Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I'm curious to know if anyone has consolidated and got rid of their iPad or use it less.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I had a 5s and mini retina. Upgraded to 6 plus and air. Much better duo for me. If money was tight, I could do without the iPad as the 6 plus is pretty darn awesome.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I've yet to receive my 6+ but I'm contemplating it which, based on my signature, would obviously be a big decision! I'm going to try to go a month without touching my Air. If I can make it happily then I might sell the Air...

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
It hasn't totally replaced my iPad Air yet, but it has definitely taken a good chunk of its' use time away. I honestly don't think it's due to the "shiny new object" mystique either. A lot of things I do day to day just feel a lot more comfortable on the bigger iPhone screen.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Interesting. I would be gung ho about getting a 6 Plus if iPad exclusive apps worked on it.

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Yep! I sold my iPad 3 16GB right before my iPhone 6 Plus came in the mail. I hardly used it anyhow. I was actually planning on getting a iPad Mini until the rumors started floating around about a larger iPhone awhile back.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I had a 5s and mini retina. Upgraded to 6 plus and air. Much better duo for me. If money was tight, I could do without the iPad as the 6 plus is pretty darn awesome.

I think THIS is probably the most common combo that we will see from people buying the 6+...IF they also want an iPad. Makes the most sense to me.

I bought a 6 and kept my larger iPad to keep it more "diverse" in size.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Won't replace my iPad completely. but I'm using the plus more for things I would ordinarily do on the iPad. Never had nor do I want the mini, too odd of size for my needs.

gpatrick15

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
One of the main reasons I picked up the 6 Plus is to cut back on my iPad 3 usage. I use my iPad 3 mostly for reading ebooks while I'm out and about. Since I just got the Plus yesterday, I'm using today as a test run to see if it could replace my iPad as a reader. For other things, especially while at home, I may still use my iPad, but I hopefully won't be carrying it everywhere I go.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Yup sold my retina mini yesterday and shipping it out today. I have a 27" iMac at home for work and the 6 Plus as my only mobile device.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
I was planning on getting a new mini when they are released in the next month or two but debating whether to just go with the +. Tough decision. If I could have two iPhones share the same mobile number I would order a plus anyways.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah my Plus has replaced my Retina Mini, but I haven't sold it yet. I think I'm going to let the wife use it, or perhaps replace it with an iPad Air or the rumored iPad Pro and mainly keep it as a couch computer. Though my Plus makes a pretty damn good couch computer. I used to find myself reaching for my iPad when I wanted to shop online because the experience was usually better, but this is pretty good. Also streaming videos look really great, and it's much more comfortable to hold than an iPad. My wife still uses an iPhone 5 and refuses to get a bigger phone, so the iPad will still be her main device for browsing the web. I'll probably mostly use it for casual editing and organizing files in Lightroom, drawing with my Adobe Ink & Slide—more creative stuff.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
Got my 6+ today.

Before I used an iPhone 5 and iPad 2.

So far its going to be able to cover what both the others did for me.

With one device.

Very pleased.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
It hasn't totally replaced my iPad Air yet, but it has definitely taken a good chunk of its' use time away. I honestly don't think it's due to the "shiny new object" mystique either. A lot of things I do day to day just feel a lot more comfortable on the bigger iPhone screen.

This. Exactly what I would respond to the question.
It doesn't replace it, but it reduces the times I use my iPad Air. Would never sell it though, watching movies is less difficult than on a 5s but I still prefer iPad's big screen.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Yes.

Sold my iPad mini and iPhone 5, just going with the 6+ as the day to day casual (and something work related) device.

Other devices are a 27" iMac for my workstation, and an 11" Macbook Air for on-location workstation.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Girlfriend replaced her iPad 2 with the 6. I replaced my iPad with the 6+..

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
The 6 Plus has not replaced my iPad. One of the big reasons is that I got cellular with my iPad for this gen.

Also, I do a lot of PDF markups for my academic work and it is easier on my iPad.

I have switched over to reading more Kindle books on my phone, but usually because the phone is always with me, while the iPad is put away at night or for short trips anywhere.

I do use the phone more often for web browsing, which surprised me, because I thought it would be too small, but it is just the right size for casual browsing. For anything more extended, though, I grab the iPad.

The iPad is just too necessary for my academic work for my phone to replace it. Still play graphics intensive games on the iPad, too.

My phone gets more use now, and my iPad a little less for some tasks, but I don't see either replacing the other anytime soon. I actually wish the 6 Plus were a little larger, but even then it would not replace my iPad.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've gotten the Air 2... And it hasn't replaced my 6 Plus. The screen real estate on the Air 2 is always refreshing to use coming from the 6 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.