Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
On that note. I am upgrading my 5, and can't decide which iphone to get. The new ones both take fantastic video. Is the plus worth the extra size for optical stabilization.

I'm leaning towards the plus currently.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yes, the plus will be better overall. That being said, consider the differences in actually taking shots with a larger and more cumbersome vs smaller and more convenient sized camera (phone). Will it affect how your pictures and video turn out? Yes. Not saying it will be for better or for worse, however.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
On that note. I am upgrading my 5, and can't decide which iphone to get. The new ones both take fantastic video. Is the plus worth the extra size for optical stabilization.

I'm leaning towards the plus currently.

What kind of videos do you shoot? You really can't do serious video work with a phone. The lens is a fixed focal length and there are many other limitations. Does the phone even have a tripod socket?

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
It wouldn't be my main camera obviously. It's just easier then carrying around a black magic pocket camera. Right now just mainly pr and advertisements. Although I'm a student that recently started film school. So I do not have a production job currently.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
There are, of course, tripod mounts for cell phone cameras.

Optical stabilization is better than not having it, though if you have a blackmagic PC, I think I would find a way to carry it everywhere. :)

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
It wouldn't be my main camera obviously. It's just easier then carrying around a black magic pocket camera. Right now just mainly pr and advertisements. Although I'm a student that recently started film school. So I do not have a production job currently.

If you can do try to get the 6 plus... you're demo reel will suffer from vibration/camera shake if you don't, and you have to make sure your demo reel is as good as possible to get those early jobs.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
If you can do try to get the 6 plus... you're demo reel will suffer from vibration/camera shake if you don't, and you have to make sure your demo reel is as good as possible to get those early jobs.

Already got it. It was the easy decision. It would've been stupid not to.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

A lot of people seem to be glossing over this but the OIS is only available to photos I believe and stabilisation is added in post to BOTH models with video.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
A lot of people seem to be glossing over this but the OIS is only available to photos I believe and stabilisation is added in post to BOTH models with video.

Either way it was a good call to get this. I'll figure out which bag to keep my pocket in and see if carrying it around is realistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.