Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
thanks for the great updates.

very interesting to watch develop.

any hint on when they are actually going in (directly or with cameras)?

cheers

they are literally excavating their way in. latest updates (02sep2014) can be found on the 3 posts above. there is no estimation published as of yet.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
pleasure!

--

So, I've worked today on some measurements, as a first step towards building this in 3D. Calculations are crudely made and explained on the below infographic.

simplified and corrected
[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3895/15117407735_b1a9078382_c.jpg]Image[/url]https://flic.kr/p/p2SECX https://www.flickr.com/people/107651264@N04/

Next step, will measure somehow the plinths right at the front (taking into account that it is closer to the sensor, so metric baton is useless for other areas of the photo on the z axis). In the mean time I'll try calculating from the top side, based on the published measurement of 4.5 meters of the entrance area's width. Feel free to throw in measurement suggestions.

Last night I rushed a 10 minute model on 3DS, just to get a quick pseudo-feel and some brain juice flowing.
This will be scrapped of course and re-started with better guesstimated measurements; like the such posted above, non-industry standard modelling and everything involved.

[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3860/15114744021_dfa8e8f683.jpg]Image[/url]https://flic.kr/p/p2D1NRhttps://www.flickr.com/people/107651264@N04/
[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3898/15094757676_29cd808747.jpg]Image[/url]https://flic.kr/p/oZSzyGhttps://www.flickr.com/people/107651264@N04/
YouTube: video

Whoever wants to take a look at the workfiles, (psd, ai, 3ds, obj) just send me a message with your email, so I can send you a googledrive folder invite. This will also include all the photos published to date in dimensions retrieved.

If you feel like participating, drop a line anywhere.

Blog is up.

fun fact : Stendhal Syndrome

Nice work! Thanks for all the updates.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

Attachments

• circa 550bc.jpg
    circa 550bc.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 92
  • greek-sphinx.jpg
    greek-sphinx.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
google translated press release

http://www.yppo.gr/2/g22.jsp?obj_id=58312
On Thursday, September 4, a large meeting in worksite hill castes, under the Secretary General of the Ministry of Culture and Sports Minister. Mendoni Lina, the interdisciplinary team, led by Mrs. Peristeri and the participation of officials of the Directorate ancient Monuments of the Ministry of Culture.
Done overall assessment of the measures taken to protect the monument, after the torrential rain of the previous 24 hours, and which was considered quite satisfactory. In parallel to shore up projects and supports the components inside the monument, to develop a safe way excavations.
On Friday, September 5, removed the dirt behind second septal wall, in order to balance the geostationary impulses of land between the two countries. With the removal of soil uncovered, at about 2 meters from the dome to 4.5 meters, about the floor, marble rectangular plate, length 4.2m, width 1m. 0.21m thick, in excellent condition. (photo 1) builds marginally poros stone of the third diaphragm wall and upper marble revetment, which carries ripple. (photo 2) At the bottom of the plate is painted decoration in blue, red and yellow color, which represented panels with rosette in the center. (photo 3.4). This section of the roof at the site.
In the same space that is created between the second and third septal wall showed a significant impairment of tholiton section, in both parts of the west, while the eastern portion of the dome. Antistirichthike crowned the dome, with the installation of wooden beams in contact with foam substrate and vertical prop. (photo 5).
Works at retaining and second diaphragm wall, which carries the architrave and cornice, with wooden frame and braced by steel tubular beams. Moreover, uncovered conditions bearing of the architrave. It was found that the vertical crack architrave extends the full height and is bright. The space in front of the architrave triangular metal frame placed alongside the south side. The architrave antistirichthike with four side supports which are mounted on a metal frame.
This Saturday, September 6, the removal of soil in front of the architrave, allowed serious enhancement of propping the broken portion with vertical tubular beams, a wooden touch.
With the removal of the sandy soil, the area in front of the second septal wall, discovered beneath the marble architrave, between, also marble pilasters, two excellent art caryatids, Thassian marble (photo 6) inherent pillar, section 0, 20CH0,60 m.
The western face of the Caryatid survives almost intact (photo 7.8), while the eastern missing. (Photo 9). The caryatids are rich curls that cover their shoulders, bearing ear, and wear sleeved tunic. The right hand of the one and the other was left protetammena so the move to symbolically prevent those who would attempt the entrance to the tomb and were inserts. Followed, namely, the same technique as the heads and the wings of the Sphinxes. The forms on which there are traces of red and blue refer to the type of Kore. Among the sandy soils found fragments of sculptures, such as palm portion and smaller fragments of their fingers. The provision of the second input with caryatids an important finding, which suggests the idea that this is a standing monument of particular importance.
In front of the caryatids, and from the waist down and reveals wall sealing of limestone across the width of 4.5m. (Photo 10, 11) This is the second sealing wall following the same technique as in front of the burial monument. It is a further feature of the efforts of manufacturers to prevent entry into the monument.

