Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fouramphonecall

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I'm wondering if we will be able to pair any band with any watch, or if each collection will be self-contained. E.g. will we be able to pair a leather or metal band with the sport watch and a sport band with the regular watch? From the images released so far it would appear the connecting mechanism is the same between the different watches, but I suppose we can't know for sure.

If the sport watch is limited to the "fluoroelastomer" bands, that would definitely force me to consider purchasing the inevitably more expensive version to have better choices of bands, and because several early reviewers noted the sport bands weren't the most comfortable. This seems like the Apple thing to do, as it would force more upgrades, but would be an unfortunate choice-limitation for consumers.

What do y'all think? Will the bands be completely interchangeable? Will that affect your choice of watch either way?

----------

Looking at the Apple Watch site, I just noticed that the Edition is shown paired with a white sports band, however this sports band appears to have gold metal for the closing mechanism, rather than the silver shown on the standard sports bands. This seems to imply there will be special Edition versions of the sports bands, perhaps adding credence to the idea of self-contained collections.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Whilst no one really knows for certain at the moment the general assumption is that you can interchange straps with any of the watches although it may be that they come in different sizes for the two different sizes of watch. I think its fairly certain as well that there will be a massive third party strap market once the watch is launched much in the same way with iPhone\iPad cases currently that cover all sorts of price ranges.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
When Apple charge $40 for a 50 cents bit of molded rubber to go around an iPhone.

I shudder to think what they will try and con people out of for the Watch straps, esp the metal ones.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
When Apple charge $40 for a 50 cents bit of molded rubber to go around an iPhone.

I shudder to think what they will try and con people out of for the Watch straps, esp the metal ones.

Dont buy from Apple then...there will be a massive 3rd party market for these straps once the watch is released in which you will be able to spend whatever you want on a strap i would have thought.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The strap connection is standard and will just be 2 sizes. So all 42mm will fit all 42mm (38mm same). The will likely be a HUGE number of 3ed party bands from cheep Chinese no name bulk to high end fashion brands.

Also it looks like the Apple bands are going to be very high quality and high end too. Here is what Benjamin Clymer said:

"...Apple absolutely, positively, indisputably NAILED its straps and bracelets. In addition to offering a bevy of options from leather to fluoroelastomer to link bracelets to Milanese, it is here that you really see how much attention Apple was paying to the way people wear watches, and the how bad existing options were....".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Hmm...I just bought a new case for my iPhone 5s. It's a 3rd party silicon case and was $30. So are they ripping us off too?

By all accounts from those who were at Apple's event these watch bands are top notch, very high quality. Benjamin Clymer said the bands are as good as you'd find on high end watches. On Apple's website they say it takes 9 hours to produce one stainless steel link band. Seems to me there's very little Apple skimped out on in terms of quality of materials with this product.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Hmm...I just bought a new case for my iPhone 5s. It's a 3rd party silicon case and was $30. So are they ripping us off too?

By all accounts from those who were at Apple's event these watch bands are top notch, very high quality. Benjamin Clymer said the bands are as good as you'd find on high end watches. On Apple's website they say it takes 9 hours to produce one stainless steel link band. Seems to me there's very little Apple skimped out on in terms of quality of materials with this product.

Or course they are.

I would do the same, if I can use 10 cents of polymer pellets, in my molding machine I rate at 100 dollars a hour for machine costs and labor, and can churn out 1 every 30 seconds, and sell them to you for $30 each then I'm a VERY happy bunnie. :D

As with everything, they will charge the price people will pay, mostly has very very little to do with the cost to make it. In fact you can sell it too cheap so that people want to pay more as it can't be very good if it's too cheap can it? You often simply ramp the price up so that people will buy it.

To be fair, for the most part, other than actual design and decisions I disagree with, I don't question the actual quality of the parts. Ok, the quality control is a bit lax often, but the good parts are very good.

I myself am very practical and logical and try and see things for what they are. I struggle with anything 'Designer' when I can buy something that looks 95% the same, and it 1/4 the price.

Sunglasses being another example :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.