Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
DAMN. Is it because your music is in a lossless format, or do you just have a ton of music?

I have a ton of music. Over a thousand CD's in my storage closet when that was the main format. Still can't bring myself to sell them.

emoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I don't use 128GB of storage but purchased the 128 GB phone. I usually have 30-50 GB of stuff. Games, movies, photos and videos... stuff for when I travel. The first 30GB is all the normal stuff. A few games that are 1-2GB, a few movies, shows and some music.

My challenge has always been when I am on vacation or its not convenient I tend to hit 64GB. This will stop me from taking new photos and videos while on a trip. I am not a fan of that so 128 gives me tons of breathing room.

There is nothing worse that being on a long trip and missing a great photo or having a video stop short because you hit 64GB

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
OP here. I think I need to clarify the question.

As I stated in my original post, I have a few albums and podcasts and a couple of tv shows etc. for those rare occasions when I have no net connection, but those times are *exceedingly* rare. I'm in the country right now, like literally farms are here country, and pretty much everyone here has DSL w. wifi, and in town I even get some cell data. So I pretty much always just stream music and tv right from pandora/Amazon prime/Netflix/etc. So if this is the case for me in the country, then that means the vaaast majority of people will have at least as much net connectivity as I get. - So why store any more than a few pieces of audio or video on your device?

I agree with you and totally get your point BUT now with IOS 8 + the new iPhones, i do not think 16GB is enough to work at a level that most people will be happy with and also have some freedom, it puts limiations on what one can or can't do - this is why Apple should have started with 32GB not 16GB, i am actually shocked that Apple even bothered to make a 16GB but i think this was a last chance deal for them......

a LOT of people travel and you need more than 16GB to just put some movies on a device

movies have grown to HD and have iTunes extras + such, next step would be to drop SD - disney has upgraded every digital movie that years ago were only in SD to now HD + Universal will do HD if you provide them with digital info.....i have 3+GB left on a new wireless iPad mini (kids use) i did the update connected to iTunes so it took less space...had to delete every app off to update to IOS 8 - nothing else is on it as we use iTunes match - the apps are getting updated so much faster then ever before and they are being created for new IOS 8 and the app file size is bigger...then, bono (U2) is now working with apple to create a whole new music file/type, i'm sure it will take up way more space....

so while one could make 16GB work with wireless, iTunes match + the ease of using (the soon to come) iCloud storage for your photos + such, it is still very limiting - i don't need 64GB but i bought it b/c 16GB is way too small for me now and i will keep it for 2 years - in the past, i have always used 16GB....

also, people now have more options, they may want to upgrade every year, buy iPhones outright, lease iPhone's as everything has changed in the whole cellular game....in the next 2 years, apple has to drop 16GB, they got away with it this time by offering our lives in the iCloud and since we don't know yet what it will be like (on purpose i am sure) they played us to a degree - i say to a degree b/c on the flip side they offered 4 times the GB (64GB) for what in the past would have historically cost $200 more for $100 less - i love them, don't get me wrong, i am so happy with my 64GB iPhone 6+ and i love the freedom now b/c i was starting to not to have it with my last iPhone at 16GB

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
---EDIT--------------
I'm very well aware of how much space you CAN fill up by loading your phone with 50,000 songs, or 10,000 high res photos, or several seasons worth of tv episodes, etc. The question is why do you store all that stuff locally on your device instead of just having a few of those items stored locally for the rare occasions when you don't have net access to stream them? Even out in the country where I am, pretty much everyone has DSL with wifi, and in town you even get some cell data. So for the vast majority of the population you're going to have net connectivity that's at least as good as that, and usually much better.

Not everyone has an unlimited data plan. Streaming music and videos on a capped cellular plan can get expensive very fast. And maybe wifi is faster in the country? Here in New York most free public wifi are so slow, streaming anything is impossible.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Right, that's what I just described, which is why for those rare occasions I have a few albums and a couple of tv episodes stored locally. But 10 albums, 10 podcasts, and 5 good quality tv episodes altogether don't take up more than 5 GB at max.

