.11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.