Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I thought iPads were ridiculously stupid at first and just a fad and just a big iPhone and a laptop is way better.

But then I saw an iPad being used in a Levi's store in JCPenny. It was an app to help you pick jeans and I just thought that was totally cool like very futuristic.

Then I started seeing huge phones and liking the screen size but not for a phone so I got an iPad mini. I'm not sure if that counts as having a full fledged iPad or not but I love it.

The little things I like are things like a much more coherent os and apps just install and no worries about program files and autocorrect.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Originally, I didn't see the point of the iPad. Unlike an iPhone, it looked to be too large to carry around comfortably; unlike a tablet, it was missing a keyboard, larger screen, and multi-windowed OS for serious work. It seemed to me to combine the worst of both worlds.

Two things won me over. I began collecting pdf documents I wanted to read. It felt awkward trying to read them on a laptop, sitting at a desk, using the mouse to scroll. I began printing them out and putting them in three ring binders, but that was a chore, and the binders were clumsy to carry around. I tried using an e-ink kindle, but it didn't work well for pdf documents.

The second thing that changed my mind was the form factor of the iPad mini. When I saw it, I was floored. It was so slim and sleek. It fit comfortably into a suit jacket pocket, making it for me effectively nearly as portable as a phone. Yet with its 7.9 inch screen and 4:3 form factor, it was just large enough (for me) to comfortably read a pdf document in landscape mode. It was just perfect. I was able to dump my three ring binders and carry around all my documents in my suit jacket pocket.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I was very interested in the functionality of an iPad, for work (reading technical pdfs, keeping research notes in electronic form, spreadsheets, etc.), and for play (watching videos from many sources, keeping/editing photos & video). But I was not at all interested in the original size, so it was the mini form factor that finally won me over. TBH, the lower price of the first mini had some effect as well (the differential now is not as large) -- I guess it made it a no-brainer.

Coug-it

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
For me it was the original iPad with WiFi/3G and the offer of the unlimited-
contract-free-buy-as-you go $29.99/month data plan with AT&T.
Unfortunately, I kept using the WiFi and never activated the 3G before AT&T
pulled the plug on the plan, so I considered it pretty much $100 down the drain.
I had purchased the 3G instead of the WiFi model mainly because none of my
relatives that I visited often had wireless internet access at the time.

Not sure this really counts as a "won you over" but they sure hooked me with
it at the time.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The fact that it was (and is) a 90% laptop replacement device with superior portability and amazing battery life.

Mr.Skynet

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
I went through many iPads. I had an iPad 2 32gb for a few months when it came out, I decided it wasn't for me. Then a year or two later I got a good deal on an iPad 3 16gb. The limited space had me selling it after a few months and decided the iPad wasn't for me. However when OS X Yosemite and Continuity were introduced I went out and bought an iPad Air 128gb with Cellular and honestly I won't sell it. Cellular > Wifi by far and now I can answer my phone calls / SMS. iPhone is always in a dock at home now.

TL-DR: Went through many iPads until Cellular and continuity sold me. :cool:

michikade

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in Texas
What won you over [to wanting an iPad]?

My kindle (original edition) quit and I wanted something for my books and something easy to take them to things with. Decided I wanted a tablet rather than another e-reader, so at first I got a cheap Android one but it got frustrating around Honeycomb so I found a really good deal on an iPad 2 a couple years ago (August 2012). I hadn't had a good tablet experience with a device that "just works" before then - It's been awesome ever since and it was my first Apple device, too - two years later I'm waiting for my second iphone to show up and I have a MBP, although I honestly use my iPad more than my MBP for casual surfing / tapatalk / social media / etc and use my MBP mainly for school.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I was also in the camp of "iPads are pointless/useless/stupid." I didn't think I needed one considering I had a perfectly good laptop.

Then my basement flooded after a move and I lost most of my books. I could have just as easily lost 35 years of photos. So I decided to get one to be me my e-reader & photo album.

I got the iPad 3, which I still have, and use it for so much more now.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
My first ipad was the iPad 2. Back in those days we had a crappy, POS desktop and a decent laptop. The desktop needed to be replaced since the kids were entering school and I could never get on the laptop. So, the choice for us became - new PC (laptop or desktop) or get an iPad. I picked the iPad since it does everything we needed a 2nd computer to do. Then, once my wife saw what iPads can do she got one. We now own an iPad 2 (kitchen TV and some other minor things for the kids), 2 ipad 4s (our main devices, love them even on ios8), and a retina iPad mini (daughter and I share this device, she brings it to school and I use it in bed and when out).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I thought iPads were ridiculously stupid at first and just a fad and just a big iPhone and a laptop is way better.

But then I saw an iPad being used in a Levi's store in JCPenny. It was an app to help you pick jeans and I just thought that was totally cool like very futuristic.

Then I started seeing huge phones and liking the screen size but not for a phone so I got an iPad mini. I'm not sure if that counts as having a full fledged iPad or not but I love it.