Attachments

• l_14843.jpg
    l_14843.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 92
  • l_14842.jpg
    l_14842.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 109
  • l_14841.jpg
    l_14841.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 116
  • l_14840.jpg
    l_14840.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 106
  • l_14839.jpg
    l_14839.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 104

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
more pics

Attachments

• l_14844.jpg
    l_14844.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 99
  • l_14845.jpg
    l_14845.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 109
  • l_14846.jpg
    l_14846.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 112
  • l_14847.jpg
    l_14847.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 104
  • l_14849.jpg
    l_14849.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 90

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
it's frustrating they don't share more infos about the progress.
clearly from some of the picture, the second room has already been excavated, and there was a large hole in the upper left wall to the third room (looters?) so they must be able to see something there.

EDIT: found pictures of the third chamber
Amphipolis_07a.jpg

apparently it is unstable and could collapse, so i think it might slow down the progress a little bit.
http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogs...hamber-at-amphipolis-deemed.html#.VBdaT0vB058

still the whole thing is quite exciting

Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
it's frustrating they don't share more infos about the progress.
clearly from some of the picture, the second room has already been excavated, and there was a large hole in the upper left wall to the third room (looters?) so they must be able to see something there.

EDIT: found pictures of the third chamber
apparently it is unstable and could collapse, so i think it might slow down the progress a little bit.
http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogs...hamber-at-amphipolis-deemed.html#.VBdaT0vB058

still the whole thing is quite exciting

thanks very much for maintaining the thread Don't Panic! Been rather preoccupied the past week with several things and haven't been able to do much for it. I will resume operations asap!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
you and me both!

in one of the original photos, there is a black & white baton which is used to define the scale of objects in a photo. what really eludes me, is the specifics of that object..

can any archaeologists, or specialty related to this object, in this forum enlighten us?

One of my majors in college was anthropology. It was years ago and I don't use the knowledge at all nowadays so I'm going to try my best to explain:
That is an archaeological meter scale. You document the scale of big objects in field photographs. You can use a North Arrow with it to accurately shows proportions when photographing objects. Also used in stratigraphic studies for depth and layers. You have at least two in a pic usually so you can see how tall and how wide things are, it helps for getting an idea of actual 3D size. The one in the pic is just a piece of one, looks like 40 cm? With every change in color you know how many cm have passed so it's easy to trough calculate, it's like a big ruler that you can read in what it was in the old times small photographs. There are other similar 2 color rulers for micro and normal size objects, other colors, etc, it's basically a visual non-numeric ruler.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
thanks very much for maintaining the thread Don't Panic! Been rather preoccupied the past week with several things and haven't been able to do much for it. I will resume operations asap!

no prob at all
i have been trying to follow this, but the limited amount of info is very frustrating.
i obviously get that it takes time to do things properly, and that everything has to done in a way as to preserve not only the artifacts, but also all the positional information of everything that is uncovered and moved. i just would like them to share more picture of how things are proceeding.

