Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Because you are spouting the most ignorant, uneducated, simpleton, economic mumbo-jumbo. Do you think Apple wants hundreds of thousands of their cell phones being exported overseas at inflated prices?

Furthermore the global economy is more complex then "the MOST ardent iPhone fans would pay a premium over retail to have the phone." They have their own domestic Chinese market that clearly has some government issues regarding regulatory approval and as a result they are plundering our domestic market. In other words instead of fixing the issues preventing the iPhone from launching in their market, they are creating a shortage (a problem) in our market while at the same time leaving their own market broken and making a profit on it.

There are a whole host of reasons why the scalper situation is a big issue and if you think it's some simple elementary school capitalism--whoever pays more gets it-- then you are clearly disconnected with the reality of doing business.

Ok, I get it. You are bitter. Sorry I couldn't do a formal Chicago School of Economics essay for you here. Actually I'm not. However, you being the superior elite intellectual here what the heck are you doing hanging out at a low brow site like MR and communicating with us Hoi polloi anyway?

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
You really are prejudiced, aren't you? I don't make assumptions about anyone's intentions just because there happens to be a large group of people of a certain ethnicity gathered somewhere.

In the end the fact remains: some of you racists are simply classifying all Asians standing in line as scalpers. So if a line consists of 90% Asian people, the conclusion is that 90% of the people standing in line are scalpers. Complete BS. That's a really lame and completely inaccurate way to compile and interpret data.

I'm a hell of a lot less ignorant than you are, that's for sure.

Listen, just because you're extra sensitive and for some reason can not grasp the idea of why the US government has anti-scalping regulations doesn't mean everyone is racist. The regulations as I stated above cover over 75% of the US population and apply to most sport-league municipalities in the USA.

This situation is getting enough attention that it's just matter of time regulators apply it to other products and not just concert tickets.

You're really not gonna get anywhere crying about "freedom" when regulations that apply to concert tickets for example, state that the businesses have set up their own price point, and scalpers like you (I'm assuming you are one by how defensive you are) tie up supply and artificially inflate the price just for your own economic gains.

Stop taking it as a personal attack and look at it from a logical perspective, if possible.

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Any idea how much those 'mules' waiting in line for being paid per phone?

I can tell you for sure, they are not dirt poor, in NYC they get free housing, medical, food stamps and free phone. They just have endless amounts of free time because they don't work

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I don't see how it is racist or prejudiced to observe that the vast majority of people waiting in lines on launch day were chinese scalpers. When you see a photo taken in one of the whitest neighbourhoods in town and you can only count one non-chinese in a photo of 100 people, it isn't difficult to see what is going on.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A friend and I arrived at around 8:00 PM on Thursday to be in line at the Apple Store in our local mall. We were Number 50 and 51 respectively. Just ahead of us were some young guys who were clearly interested in getting the iPhone for themselves and we had fun geeking out and chatting about our Apple products. Beyond them, a mixture of people of various ages, and also a mixture of nationalities, although, yes, there were a lot of Asians. One group of three or four men, though, who were not Asian but perhaps South American, really caught our attention because, well....they just didn't seem all that excited or interested in why they were there and in the product. Our line was cut off after two or three more people joined us, and then another line was formed in an adjacent hallway. Others who came later spent the night outdoors.

One of our line mates went for a stroll, did some chatting-up of various people in his travels and returned to tell us that our suspicions were confirmed -- there were indeed a number of "line-sitters" there, people who were being paid to be in line and who would go into the store and buy two iPhones and promptly turn them over to another party. Heh.... Time passed. Then a youngish (mid-20's) Asian guy came wandering by and started chatting us up. He was actually recruiting for more people to buy phones for him. It was his crew who were in line ahead of us, too. He suggested that we buy phones for him and he would pay us in cash, and then we could always return the next day to get the phone we'd originally been interested in getting in the first place. Yeah, right. None of us hearing his spiel bit on that, of course. He was quite honest about his intentions. He was collecting iPhones to ship to Vietnam.