The little things I like are things like a much more coherent os and apps just install and no worries about program files and autocorrect.
Nothing won me over. I had been wanting an iPad before there was ever such a thing as an iPad.

I "made do" with netbooks but they were poor solutions for what I wanted... a small, light, interactive device that could be comfortably used in casual settings, instant on, reliable (no lock-ups, glitches), immediately responsive.

The iPad 1 was perfect (at that time). Since then I continue to use an iPad daily (64GB iPad 4), on occasion use a bluetooth keyboard cover, and would like just a few tweaks that would allow me to continue to use the platform for many more years.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I went into this with no brand loyalty or anything like that. This ipad was the best experience for a tablet and it wasn't even close.

As for the whole idea of a tablet, I was drawn to the super usability in various situations that a laptop just would work in. The battery life and smoothness of the ipad versus a clunky laptop was a no brainer. I still consider the iPad very portable and mine gets used all day long, everyday.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Got iPad Air just to experience the most celebrated tab reloading. I enjoy the random refreshing. Keeps me on the edge while browsing. Thrilling experience.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I got my first iPod touch, and said "I need this bigger!" Stood in line to buy the original iPad, and never looked back. I have an iMac, MacBook Air, and an iPhone, but the iPad is my most used device by far.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

You need an app to help you choose a pair of jeans? :eek:

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Got iPad Air just to experience the most celebrated tab reloading. I enjoy the random refreshing. Keeps me on the edge while browsing. Thrilling experience.

LOL Magical :p

I don't know what one me over, but my first iPad was the original one back in 2011, then i grabbed the 3 in 2012 before the iPad 4 came out. I still have both and they both work well. I don't do much intense stuff with the iPad 1 though, just a bit of basic gaming, (as i still love iOS5) and watching iTunes U.

I think the iPad is a great comfort on the way out, i have the 3g version and when i need to get to places, i use it as a gps and find out what restaurants or stuff i can check out. :(Not that Perth, Western Australia offers much value to a person, the only thing that was really exciting in this state was the poor guy who dropped his iPhone 6 at the launch day on Friday, haha).

With Office on the iPad, I can now do my business on the go (reports, HR documents etc etc) and whatever. :p

It's been a pretty handy tool to have, and now i don't really need to take my MacBook to work :p

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
My reason is pretty much the same with TS.

At first I saw iPad as an enlarged iPhone. I didn't see much use of and in fact I found it ridiculous.

Then I started seeing how apps are developed in iPad. They are not simply enlarged app but revolutionized app to make full use of iPad's bigger screen. There is still a number of apps that are simply iPhone app in steroid. I just hope these apps could be redeveloped for the benefit of iPad like mentioned in another thread.

Then I borrowed my friend's iPad Mini for a week and I just realized how good it is and how I miss it when I have to returned it back to him. It's very convenient to read books, easier to play games due to enlarged screen, I can use it as a notebook replacement. Basically there is a lot of new functionality to be explored with the bigger touchscreen display. Bigger screen is what makes it different from iPhone and touch function is what makes it different than normal laptop.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The iPhone.

That convinced me that with a proper, custom UI designed for small touchscreens, smartphones could be easy and painless to use. The only problem was the screen was still a bit too small for many tasks.. hence the iPad love.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The iPad Mini did it for me. Pocketable, yet still a really nice productive device. I had the 1st generation Kindle Fire, and I'm looking forward to snagging a 6" version, but it made a really crappy tablet in general. Can't complain about the freebies and price matching though.

Lachhh

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Mainland Europe
Another one here saying "the iPad Mini" (Retina)

I owned the second generation iPad and then the third gen one. Tried for ages to love the device but it usually ended up lying on my couch and being used as an occasional comic reader. The mini turned all that around for me. It's so comfortable and easy to hold with one hand that it's become my de-facto gaming device which I'm comfortable holding for hours on end, my sole reading device (news, books, comics and pretty much everything) and the thing I take everywhere with me and pull out when I have longer than twenty minutes to blow. Technically of course all this is possible on the larger version, I just never felt compelled to use a larger iPad to anywhere near its full potential due to the increased size and heft. The retina mini is a revelation and I use it heavily - couldn't imagine being without it.
I hope Apple continue the mini line for a long time, this is really the only way the iPad makes sense for me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Viz Manga app. They were running a limited time $1 sale on digital manga (normally $5/volume) and the app was an iPad exclusive at the time.

Well, at least that was the reason I ordered the iPad 2. I've actually been wanting a good slate/tablet for reading comics and technical PDFs since before the original iPad was even announced. I have a couple of Windows XP and Vista tablets and slates but they just sucked at being a tablet. That said, I had planned on waiting for a retina display (or at least 1280x800 resolution) before buying an Android or iOS-based tablet. The Viz Manga app sale accelerated my purchase. I never really used the iPad 2 for anything other than comic reading though. I just couldn't stand the iPad 2's pixelated display that I'd rather do my web browsing and text reading on my 3.5" iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4th gen or on the laptop. It took the retina iPad 3 for me to fully utilize my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.