Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Was an AT&T customer for years, back when it was Cingular. I left after they throttled my unlimited data plan from Oct '11 - Feb '12 (never went over 2GB's a mo). Now on a VZW family share plan but not been happy (travel overseas a lot, AT&T has a better international program/rates and other issues).

I'm considering switching, but am torn.

VZW:
Pro's: VoLTE
Better LTE coverage

Con's: Horrible International Rates/Plans
VoLTE speeds seem to be slower than 3G for many (still early though)
Terrible Customer Service
Tons of "extra's" popping up

AT&T:
Pro's: GSM Voice+Data - 4G, not LTE, but seems faster than VZW's VoLTE
Best International Plans
Con's: Abysmal LTE coverage

I've found both carriers to be fairly equal with dropped calls, my concerns are international rates, VoLTE on VZW, AT&T's LTE commitment.

Thoughts?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
If you travel alot, then you should know about prepaid sims in other countries. Why not go that route?

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
How's T-Mobile in your area? If it's good, go for that. I'm on a family plan paying $16 a person for unlimited minutes, text, and data (LTE speed only up to 1GB, but unlimited LTE is only $30 more). Have to buy phones at full price but the monthly cost is so low that it's more than worth it.

As for international plans, T-Mobile simply gives you unlimited international 3G data for free in 100+ countries. Just went to Europe with T-Mobile and it just plain worked the whole time. No overages when I got back. It was wonderful.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
If you travel alot, then you should know about prepaid sims in other countries. Why not go that route?

I do, but as a work phone it's cumbersome to have multiple numbers based on country. I travel to Germany, Amsterdam, the U.K. and South Africa quite a bit for work. That means juggling numerous numbers that my clients must have (T-Mobile for Germany, O2 for the UK, etc). Maintaining my U.S. number is much simpler and cheaper through AT&T. Otherwise, I could get another phone and use that overseas.

Verizon and AT&T have equal service at home, work, just about anywhere. We have 5S devices worth $305 for trade-in, so I may pay full price for off-contracts 6's. I read that VZW iPhone's are unlocked out of the box, I thought it required ~45 days good standing before unlocking. What's the truth to that?

Also read VoLTE on VZW data speeds are very slow, but that could be based on rollout and will improve with time.

How's T-Mobile in your area? If it's good, go for that. I'm on a family plan paying $16 a person for unlimited minutes, text, and data (LTE speed only up to 1GB, but unlimited LTE is only $30 more). Have to buy phones at full price but the monthly cost is so low that it's more than worth it.

As for international plans, T-Mobile simply gives you unlimited international 3G data for free in 100+ countries. Just went to Europe with T-Mobile and it just plain worked the whole time. No overages when I got back. It was wonderful.

No idea about their coverage where I live, but I do know after the AT&T merger fell through, they've invested a lot of money to improve their infrastructure over the next 1-2 years. As the only other GSM carrier in the State's, I've been tempted but dismissed it since many seem to have very different experiences with their service.

One last question I think I know the ans to already: Can an unlocked VZW iPhone be used on another carrier? The hardware is exactly the same (GSM/CDMA/LTE/etc), which means this would be carrier policy?

And thanks everyone, I'm doing this today so forgive my long posts and questions! :) Greatly appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.