Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
New phone...and again no more desktop charger! Seems Apple does this every other model...the 5/5S had one (which I loved using)...but the 4 didn't I believe, and I think the 3 before it did? I'm so used to sitting at my desk and putting the phone in the charger and not fumbling with the wire.

----------

They released a dock for the 4, but not the 5. They did release one when the 5S came out. So far, nothing for the 6 or 6 Plus, which is a bit surprising. You'd figure Apple would sell a good number of docks for the larger phones.

And I have the dock you linked, and it works with the iPhone 6, minus any case you have on it.

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
I share your frustration - I love the docks. I've never used a third party one, but I will look for one this time. Especially because I want one that works with a case (apples only ever work with slider cases where you can remove the bottom)

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Docks are dead. The phone is meant to be held and picked up frequently. Interacting with it on a dock is cumbersome.

If you want to have it plugged in while on display at your desk, get this:

f8e51d80057c6b0c7654db5ba4f72a29.jpg

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
From that Everdock page:

The EverDock comes with a micro-USB cable. The EverDock is compatible with Apple's Lightning and 30-pin cables (not included).

Really!? So it's just a stand and you supply your own cable? And it's $50!? Lol ya right, what a ripoff!

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
My favorite dock ever (which works amazingly for any Lightning iPhones or the iPad Mini/Air) is the Twelve South Hi Rise. Great looking solid aluminum construction, and adjusts quite a bit so you can size it to fit whatever case you are using or none at all. After getting my first one I've bought two more.

EDIT: It's $34.99, and you have to supply your own Lightning cable.

wtrswoopes

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011

OP, I purchased that Belkin Charger for my iPhone 5c and there is an issue I ran into that the Amazon pictures do not show. The base where your phone rests is not flat. So if you have a case that doesn't have an open bottom, you may run into issues. I'm using a soft plastic case so I was able to cut away parts of the case from around the lightning port to make it fit, but still rather disappointing.

3.jpg

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
From that Everdock page:

The EverDock comes with a micro-USB cable. The EverDock is compatible with Apple's Lightning and 30-pin cables (not included).

Really!? So it's just a stand and you supply your own cable? And it's $50!? Lol ya right, what a ripoff!

It's machined aluminum. It's heavy, sturdy, solid and extremely well made. Go ahead and get a cheaper one that comes with a 3rd party lightning cable that may or may not start your phone on fire.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Saw that EverDock also has a dock for cup holders, would love one of these in my car as the one I retrofitted for my 5S no longer fits plus had no rear support which isn't the best idea. :(

dash-and-go2.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Amazing that these companies can get away with highway robbery with the ridiculous prices for docks. Many cost more than $70 and don't even provide a cable. The ones that cost $40 to $50 are cheap plastic. What a racket for nothing more than a iphone stand where you provide your own cable.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Saw that EverDock also has a dock for cup holders, would love one of these in my car as the one I retrofitted for my 5S no longer fits plus had no rear support which isn't the best idea. :(

Oh my god, I absolutely need that. I hate having a weird wire in my car for my phone.

Bet they won't have it fit the good ol Yaris though :(

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Buy the twelve south hi rise, it's great because it works with any Apple device that has a lightning connector including both new iPhones and all iPads. You won't regret it, I bought 4 to put around the house,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.