Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rlong405

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Uk
I didn't use a passcode at all on iPhone5 and now with touchID I still find it easier to unlock as I don't even need to swipe. I just need to click the button and hold finger on the button and it unlocks. Brilliant.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
What I find annoying with the Touch ID/Passcode is that if you try and delete an email from the lockscreen, it then brings up the keypad for your passcode, and then goes back to the lockscreen...makes the whole process a lot more cumbersome. It just just have something that shakes the screen a little to remind you that it needs the Touch ID, would be a lot smoother experience.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I came from the 5 an Touch ID was a major reason for the upgrade. Not only is it convenient, but now we can reasonably use a non-simple passcode for added security. I'd never consider this before, but now, it is very rare to need a passcode, so I made it very complex.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I also made the jump from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 and LOVE the TouchID Sensor. Just to unlock the phone is awesome, but the 1Password App is amazing to use with it as well. I still think they need an update to for the Safari Extension, because it still takes me to 1Password and I have to enter my physical password, which makes no sense to me, or do I have it set up wrong?

If anyone can help me with that, I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

:apple:

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
can somebody please explain to me how the touch id works on amazon app? I'm signed in messed around and never does it ask for finger print. i even logged out tried to log in and it never asks for it

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I also think it's great coming from a 4S, has worked flawlessly every single time I've used it. Only problem is remembering to use it and not swiping for passcode, but I'm getting there.

What I find annoying with the Touch ID/Passcode is that if you try and delete an email from the lockscreen, it then brings up the keypad for your passcode, and then goes back to the lockscreen...makes the whole process a lot more cumbersome. It just just have something that shakes the screen a little to remind you that it needs the Touch ID, would be a lot smoother experience.
What I learned yesterday is that when you're prompted to enter a passcode because you "swiped to unlock"ed or swiped a notification on the homescreen, you can still use the touch ID instead of entering your passcode.

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I'm in the same boat. Coming from the 5, I was excited for Touch ID, and it hasn't disappointed. I never used pass codes, but this makes it even easier to unlock the phone, and it's more secure.

With the addition of Apple Pay, I'm even more excited to use it.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm loving it too, works exactly as advertised and it's only missed mine once due to a bad finger placement.

rhomsy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
I also made the jump from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 and LOVE the TouchID Sensor. Just to unlock the phone is awesome, but the 1Password App is amazing to use with it as well. I still think they need an update to for the Safari Extension, because it still takes me to 1Password and I have to enter my physical password, which makes no sense to me, or do I have it set up wrong?

If anyone can help me with that, I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Yes, you have it setup wrong :) Actually, it's not wrong. It just depends on the security that you'd like. In preferences, under security, I set my require password after 30 days. Then under the touch id section, make sure it's switched on, and I request fingerprint after 2 minutes. In theory, it should only make you enter your master password every month, and use touchID the remainder of the time. However, I think there's a bug since occasionally it makes me still enter my master password. Weird.

Good luck.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Yes, you have it setup wrong :) Actually, it's not wrong. It just depends on the security that you'd like. In preferences, under security, I set my require password after 30 days. Then under the touch id section, make sure it's switched on, and I request fingerprint after 2 minutes. In theory, it should only make you enter your master password every month, and use touchID the remainder of the time. However, I think there's a bug since occasionally it makes me still enter my master password. Weird.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for helping me getting this setup right. I think the reason you sometimes have to enter your password before 30 days, is if you restart your phone. Also, 1Password Safari Extension seems to have some bugs, but maybe I do not have that setup right? I am usually very good at this but after all, these are "New Features," so there is a learning curve.

Once again Thank You!

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
yeah. I'm also coming from a 5, and this is to me by far the most useful feature apple has ever added to the iPhone.

----------

iPhones have always had cheap-feeling volume and mute buttons but now the home button is cheap too. I hate firm, clicky buttons. They don't feel satisfying to press or 'premium' in my opinion. The iPhone 4 and 4S were the last to have 'nice' home buttons IMO.

woah. thats completely the opposite of what i prefer... if a home button isn't clicky, it feels broken, and worn out to me. I love the clickyness of the 5 onward home buttons.

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
I didn't use a passcode at all on iPhone5 and now with touchID I still find it easier to unlock as I don't even need to swipe. I just need to click the button and hold finger on the button and it unlocks. Brilliant.

Coming from a 5 too. Figured that out this morning. Extremely useful!

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
My sister likes hers, a 6+ she doesn't mind the size.

I called and warned her about how fragile it is, but she'd already seen it on Twitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.