Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Florida
Can I reset my iPhone 4s to factory settings without upgrading to the brand news ios8?

I was just about to do a factory reset on my iphone 4s which is running ios 7. But then they just came out w/ ios 8. I want to stay on ios7 but need to do a factory reset because of messed up storage capacity.

Can I reset my iPhone 4s to factory settings without upgrading to ios8?

Thanks,
Lauren

Lourayad

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Yes Apple is still signing 7.1.2 I think check online to confim...you should download 7.1.2 ipsw and restore via itunes by holding option on mac or shift on windows and then click restore then look for the downloaded firmware and the process should begin.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
No need to use iTunes. Just do the reset from the phone under Settings > General > Reset. It will erase all your content and settings but not change the OS at all.

aidenh37

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Note on post

No need to use iTunes. Just do the reset from the phone under Settings > General > Reset. It will erase all your content and settings but not change the OS at all.

What this guy said. :)
This will restore anytime anywhere and will boot up to Setup Assistant. You need to have a wi-fi connection to do this so don't go and do it when you don't have wi-fi!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
What this guy said. :)
This will restore anytime anywhere and will boot up to Setup Assistant. You need to have a wi-fi connection to do this so don't go and do it when you don't have wi-fi!

Not true. I turned on airplane mode on my old 4s so it wouldn't received email and alerts during my transition. I just did an erase all without any network connection and it worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.