Most of his line-sitters were to buy two iPhone 6 models, 16 GB capacity. (Since my friend and I were both interested in the iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB, we were relieved to hear this news.) When he saw that he wasn't getting too far with recruiting us, the guy moved on......

When we got closer to the time of the store opening and the line actually being ready to move, that was when Security had to keep a close eye out for people (a couple of young men in particular) who were trying to cut in. Between the efforts of Mall Security and Apple personnel, though, things were kept under control and no one was allowed to jump in at the natural break between our line and the next section.

In this area there is a large Asian population and while many people who were in line were indeed Asian, my guess is that the majority of them (lots of young folks) were there for their own iPhone, not to buy two unlocked phones for some scalper.

That said, it was definitely an interesting experience and noticeably different from previous iPhone (or iPad) launches. While there were a lot of enthusiastic Apple fans eager to get their hands on the new iPhones, yes, it was disconcerting to see others in line who really couldn't care less.

cantonez3

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
You really are not very smart, are you? City = 19% Asian. Line = 95% Asian. You don't see anything abnormal there? And this is being repeated in every city where the new iPhone is on sale. Has nothing to do with race, other than we know these phones are destined for (ironically, heading back to) China and they are using primarily Chinese through their connections to be the mules.

you mad bro?

----------

But irrational reasoning and drawing false conclusions is alive and well. LOL :)

along with fear mongering and sinophobia

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So what if a particular ethnic group likes to buy iPhones and resell them? What's the problem? Is there some law against this? Geez people.

cantonez3

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
if you think about it, they're actually really smart, buy enough iPhones and resell them to not only cover the cost of getting yourself an iPhone but to make a quick buck as well

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Listen, just because you're extra sensitive and for some reason can not grasp the idea of why the US government has anti-scalping regulations doesn't mean everyone is racist. The regulations as I stated above cover over 75% of the US population and apply to most sport-league municipalities in the USA.

Wait, what? Which law is that? So you're saying that if I buy something, and then resell it to someone else for more than I paid for it, then I'm scalping and there is a law against that? Could you give a reference to the various laws that cover 75% of the US population?

This makes no sense to me. Maybe you're confusing TICKET scalping laws, which have literally nothing to do with and don't apply.

In America, a free and capitalist society, you're free to buy whatever the hell you want, and sell it to the highest bider, with very few exceptions. I could go to Target right now, buy up every toaster they have in stock, maybe corner the market (for toasters!) and drive up local toaster prices. It might piss you off if you're desperate for some toast tonight and don't want to wait for your backordered toaster to come in the mail, but it's not illegal.

Koziakauzu

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
what is worst than whiners? Scalpers? no, people who think they have authority to call others whiners on a whining thread.

You don't like whiners? Eff you.

You don't whine simply because you got your unit secured. There is absolutely no other reason to support scalpers unless your family members are some of them or you are desperate enough to waste 18 hours of your life to make $100

So move on, insert your iPhone case deep inside and let the whiners share their rage.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Not true at all. Look up price gouging laws.
You're incorrect on this; price gouging is something else entirely.

As of 2008, laws against price-gouging have been enacted in 34 states. Price-gouging is often defined in terms of three criteria listed below:[6]

Period of Emergency: The majority of laws apply only to price shifts during a time of disaster.
Necessary items: Most laws apply exclusively to items which are essential to survival.
Price ceilings: Laws limit the maximum price that can be charged for given goods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Wait, what? Which law is that? So you're saying that if I buy something, and then resell it to someone else for more than I paid for it, then I'm scalping and there is a law against that? Could you give a reference to the various laws that cover 75% of the US population?

This makes no sense to me. Maybe you're confusing TICKET scalping laws, which have literally nothing to do with and don't apply.

In America, a free and capitalist society, you're free to buy whatever the hell you want, and sell it to the highest bider, with very few exceptions. I could go to Target right now, buy up every toaster they have in stock, maybe corner the market (for toasters!) and drive up local toaster prices. It might piss you off if you're desperate for some toast tonight and don't want to wait for your backordered toaster to come in the mail, but it's not illegal.

