Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shelfa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I'm choosing between Logitech, belkin and zagg. What do you recommend?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I have both zagg (on ipad4) and Logitech (on Air). Both offer a good typing experience. The zagg is heavier, it is more expensive but excellent quality, great protection for the screen, and it is backlit which is useful. I like the Logitech also and it suits the Air, being lighter construction, but if I had to choose and have only one, it would be the zagg keys pro.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I'm a Logitech fan, so color me somewhat biased. However, even among Logitech there are different models, each with its pluses and minuses. Logitech has models that can act as a Smart Cover for easy carrying, as well as a model that has its own carrying case that acts as a stand for the iPad.

I like the typing experiences on all, but in the end, I went with the Smart Cover keyboard.

Your best bet, if you can, is to try typing on all of the models you can get your hands on and then deciding. Typing experiences are really relative - one friend will never get close to Logitech with a ten foot pole because he hates the feel.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Anyone know if Fintie is a good brand? There is a Fintie brand case on Amazon for $33 that comes with a bluetooth keyboard. Seems really inexpensive compared to other brands, but it seems to have good ratings.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Check Amazon reviews for the style you want. I wanted one that is NOT a back cover or folio. I favor the Logitech Ultrathin which is akin to a Microsoft Surface keyboard but with REAL keys (and in fact came out before Microsoft's).

IMPORTANT: There are TWO Logitech Ultrathin models for ipad Air (plus the various models for other iPads) and Amazon seems to sell the flawed OLD model. I had two of that original model and had to return both because the iPad Air would pry up the plastic in front of it, and looked to be heading towards a breakage. Plus, one was warped and wouldn't sit level.

The NEW model sounds better, though I have not tried it. You can fine YouTube reviews of it, and it's on Logitech's site, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere except directly from Apple. (Maybe that will change when it's been out longer?)

Here's how to spot the NEW model:

1. It has an adjustable-angle hinge (but this may make portrait use difficult--I wonder).

2. It has an extra row of key: real full-size number keys plus separate function keys.

3. It has big rubber bumpers (the size of keys) at the front corners to keep the iPad away from the keys. Therefore, the arrow keys "T" is NOT the last thing in the lower-right. The arrow keys are moved inward and that big bumper is what's at the very corner.

There are other keyboards I like the design of, but ONLY this one seems to lack obvious problems and have ALL the keys in the correct places, so your typing habits aren't screwed up. Some other great-looking designs sadly have relocated the quote keys or question mark or some other key you'll use many times a day. Deal-breaker for me.

And some of the Zagg ones look great (backlight!) except they grip the iPad tightly--which can leave marks, and require a lot of force to insert/remove. I want to attach/remove the keyboard easily, such as for portrait use, so that grip-hinge mechanism is unacceptable to me.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Check Amazon reviews for the style you want. I wanted one that is NOT a back cover or folio. I favor the Logitech Ultrathin which is akin to a Microsoft Surface keyboard but with REAL keys (and in fact came out before Microsoft's).

IMPORTANT: There are TWO Logitech Ultrathin models for ipad Air (plus the various models for other iPads) and Amazon seems to sell the flawed OLD model. I had two of that original model and had to return both because the iPad Air would pry up the plastic in front of it, and looked to be heading towards a breakage. Plus, one was warped and wouldn't sit level.

The NEW model sounds better, though I have not tried it. You can fine YouTube reviews of it, and it's on Logitech's site, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere except directly from Apple. (Maybe that will change when it's been out longer?)

Here's how to spot the NEW model:

1. It has an adjustable-angle hinge (but this may make portrait use difficult--I wonder).

2. It has an extra row of key: real full-size number keys plus separate function keys.

3. It has big rubber bumpers (the size of keys) at the front corners to keep the iPad away from the keys. Therefore, the arrow keys "T" is NOT the last thing in the lower-right. The arrow keys are moved inward and that big bumper is what's at the very corner.

There are other keyboards I like the design of, but ONLY this one seems to lack obvious problems and have ALL the keys in the correct places, so your typing habits aren't screwed up. Some other great-looking designs sadly have relocated the quote keys or question mark or some other key you'll use many times a day. Deal-breaker for me.

And some of the Zagg ones look great (backlight!) except they grip the iPad tightly--which can leave marks, and require a lot of force to insert/remove. I want to attach/remove the keyboard easily, such as for portrait use, so that grip-hinge mechanism is unacceptable to me.

I just got this keyboard and it's awesome! Do you know of an iPad Air back hard cover that is compatible with the new Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I just got this keyboard and it's awesome! Do you know of an iPad Air back hard cover that is compatible with the new Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard?

I doubt one exists: it would make the Air too thick to sit in the slot, and the wrong shape to engage the hinge magnets (plus making them weaker).

How about a rear protective film instead? I've seen both clear and colored ones.

I guess your only other options would be a case you put on only when NOT using the keyboard (but I find that rear shells--like my old Feather--tend to break or stretch if removed too much); or a different keyboard that has a full case (but Logitech's folio-style keyboards are NOT the same nice keys as the Ultrathin).

For me, I throw the iPad in a neoprene bag for transit (with or without keyboard) and no longer use a full-time case.

msandsm

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2016
Anyone know if Fintie is a good brand? There is a Fintie brand case on Amazon for $33 that comes with a bluetooth keyboard. Seems really inexpensive compared to other brands, but it seems to have good ratings.
I've never had any luck with Fintie products, although I have only tried one of their iPhone 6 cases and an iPad Air case, never a keyboard. I did get a Logitech keyboard/case, but until I can figure out how to pair the keyboard with the iPad, I can't say much about their keyboard. Good luck if you get the Fintie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.