For some people, the occasions aren't so rare. You are lucky to be "out in the sticks" but still have a broadband internet connection. But there are huge swaths of the US, and the rest of the world, that if they COULD get on here (but can't because no internet) would tell you that by virtue of having non-dialup internet, you're not really "in the sticks" at all.

Then there are those of us who travel. If you're on planes a lot, that's a lot of downtime with questionable wifi prospects. Not all planes have it, and many that do rely on old-school EVDO backhaul that makes it impossible to do much beyond check a few e-mails and browse light websites. And even if you're lucky, the Wifi is an added cost, that can't always be justified.

Lastly, there's just freedom of choice. Anyone who really cares about their music or media collection knows that what they want to listen to or view at any point in time can depend a lot on mood and context. If I'm forced to carefully plan what I'm going to load on my devices long before I'm in the situation where I want to use them, there's a good chance I'll look at what I've loaded, and wish I had chosen something else instead.

Or, I could have lots of capacity on my device, and load my whole library on there. Then I don't have to spend time picking and choosing, and I want to watch or listen to something else I have in my library, I can without any fuss.

Of course, to each their own: if you don't care that much, and 16GB is good for you, then by all means, be happy with it. I assure you I'll be just as happy with my 128GB phone.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have a ton of music. Over a thousand CD's in my storage closet when that was the main format. Still can't bring myself to sell them.

I think I had 250 at my peak, but then I got rid of all of the cases and put the discs in a large binder that stays hidden away in a drawer.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Spotify, Netflix, Dropbox... obviously these are services most people haven't been made aware of in this thread...

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
I store all of my music locally on the iPhone. It's hooked up to my car stereo and I only have 2GB of data each month which I don't intend to eat up by streaming music. Also, Infinity Blade trilogy is like 10GB. Plus a couple of other large games. I maxed out my iPhone 5 64GB so had to go bigger with the 6.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
---EDIT--------------
I'm very well aware of how much space you CAN fill up by loading your phone with 50,000 songs, or 10,000 high res photos, or several seasons worth of tv episodes, etc. The question is why do you store all that stuff locally on your device instead of just having a few of those items stored locally for the rare occasions when you don't have net access to stream them? Even out in the country where I am, pretty much everyone has DSL with wifi, and in town you even get some cell data. So for the vast majority of the population you're going to have net connectivity that's at least as good as that, and usually much better.

-------- original comment below -------------

I've had a 16 GB iPad for 3 years and a 16 GB iPhone for a year, and I've almost never had a problem of too little available space. I have many many apps installed, including a couple of big games, I keep about 10 music albums and a few podcasts stored for those rare occasion when I don't have cell or wifi net access available, each week I take about 30 pictures and a couple of short videos, I'm running iOS 8 which supposedly eats up over 1 GB more than 7, I only sync with my computer to offload the pics and videos every couple of months, and even with all of that I still have like 4 GB of space free. What are other people storing that eats up so much more space that it requires 32 or 64 GB of space?

Question for you: Do you have kids? If you do you will run out of space very quickly due to videos and photos. Also, because of the higher MB per photo, each photo takes more space in the HD. Thus the reason to require more space.

Also, add in anyone who uses their phone for music or video...there goes your 16GB. It's gone real quick. Add in apps and such...there goes your 16GB even faster. Don't forget video takes up A LOT of space because it's in HD. Don't be no narrow minded in your thinking. Just because you don't use 16GB doesn't mean others do not. Not a healthy way of looking at life and others.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
It's not that I'm not around wifi a great deal of time when I want access to music and video, it's for the times I am away from it. I don't want to use my data downloading stuff over cell. It's slow and expensive.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I'm a professional landscape and advertising photographer using mostly film so, I have:

Gigs of topographical maps, mapping apps, pro weather apps, travel, climate and ephemeris apps and some photos used for marketing and scouting purposes. 64 GB is decent, 128GB would be much better.

