Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
My contract with iPhone 4S is up (signed up with Telus around 2011 December, 3 year contract). Now it is the time for me to pick other phone. Now I have 2 option in front of me: 1. Get iPhone 5C for free and keep my original plan and sign up for 2 year contract term (300 minutes local, unlimited texting, 6GB data) 2) getting shinny new iPhone 6 for a new contract. Telus rep. told me that they could not do iPhone 6 with old plan under 2 year contract, I have to get a least 80 dollars plan with significant less data.

Since I am on budgets and do not really want pay more for less, I am leaning towards iPhone 5C. The questions is that is iPhone 5C still worth to get? Could iPhone 5 not getting future updates? Should I get get this phone and old plan with 2 year contract. Then when I have enough money, I will shell out for unlocked iPhone 6.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Look at other carriers and their plans first.

Most carrier will have iPhone 6 and asks you sign up for their 80+ plan month for around 1GB of data. I want to grandfather my old plan, so I have very little choice but stay with Telus. Nobody is offering 6GB plan for $55 anymore since starts of 2 years contract

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
If you are tight on your budget, then i say y not? The 5c is free. Even if you are to buy a used 5 or 5s, thats money from your pocket. Go with the 5c bro.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Yes it is. In my opinion it is one of the best iPhones ever made. It runs smooth on iOS8 and so if in future they cut it out the loop or introduce more RAM intensive iOS, you just don't upgrade. Life will be simple for you and you will enjoy this great phone and its terrific ergonomics.

But, here's the thing, I wouldn't get an 8gb phone. My wife has 16gb and it fills up with videos and photos. Admittedly the new iCloud Photo Library will make that space go further, but seriously, 8gb is too little unless you don't have many apps and dont use the camera much.

Get at least a 16gb one unlocked from Amazon. Forget the 2 year commitment. You are being rinsed.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Yes it is. In my opinion it is one of the best iPhones ever made. It runs smooth on iOS8 and so if in future they cut it out the loop or introduce more RAM intensive iOS, you just don't upgrade. Life will be simple for you and you will enjoy this great phone and its terrific ergonomics.

But, here's the thing, I wouldn't get an 8gb phone. My wife has 16gb and it fills up with videos and photos. Admittedly the new iCloud Photo Library will make that space go further, but seriously, 8gb is too little unless you don't have many apps and dont use the camera much.

Get at least a 16gb one unlocked from Amazon. Forget the 2 year commitment. You are being rinsed.

Yeah... Telus still have some stock of 16GB iPhone 5C... So I would get that... Thanks

----------

have you tried ebay and purchase a used 5s.

I will never trust eBay... I could try Kijiji

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I would not normally have recommended a new iPhone 5c now. But with the great deal on the data plan - its a no brainer. Get the 5C and keep the data plan as long as you can.

If you get a 5c on iOS 7 and not upgrade to iOS 8/9 and download apps you use before they cut off older iOS's, you should be good for 2 - 3 years. If you do upgrade, you may find the 5c turning to a dog by iOS 9, since it will be 3 iOS's over what the hardware originally shipped with (iOS 6).

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Get the 6. Getting a 2 generation old phone is a waste if you have to sign a contract for it.

Absolutely this.

I never thought the C was a worthwhile phone anyway — it's just a budgeted 5s (which is a fantastic device). You'll probably regret going with the C unless you're immensely attracted to the color and design.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Not at all. The 8GB of storage means it's not very useful as a smartphone.

I wish Apple wouldn't gimp the lowest end iPhone with 8GB of storage. 16GB is tight enough; with 8GB you can't even do an OTA update of a major iOS version!

