Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
We replaced our family laptop to an iPad a year or so ago, when we have our holidays photos etc from our camera they are copied across to the iPad via the sd card adapter. Now the iPad is full with all our albums.

What do people do to effectively "bank" these photos in the home for good, it used to be that there would be lots on the computers hard drive but what now?

I have been moving them over to shared photo streams as this seems good since they are easily accessible on the iPads photo app but it still stores them all on the iPad (at least low res thumbnails till they load up). This is good because it 'banks' the event and it can be shared with people privately either by adding them to the stream or sending them the public link.

These are family photos which do not belong on sites like Flickr or facebook.

Additionally it would be brilliant if these photos were then available to view on say the Apple TV without using another device to screen share. - are the shared photo streams available to view on the Apple TV already? We don't have one but would buy it if we could work it in this way !?

Last edited:

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but you can get an external hard drive that creates its own wifi network. Sandisk and seagate as well as some other companies make them.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I don't think a network drive makes any difference because there is no way (I know of) to use it with an ipad?

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
As SHirsch999 said. Look at the Voyager Air 2. That device creates its own wifi network and you download their app and you can save files to that drive via wifi. No need to plug the drive into the iPad. I have one and it works well.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Additionally it would be brilliant if these photos were then available to view on say the Apple TV without using another device to screen share. - are the shared photo streams available to view on the Apple TV already? We don't have one but would buy it if we could work it in this way !?

Your entire photo stream is avaiable on Apple TV, not just the shared streams. There's a setting on AppleTV where you log into your icloud account, and all your pictures show up on the TV.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Whatever solution you go with, BE SURE to check that you've transferred full resolution copies of your photos before deleting them on the iPad. MANY photo apps and storage schemes will, by default, transfer reduced resolution versions of your photos with little or no warning, though they may allow full resolution transfer if specified in the settings.

Not all on-line storage is created equal; I would not put Flickr and Facebook in the same category. I use Flickr for personal photos, but avoid Facebook like the plague it is. You can set Flickr to not allow anyone else to see photos, nor allow any to show up in web searches. If you've ruled it (or similar on-line storage) out summarily, you may want to rethink, as you might find it fits your purposes well (viewing directly on AppleTV, etc.).

Network drives are also a good idea. You can get a WiFi-creating hub that will transfer from SD card to generic hard drive. I'm not sure how this would allow viewing on AppleTV without being shared by the iPad, though.

I know someone who lost all the photos from a once-in-a-lifetime trip because they trusted them to a single device (an iPad), so be careful until you're backed up. And, be especially careful after you think you're backed up, but before you know you're backed up.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Your entire photo stream is avaiable on Apple TV, not just the shared streams. There's a setting on AppleTV where you log into your icloud account, and all your pictures show up on the TV.

Photo stream is not your entire library.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Photo stream is not your entire library.

True, but everything in your photo stream shows up, not just the shared photo streams.

Edit:
To clarify, photo stream = pictures you take on your Pad, iPhone, and upload from your computer.
Shared photo stream = subset of photo stream you've shared with other people.

Last edited:

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I think the SanDisk connect is your answer, from what understand you can send your photos all there via its own wifi/Bluetooth connection,

Just double check first, but i think this is correct,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.