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I have a 32GB iPhone 4 still for another few days and at first I thought 16GB would be enough (and that I could save 100€) since I thought I don't have a lot of stuff on my phone anymore, because since I wiped it with the release of iOS7 and my phone becoming unbearably slow with that (7.1 made it acceptable) I hardly took any photos or videos which used to take up heaps of space. Only had like 1/4 of my music library on there as well.

Yet when I checked out my storage usage I had over 20GB used and only few things that I was accepting to delete.

So I went with a 64GB iPhone and I doubt I'll regret it, seeing as I'm hoping that with a faster phone I can finally take pictures and videos again, maybe have a few shows on there that I watch regularly (although Netflix just came to Austria, but I don't wanna waste my 3GB plan on this) and have more music on there.

Each to their own. I have a friend who has a 16gb iPhone and most of the time she's busy with deleting photos to take a quick snapshot of something. ^^

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I don't store music or any kind of multimedia content locally on my phone anymore. It's all iTunes in the Cloud/iTunes Match. The quality is good enough. If you really care about audio quality, you wouldn't be using digital format in the first place. I have a vinyl collection for that. But that is just my opinion which is different than yours.

----------

I have a 32GB iPhone 4 still for another few days and at first I thought 16GB would be enough (and that I could save 100€) since I thought I don't have a lot of stuff on my phone anymore, because since I wiped it with the release of iOS7 and my phone becoming unbearably slow with that (7.1 made it acceptable) I hardly took any photos or videos which used to take up heaps of space. Only had like 1/4 of my music library on there as well.

Yet when I checked out my storage usage I had over 20GB used and only few things that I was accepting to delete.

So I went with a 64GB iPhone and I doubt I'll regret it, seeing as I'm hoping that with a faster phone I can finally take pictures and videos again, maybe have a few shows on there that I watch regularly (although Netflix just came to Austria, but I don't wanna waste my 3GB plan on this) and have more music on there.

Each to their own. I have a friend who has a 16gb iPhone and most of the time she's busy with deleting photos to take a quick snapshot of something. ^^

I don't think having the storage full makes your phone slower. Unless you really had absolutely no space. Like < 100 MB or something.

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
TomTom app ~2GB
Navigon App ~1GB
Real Racing 3 ~2GB
Couple other major games

Total comes to about 5 or 7GB right there

Add in a few podcasts / audiobooks ... we're already pushing 10-12GB

How / Why anyone would buy a 16GB iPhone which gives you about 13GB in reality is beyond me

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
16gb was getting tight for my photos/videos and apps. I did not have any music on my iphone 5S either.

I like to have all of my photos on my phone since my original iphone in 2010. I do like to go through them from time to time

Now since I got the 64gb I can load up my music (not much, maybe 4gb) and not have to worry about the "storage low" warning. I will still have 30gb of free memory, but I am Ok with that.

Its kind of like having super comfortable sweatpants on instead of tight jeans. lol

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Spotify, Netflix, Dropbox... obviously these are services most people haven't been made aware of in this thread...

And obviously you haven't been reading the replies.

Here's the problem with ALL of those services: you need a reliable and fast network connection to use them. On the subway? You're boned. On an aircraft? Boned. A rural location? Boned. A highly congested city? Boned.

There are so many situations where data connectivity is spotty or unavailable that relying on cloud services simply isn't an option, never mind the obvious danger of entrusting files to a third party who may or may not be trustworthy enough to keep those files safe.

Ultimately the best, most reliable and safest way to access your files is to have them physically on your device. THAT is why I always buy the largest capacity iPhone/iPod/MacBook/MacPro that I can afford. Relying on cloud services, whether you choose to admit it or not, is just asking for trouble.

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I don't think having the storage full makes your phone slower. Unless you really had absolutely no space. Like < 100 MB or something.

My 32GB were never fully used. I meant that going from iOS 6 to iOS 7 made my iPhone 4 painfully slow. After 7.1 was released it was significantly more useable again.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Music
Photos
Apps

In that order.

Mobile data is patchy around here so all music needs to be stored on the phone and when I hook it up to my Audi it won't read the tracks stored in the cloud.