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
My wife went with the 5c this time around because she really, really doesn't care about technology. Perfectly adequate phone, just nothing to get excited about. Split the difference and get a 5S.

plantemichel

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Depend I live in Montreal and Videotron gives you way more they have the 5S 16 gigs for 0 the 32 for 49$ and the 64 for 149$ and they have cheaper plans

HJ24

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
United States
it never was worth getting. You're paying for iPhone 5 parts in a cheap shell...why not save even more and get a higher quality construction 5

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
If you sign up to a contract its not free! I love all these posts showing what Americans pay for their contracts! You guys are getting rinsed

I know it's not free. What I was trying to say that it's not worth it unless someone gave it to him for free.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Is there any way for you to unlock the 4s and move it over to a contract free plan? If budget is a concern, you should look at options for reusing what you already have, and going to a lower cost plan that doesn't have the subsidy built into the monthly bill. You'll save money in the meantime, and you can still explore options for getting a newer iPhone whenever budget allows.

Getting locked into a three-year contract for a 5c just doesn't sound right. The 5c will be out of production by this time next year, and their entire product lineup will have transitioned over to 64-bit. And iOS 9 will likely be the last OS update that will be compatible with the 5c. Everything afterwards will be 64-bit only, with developers following suit. That probably won't be an issue for the next two years, but after that point, you might see an increasing number of apps no longer available for 32-bit iPhones.

----------

If you sign up to a contract its not free! I love all these posts showing what Americans pay for their contracts! You guys are getting rinsed

Telus is a Canadian carrier.

The US carriers are all moving away from subsidized contract plans. The choices available now are light years ahead of where things were a year ago.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
it never was worth getting. You're paying for iPhone 5 parts in a cheap shell...why not save even more and get a higher quality construction 5

I'm guessing you never owned a 5c. They are very high quality construction. The plastic is a very strong high density plastic which is in my opinion a better construction than the tinny feeling 5. Plus it is ergonomically ideal for a phone. The 5 is nowhere near.

HJ24

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
United States
I'm guessing you never owned a 5c. They are very high quality construction. The plastic is a very strong high density plastic which is in my opinion a better construction than the tinny feeling 5. Plus it is ergonomically ideal for a phone. The 5 is nowhere near.

Umm no it's not. The materials used in the 5 were higher quality and thus also more expensive to apple. To reduce cost was the sole reason it was the first year that apple simply discontinued the previous model and introduced a "new" cheaper more cost effective iphone 5c. It's not a bad phone, but you're basically paying for a iphone 5 (which you could find for cheaper) in a cheaper body/shell.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Umm no it's not. The materials used in the 5 were higher quality and thus also more expensive to apple. To reduce cost was the sole reason it was the first year that apple simply discontinued the previous model and introduced a "new" cheaper more cost effective iphone 5c. It's not a bad phone, but you're basically paying for a iphone 5 (which you could find for cheaper) in a cheaper body/shell.

Umm no (to quote your patronising tone). The 5c has a better battery and a better iSight camera than the the 5. Also, the idea that the 5c was supposedly a "budget" phone was an assumption from the use of polycarbonate. However the materials cost for the 5c was only 20 dollars less than the 5s which is accounted for by the TouchID, the newer A7 cpu and the better rear camera. The actual cost of the 5s space grey rear housing assembly is actually less than the materials cost of the polycarbonate on steel rear shell of the 5c.

In any case, since when does cost of materials determine their quality? A higher quality plastic can be more than a lower quality aluminium. The iPhone 5 also had a serious problem with scratches on the rear shell, not indicative of quality at all.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
One thing I have not seen anyone ask is, How much data do you use. I to this day talk to people that say, "I have an unlimited data plan and I dont want to loose it". I ask them how much they use on average and what was the biggest month in the last 12? Most say 1-2GB on average and 3GB tops.

If that is what you use, let it go. stop tying to stick with older hardware to keep a plan you dont use.

To me, it seems like you keep a phone for the entire contract. That will be 2 years from now. I would want to get the best hardware I can get at the moment knowing I will have it for a bit. At the end of 2 year, I think it is the difference between having a device that is still usable on the current software, and having one that struggles and make the user experience difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.