Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
for those of you who did the newesst iOS update OTA, how long did it take? I tried yesterday via OTA and after 10 hours the Apple TV quit. I just plugged it into my Mac mini and iTunes is saying it will take 17 hours?!???

Is there something wrong with my ATV?

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Mine took about an hour. Perhaps iOS8 distribution is overwhelming servers and slowing everything down?

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Mine failed when I first tried then after waiting about half an hour it went through pretty quick with no issues.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I updated 3 ATV 2 (6.1.1 - 6.2.1) and 2 ATV 3's yesterday without much issue. I have a 75mbps download FIOS speed. However, one of my ATV 2's was on 6.1.0 and was having problems connecting to the server and then I switch to a different wifi router (and have multiple) and then it connect right away.

I did not time them because I just started the download and went on to something else but I believe they were all done in < 1 hour.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Took close to 1 hour this time around. Must have either been a very large download or the Server was overloaded.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
whenever the wifi gets slow, I read one person reset the region format, it has always worked for me. I can say it has always fixed the wifi connection. you might want to give it a try.

switch the region to what?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Progress!!

After resetting the ATV to factory and using my iPhone to set it up as new. The ATV connected and downloaded the new OS in 5mins

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple started distributing updates through their own Content Delivery Network instead of using the big boy networks that they've used for years. This explains the long waits for getting the updates.

It took me three attempts before the update started to download, and the download took nearly an hour. Not a positive experience.

I'm sure Apple was field-testing their delivery network and will make significant improvements for the future.

So far my experience with Apple TV 7.0 has not been positive, at least one one case. A radio station that worked flawlessly prior to the update now keeps dropping the connection. I figured these were direct streams from the content providers, but if Apple is channeling all radio stations through their own servers now, that would explain the problems.

No iTunes Radio here in Canada yet. Boo!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
About an hour for me. Only to find out that since my Apple Tv doesn't support peer-to-peer wifi, all I get for my troubles are a revamped interface. :rolleyes:

brand

Suspended
Oct 3, 2006
Apple started distributing updates through their own Content Delivery Network instead of using the big boy networks that they've used for years. This explains the long waits for getting the updates.

Just because they used their own CDN does not mean that is why people have had to wait for the updates. Do you have a credible source that says that Apple's CDN was the cause or are you just talking without any real knowledge of the situation? In addition to Apple using their own CDN they also used Akamai's CDN.

Your speculation is not the same as the fact that you are trying to pass it off as.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
I updated in about 40 min. I was under the impression that updating took longer than downloading of update. But than again , I'm in Serbia , country of origin of Apple Content Delivery Network ;-)

But, it is big update. Everything seems io7-ed . Youtube seems to load better and fast forward and skip better and faster. Eve the dreadful typing with a remote seemed snapier. That's kinda cool , for hobby device.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Have the download times improved or are people still having issues with how long it takes?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I'm still stuck here. I don't want to do a complete reset. I'm hoping it will eventually click.

I had this issue with everyone of the devices in my house that I tried to update on the first day. After totally resetting all of them, they updated quickly.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
I had this issue with everyone of the devices in my house that I tried to update on the first day. After totally resetting all of them, they updated quickly.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep waiting to see if something clears. If it doesn't by the end of the week, then I guess I'll have to do the reset. It's such a nuisance to have to do that, though.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
My update took about 30 minutes - from home screen to home screen. There were a couple of reboots along the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.