Also, love to have photos on my phone. I'm a keen photographer and most of my photos from my Fuji XE1 are quite large. I like to have photos of significant events on me either for browsing through when I'm alone or to show other people.

I got 128GB this time. More than I need but at least I know I'll never be left with a brick if I've got no Gs or wifi.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Apple losless is why I need the space. At home, it doesn't matter, and why I have a 16gb Ipad. Out of the house I want a decent library of music that is my personal collection and I want it in the best audio quality.

I do not like hosted storage of any kind. Apple or anybody else, doesn't need to have access to my files including financial, photos, or otherwise.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
My 32GB were never fully used. I meant that going from iOS 6 to iOS 7 made my iPhone 4 painfully slow. After 7.1 was released it was significantly more useable again.

Oh. In that case, I fully agree with you. iPhone 4 did not do well on iOS 7 at all.

----------

Apple losless is why I need the space. At home, it doesn't matter, and why I have a 16gb Ipad. Out of the house I want a decent library of music that is my personal collection and I want it in the best audio quality.

I do not like hosted storage of any kind. Apple or anybody else, doesn't need to have access to my files including financial, photos, or otherwise.

It's music... It's not your social security number!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
A decent movie is 2GB.

A TV show about 600MB.

I've never understood why people choose phones, even ones with displays as large as the 6+, to watch extensive amounts of movies and TV on.

Yeah, yeah, I know... "I travel, I'm on a train 2 hours a day, etc." but I'd figure that an iPad mini or another small tablet would be a lot better for a take anywhere media device.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
And obviously you haven't been reading the replies.

Here's the problem with ALL of those services: you need a reliable and fast network connection to use them. On the subway? You're boned. On an aircraft? Boned. A rural location? Boned. A highly congested city? Boned.

There are so many situations where data connectivity is spotty or unavailable that relying on cloud services simply isn't an option, never mind the obvious danger of entrusting files to a third party who may or may not be trustworthy enough to keep those files safe.

Ultimately the best, most reliable and safest way to access your files is to have them physically on your device. THAT is why I always buy the largest capacity iPhone/iPod/MacBook/MacPro that I can afford. Relying on cloud services, whether you choose to admit it or not, is just asking for trouble.

So have what? have a 1000 different songs available when you're in this "spotty" place or "highly congested city". You can only listen to so much music before you end up somewhere you have wifi or a good data connection.

The only private data you could possibly not want to store with services like Dropbox are photos and videos which are private, but should generally be backed up on a hard drive anyway. Because you know if you lose the phone by any chance... you'll lose all of your photos.

Music, you don't need to save anywhere... Spotify does this for you.
TV-Shows/Movies, you don't need to save anywhere
Netflix, Hulu, Moviebox do this for you. You can pre download a few and put them on your device just in case... but there's no reason to put everything on it.. 0 none whatsoever. It's just using storage for the sake of having storage. Meaning you're spending money, just because you have money. A waste is what I am saying.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I understand that videos take up space. But you haven't answered my question, which is why do you need several seasons worth of tv shows stored on your phone at all times?

Multiple people have answered your question already. When stored locally, you don't have to worry about Internet reliability/speed, or the bandwidth/data caps many ISPs and cell providers impose. No buffering, you can pause at any time and start exactly where you left off, use the media on your device instead of listening to commercial radio, always have something handy to watch/read/listen to. Just because you don't see the need for more than 16GB doesn't mean everyone does (or should) feel the same way.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It's music... It's not your social security number!

There's some reason to be snotty about it? He has a valid point. If it's his own original music he won't want it up on Apple's servers. Same goes with photos. I make my living as a photographer. A lot of my images are copywriten. Trusting them to cloud services is a problem, especially if you read the TOS for these services. Not to mention the fact that many of my client images are nudes. Those aren't going on anyone's cloud. Period.

In other words, let's not be so quick to dismiss. There are lots of absolutely valid reasons why one might not want to trust a cloud service with files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.