i really envy the archeologists on the field there right now, they must be unable to sleep in anticipation :)

btw, there is a website entirely dedicated to the amphiboles tomb
http://www.theamphipolistomb.com
and the more general archeology site linked to before, seems also quite well done
http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com

in latest news, there at least one scholar who thinks the tomb is not macedonian, but roman, and there are suggestion there there is likely at least one more chamber

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
no updates today.
they need to stabilize the 'last' chamber before continue digging, to avoid cave ins.

some articles refer to this chamber as the actual burial chamber, but i think this is highly unlikely.
it doesn't fit proportions. greek and macedonian architecture was all about proportions and symbolism, and so was egyptian one which greatly influenced Alexander.
it makes zero sense to have a 1500 ft long circular wall, for over 500 feet in diameter and have the actual tomb inside to be only about 40-50 feet long.

just from mere balance/proportion arguments, i would expect the actual burial chamber to be at the center of the monument, and likely circular.
if that is true, we can expect several more chambers of size similar to the ones discovered so far, or maybe a corridor or larger central chamber.
what is pretty obvious to me is that this is was a very expensive and highly planned monument, by one of the best architect of the time, so i doubt anything would be left to chance, including the precise size of each chambers, their number, and their mathematical relationship to each other.

i am attaching below a simple diagram of what i mean
it is approximately to scale, based on available numbers

Attachments

• amphipolis diagram.png
    amphipolis diagram.png
    51 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

paulrustad101

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
just time

That marble/stone appears to be in great condition. How does it end up buried under 10' of dirt, because it was originally built under ground? Or because it was built into the side of a hill? I ask because those lips on top of wall look like something that would be above ground.

Time alone accumulates dirt. It is estimated that Rome has risen 60' in the last 2000 years. That is why so much of it is underground.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
full pictures of the caryatids were released
_77735379_caryatids.gif

pretty spectacular

also, there appears to be another chamber, the fourth so far, although i found no images (nor new ones of chamber except for the initial limited ones

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I believe that the theory of being from the Roman years is abandoned (this theory actually was shot down immediately from the archaeologists on the site). This is much older.

The progress has to be slow as they need to uncover the entire chambers and the connecting walls as well as filter the soil carefully, as it also contains pieces of the statues that they might be missed otherwise. There is no shortcut for this.

The last feedback is that they've found the door for the 4th chamber (supposed to be the final chamber) which seems to lead under the ground. The fact that it is underground has 2 reasons; a symbolic one and a realistic one (a mix of realism with symbolism is a very typical pattern of the ancient Greek culture).

The underground burial chamber is symbolic of the dead's soul descending to Hades (the world where all the souls went according to the ancient Greek mythology/religion).

On the realistic side, though, it is also an additional measure to keep robbers off.

This last chamber is of course filled with soil as well, so it will certainly take a while to remove it and uncover who's lying there (given that it is indeed the last chamber and there are no other surprises).

Last edited:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
I believe that the theory of being from the Roman years is abandoned (this theory actually was shot down immediately from the archaeologists on the site). This is much older.

The progress has to be slow as they need to uncover the entire chambers and the connecting walls as well as filter the soil carefully, as it also contains pieces of the statues that they might be missed otherwise. There is no shortcut for this.

The last feedback is that they've found the door for the 4th chamber (supposed to be the final chamber) which seems to lead under the ground. The fact that it is underground has 2 reasons; a symbolic one and a realistic one (a mix of realism with symbolism is a very typical pattern of the ancient Greek culture).

The underground burial chamber is symbolic of the dead's soul descending to Hades (the world where all the souls went according to the ancient Greek mythology/religion).

On the realistic side, though, it is also an additional measure to keep robbers off.

This last chamber is of course filled with soil as well, so it will certainly take a while to remove it and uncover who's lying there (given that it is indeed the last chamber and there are no other surprises).

thanks for the infos, i also read rumors that the next door leads down.
per my theory above, however, i doubt it is the 'final' chamber. i think there will be still a lot more to be discovered

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.