Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Yeah the first thing I thought with this is how many people got the 6 because the 6 Plus is sold out? Will definitely skew the numbers here until the inventory catches up.

You're right it will skew it, but I don't think that much. 6 is still going to be more popular by a large amount I think. At least 5:1 I think.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Some of this is supply constraints. But if we look at this again in a few months, the 6 will still be the more popular. It has broader appeal. I heard a lot of tech journalists say that most people will probably want the 6 plus, I don't believe that.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
The 6 Plus is just too much of a beast for everyday use. We did get one for development purposes tho.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm thinking supply is one cause but I don't think that can make up the entire disparity on the graph. I guess the IP6 is more popular then the IP6+, I would have guessed the other way.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Not surprising one bit.

The 6 is the mainstream device whereas the 6+ is catering for a niche market. Also, even forgetting those supply constraints on the 6+, the 6 is cheaper and therefore more affordable.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
It's useless to report this because the 6 plus is sold out in all but a few Apple stores. But then again I changed my mind on the 6 plus once I used both. 4.7" is the right size for a phone.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I'm planning on getting a plus, but have not ordered yet as I will wait until shipping dates go down, or I can walk in and out of a store with one in hand.
I'm sure the 6 will outsell the plus, but my guess is it's going to be more like 3 to 1 when all is said and done. Most people interested in a plus have heard the news of its constraints and know there is no need to rush to the store and instead wait a few weeks.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
You're right it will skew it, but I don't think that much. 6 is still going to be more popular by a large amount I think. At least 5:1 I think.

It's possible. I don't think we'll ever know with full accuracy, at least this time around. The problem is when you launch with two models, and one in very short supply, you get a large amount of customers who go in excited to upgrade their phone. Maybe they wanted a 6 Plus, but it's sold out. The majority of people aren't going to just turn around, and go wait a month or more. They will just take the 6. A return/exchange is seen by many as a hassle, so unless someone is majorly unhappy, they're likely to just stick with what they got.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
The phones have to be in use to show up in these figures.
All the 6+'s are still on their way to China from the lines at the Apple Stores.
Maybe.

Yes, I know supply is the likely cause for the low numbers.

Last edited:

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Not surprising. Even the 6 is a little unwieldy for most people. Even with reachability, the extra .7" doesn't justify the difficulty of using it with one hand for me. I hope they bring back the 4" next year so we have 3 options to choose from though that's highly unlikely.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
It will be interesting to see how it lands once supply evens out. I stood in line for a 6 + had it for a a day loved the screen, but realized the phone is really to big for me. It really doesn't fit my lifestyle. Switched to a 6 this phone is perfect.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
...but early adoption rate metrics (via Mashable), suggest more customers are choosing the smaller iPhone 6 over its bigger counterpart...
No, that's not what it suggests. Think a little bit here.

...How much of the difference is due to customer preference versus constrained supplies of the larger model is unknown, however.

Better, but still not quite right.

We know the 6+ adoption is contained by supply (due to long shipping delays), we just aren't sure by how much.

----------

I'm thinking supply is one cause but I don't think that can make up the entire disparity on the graph. I guess the IP6 is more popular then the IP6+, I would have guessed the other way.

It looks like both models are constrained by supply.

So the graph is showing us how many 6's vs. 6+'s Apple produced.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Supply and demand? You could walk into pretty much any store and get a 6 as late as yesterday, the last time I checked. I got the last 128 GB 6 Plus at the local Verizon store on Friday and I lined up at 5 am and was 5th in line. With the supply constraints, I would be willing to bet that there were people who needed a phone right away so they settled for the 6 even though they actually wanted the 6 Plus.

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Not surprising one bit.

The 6 is the mainstream device whereas the 6+ is catering for a niche market. Also, even forgetting those supply constraints on the 6+, the 6 is cheaper and therefore more affordable.

The 5c was cheaper and therefore more affordable but nobody bought it, not sure price has much to do with it.

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
So the graph is showing us how many 6's vs. 6+'s Apple produced.

Exactly. It is simply showing us how many iphones apple produced.

To have a fair test you would need to throw out all data up until the point that both models are widely available. Only then could you get a fair comparison of demand.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Tried to tell users here that the 6 would far exceed the 6+ in sales to average users. The macrumors population is more tech oriented and closer to 50/50. Most end users prefer 4.7" over the phablet size. Similar to who the Galaxy S series always outsells the Note line.

bmelson0412

Suspended
May 30, 2014
It's because , most people who ordered the iphone 6 plus, don't have them yet!!! Duh! They are still on back order until at least next week.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Gee, I wonder why.

Says the guy who ordered his phone 40 minutes after going live due to server issues on AT&T/Apple's end and has to wait 2-4 weeks for a phone.

Let's look at these numbers again once pre-orders are filled.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
And the iPhone users should never have to be "used" to them. The device fits into our life. That's now it should be. Forcing us to "get used" to a device is doing it backwards.

I actually don't view it that way. There and millions/billions of unique unsocial customers and only 2-4 models of devices to feasibly produce. It is impossible for Apple to make a device that fits everyone so some "human adaptation" is necessary. I do think, however, Apple made a mistake by not updating the 4" variant since the iPhone was so successful at 4" there is no reason to believe a new 4" device won't be successful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.