I think you're picking a choosing what you read in peoples post, thus you're clearly confused.

If you continued to read my post after what you quoted I stated "This situation is getting enough attention that it's just matter of time regulators apply it to other products and not just concert tickets"

So lets try some ESL here.. "matter of time regulators apply it to OTHER products (implying iPhone) and not JUST CONCERT TICKETS"

So yes, I'm exactly talking about ticket scalping laws and explaining the LOGIC behind why regulators find it undesirable, and saying that eventually, those laws will change.

I always knew people had selective hearing, but didn't know its possible for it to trickle down into reading. Sad.

Read the link, but if you can't even read a few line post, I have no idea how you're gonna get through 80 pages. (and just so you don't get confused again, the article is talking about anti-scalping regulations and and possible future scalping laws based on market principles.

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/cato-journal/1995/5/cj15n1-4.pdf

But I'm not here to explain simple things to simpletons, just telling the other guy to stop crying and calling people racist.

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
I think you're picking a choosing what you read in peoples post, thus you're clearly confused.

If you continued to read my post after what you quoted I stated "This situation is getting enough attention that it's just matter of time regulators apply it to other products and not just concert tickets

Got it. Thanks, you're right I didn't read your whole post. Your clarification confirms what I suspected; You are in-fact confusing ticket-scalping laws with this issue.

The problem is that your your premise is a half-truth, you've created a false analogy, and you've made an assertion of momentum that is completely contradicted by evidence.

Half-truth: 26 states have scalping laws. True. Those 26 states contain 75% of the US population. Also true. What you didn't say is that of those 26 states, 19 have laws that simply regulate where and when tickets can be sold. For example, in California (the most populous state), the law only restricts resale on the premises of the event. I would say that covers less that 0.1% of the of the "population" of California, with only those living right next/in a venue being affected (and arguably they could walk a few blocks?). In Texas (second most populous state), there are no laws against scalping. In New York (third most populous state), you can't sell within 500-1500 ft of a venue, and you need a certificate from the sec of state, but once you have that you can scalp to your heart's content. If you're suggesting that scalping is illegal in and around places where 75% of the US population lives, you're being disingenuous and greatly exaggerating the level of regulation that actually exists.

False analogy: Your essentially arguing that reselling a product (iPhone) is the same as reselling tickets for an event, and since ticket resale is regulated then product resale is/should also be regulated. There is no correlation between the two, and the reasons for regulating ticket sales have literally nothing to do with, nor do they apply to, product resale. Ticket scalping laws, if you have read them, are clearly aimed at a) preventing a ton of people from showing up at a venue ticketless without a ticket, thinking they can buy from a reseller (crowd control problem), b) preventing fraud through licensing, because it's easy to perpetrate with paper/virtual objects like tickets, and c) addressing the fundamental imbalance between demand and supply for a time-definite, one- or short-time, capacity limited event that is easy to monopolize (e.g. you could use software to buy up all the tickets very quickly). Neither a, b, or c apply in the case of a product. For c, I'm quite sure apple will make enough iPhones to go around eventually, and whether you start using yours today or 4 weeks from now makes no real difference to the value you receive from the product.

Assertion: "just a matter of time before regulators . . .". Well, these are laws, so I guess it would really be lawmakers. But in any case, you're implying there is some kind of momentum that leads us toward greater regulation of resale. If you're looking to ticket scalping laws to reach this conclusion, you should have noticed that in-fact the momentum is in the opposite direction. Missouri repealed its scalping law in 2007. Minnesota repealed its scalping law in 2007, and a new one failed to pass in 2011. Colorado failed to pass a scalping law in 2009. Connecticut repealed its law in 2007, and a new one failed (like Minnesota) in 2011. If anything, the momentum is against regulation in this area. I'm pretty sure it's because most logical people realize a free market economy is a better solution than to try to regulate supply/demand through legislation.

Have a nice day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.